Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For those that swear by KZG...

KZJ suffer a bad fate too
    well, we still have some deer-lookalike psu with each rail using 2x 1800uF/16v KZJ and none of those PSU have failed yet. psu are some p4s and athlon xp in our net cafe. i glad i conducted that experiment in that 2006. it's been 3 years..
    days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by ant3202
      KZJ suffer a bad fate too

only one is pic showing.. and i would like to know what capacitance and voltage are those black KZJ? usually chemicon use three line date code style, and those KZJ are just different, they use 2 lines...
      Attached Files

Comment

oh wait, maybe it just the angles..

Comment

These are some leaking Chemi-con KZG from a HP Motherboard. I replaced them with panasonic and the mosfets gave off smoke. I then discovered two pins on the CPU socket were touching!
          Attached Files
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
            These are some leaking Chemi-con KZG from a HP Motherboard. I replaced them with panasonic and the mosfets gave off smoke. I then discovered two pins on the CPU socket were touching!

Yup, thats lga775 for ya. Great idea intel.

Comment

Gateway Profile 5 => 17" & 19" nVidia 5200 video board ~ has [4] KZG 6.3v 1500uF ~ ambient cooled card => [1] only slightly bulged on bottom & proved to
              be the culprit ~ undocumented troubleshooting of these machines // removing the
              video board enables intel northbridge video [*note* the 15" versions all came stock
              without the nVidia card & the Profile 5.5 have a completely different system board
              and also a completely different ATI video board in the same case]

Comment

Did Chemicon ever fix the problem with KZG and KGJ caps?

I just replaced several KZGs, even though none bulged or had ESRs above 0.01 ohm.

Comment

That should have been KZG & KZJ.
                  No one official has even admitted there is a problem.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

personally I had several problems with KZG series
                    in my case I see bulged 820mf, 2200mf and 3300mf /all 6.3v
                    (specially the 3300 mf is the worst)
                    I recommend avoid and destroy chemicon KZG series like the plague

/thread

Comment

i need to post my video of several thousand new kzg being poured into the dumpster.
                      i got them in a surplus buy and found they cant even take power supply duty.popped in 6 months.even crapxon last longer than that.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                        i need to post my video of several thousand new kzg being poured into the dumpster.
                        i got them in a surplus buy and found they cant even take power supply duty.popped in 6 months.even crapxon last longer than that.
                        Please do!

Comment

I hate KZG. Intel still uses them on some of their new boards like their DH61BE on the VRM...and almost every Dell computer that was made from 2005-2008 that comes in usually has bad KZG

Yes please do
                          Last edited by Pentium4; 03-26-2013, 10:35 AM.

Comment

You let me down big time. You should have poured them onto a fire
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Hmm... I have a motherboard full of KZG, and it's been running almost 24/7 since 2007 with no issues. As for the power supply, the original Liteon power supply died (low 5vsb), then the Hipro replacement died (same problem, visually confirmed bad caps on this one), then the Dynex replacement for that died too (erratic operation). Now, I'm running an ancient Astec out of a broken Gateway from 1999. It's full of Nichicon (LQ for the primaries, PX(?) for almost everything else). It should last a while. These caps are so old that the primaries say "CE" (French for "Electrolytic Condenser", covered in another thread) and refer to the voltage rating as "WV" (working voltage)...
                              Last edited by cheapie; 03-26-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

^ You are fortunate that those KZGs have not failed yet after all that time, though it's possible they have since they can easily fail without any indication in terms of sensory (and your computer may not POST if you reboot...). KZGs will inevitably fail because there is something fundamentally wrong with their electrolyte (a chemical process takes place that cannot be deterred in the long run), somewhat unlike mediocre (at best) Taiwanese capacitors where it's more the impurities of the aluminimum/foil that leech into the electrolyte and cause failure (which can be at least prolonged if stress and heat is kept away from such capacitors). However, unlike cheap Chinese and Taiwanese capacitors, KZG still have good aluminum and foil and besides their electrolyte are high quality and Japanese so if you keep them away from heat and stress they could last a while too (wouldn't be surprised if they didn't, though...)... I'd recommend replacing them all either way.

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                I hate KZG. Intel still uses them on some of their new boards like their DH61BE on the VRM...and almost every Dell computer that was made from 2005-2008 that comes in usually has bad KZG
                                Not surprised they failed, the VRM circuit is one of the most stressful parts of the motherboard (if not the most).
                                Last edited by Wester547; 03-27-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Just saw this review, seems like Asus still likes Total Krap and KZG

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asus/510...od-review.html

Comment

Another ASUS RMA on just a year old board today... Yesterday I got a P5RD1-VM full of bloated KZGs... Lasted 7 years though I think.

Avoid motherboards with APAQ polymers like the plague. Also, I don't trust the quality of HEXFETs Gigabyte uses...
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

"HexFET" was a trademarked name of International Rectifier, until they sold that part of their line to Siliconix (Ironically!) about 5 years ago. Siliconix is part of Vishay. Are you seeing problems with Vishay-Siliconix parts of the older HexFET type? The reason IR sold the line is because it was basically at the limit of what the technology could do - especially in R(DS On). AFAIK, modern high-performance parts don't use any form of the hexagonal cell design technology.
                                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I cross-referenced Chemi-Con KZG to new KZN series (if you can get them!), but even though ripple current for KZN is slightly better, the ESR is not as good as KZG.
                                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                                          "HexFET" was a trademarked name of International Rectifier, until they sold that part of their line to Siliconix (Ironically!) about 5 years ago. Siliconix is part of Vishay. Are you seeing problems with Vishay-Siliconix parts of the older HexFET type? The reason IR sold the line is because it was basically at the limit of what the technology could do - especially in R(DS On). AFAIK, modern high-performance parts don't use any form of the hexagonal cell design technology.
                                          Interesting...

Just guessing that they're the weakest link on Gigabyte boards, that's all... I have no other basis for my assumption since I can't imagine what else would cause Gigabyte "Ultra Durable" boards to conk out... On Asus boards I'm pretty sure that it's those Apaq Polymers degrading over a short amount of time.
                                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                          X