Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not enough new wireless devices suporting 5GHz operation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99u0BOxVMJs

The main products of concern are media devices, notebooks, netbooks and handheld devices with wireless networking capability.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Not enough new wireless devices suporting 5GHz operation

Yep, I wholeheartedly agree.

I have a D-Link DIR-855 Quadband Router, 2.4GHz/5.0GHz and the only kit that links at 5.0GHz is my laptop - and that's because of the fact I installed a better network card, Intel 4965AGN, and added a third wireless antenna within the laptop lid.
    System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

It's going to be a while. Look at USB 3.0 - been around for years, just now barely starting to show up on new consumer stuff.

Also why does this guy never look at the camera?

Comment

Who needs it?

Give me wired networking over wireless anyday... All houses should be built with cat6 cabling.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          Who needs it?

Give me wired networking over wireless anyday... All houses should be built with cat6 cabling.
          For me (and I imagine a whole lot of others) it's not a case of need, more a case of wanting it for simplicity, convenience and ease of use. I use wired and wireless, the method of connection for different equipment chosen dependant on my particular requirements for that equipment.

Wireless is the way forward, but each to his own
          System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Who needs it?

Agreed
            My Computer.
            AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
            Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
            Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
            500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
            1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
            2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
              For me (and I imagine a whole lot of others) it's not a case of need, more a case of wanting it for simplicity, convenience and ease of use. I use wired and wireless, the method of connection for different equipment chosen dependant on my particular requirements for that equipment.

Wireless is the way forward, but each to his own
              It's nice to have wireless... I watch EEV Blog and Starcraft replays in the washroom. Also Red Letter Media sometimes... But for them to keep developing this... I don't know how healthy wireless is. Wireless routers are not as unhealthy as bluetooth or cellphone near the brain, but I imagine the faster they make it, the more unhealthy...

I have a simple G router in my house with linux on it, it fits my needs...
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

It's nice to have wireless... I watch EEV Blog and Starcraft replays in the washroom. Also Red Letter Media sometimes... But for them to keep developing this... I don't know how healthy wireless is. Wireless routers are not as unhealthy as bluetooth or cellphone near the brain, but I imagine the faster they make it, the more unhealthy...

I have a simple G router in my house with linux on it, it fits my needs...
                Sure, that's the most important factor - whatever suits you and your situation, requirements, setup etc.. And portability has plenty of advantages.

As for health issues, I tend not to worry about radio waves; breathing and inhaling this shitty Earth atmosphere is most probably doing me more harm than anything else in my environment...

Comment

Sure, that's the most important factor - whatever suits you and your situation, requirements, setup etc.. And portability has plenty of advantages.

As for health issues, I tend not to worry about radio waves; breathing and inhaling this shitty Earth atmosphere is most probably doing me more harm than anything else in my environment...
                  the main reason I am thinking of upgrading my laptop to an 3 antenna N dualband card is range. There are times where the increased range helps a lot in my usage.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

This is my current configuration -

Wired:
                    - Router
                    - PC #1

Wireless:
                    - PC #2
                    - 3x laptops
                    - Mobile phone

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      the main reason I am thinking of upgrading my laptop to an 3 antenna N dualband card is range. There are times where the increased range helps a lot in my usage.
                      You got a big house then?

My place is small so range isn't that important right now. The main advantage of my wireless connections is simply that - no wires!
                      Last edited by dumpystig; 10-24-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

You got a big house then?

My place is small so range isn't that important right now. The main advantage of my wireless connections is simply that - no wires!
                        not at home so much.

more like college campus... and other places.
                        sigpic

Comment

Gotcha. I was a bit dumb there, not thinking of you being out and about with your laptop. My only usage outdoors is with my phone, but my Network provides my internet connection - now and then I may hookup to the local McD's when I'm there.

Comment

why are we so worried about 5ghz? 802.11g is still not perfect-I've had wireless routers still not like some adapters. Some N/G routers have trouble in mixed mode. Why is 54mbps not sufficient now a days?
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                              why are we so worried about 5ghz? 802.11g is still not perfect-I've had wireless routers still not like some adapters. Some N/G routers have trouble in mixed mode. Why is 54mbps not sufficient now a days?
                              5ghz is better than 2.4ghz... 2.4ghz anymore is so crowded with crap.. cordless phones, bluetooth, wireless mice and keyboards,etc. 5ghz is much less used and allows for better signal quality.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                My router and wireless adapters are all D-Link so work flawlessly together, as does the Intel adapter. All are Draft-N and I get 270Mb/s

Comment

You may get a 270Mbps connection but how much can you get through? Does the D-Link offer Gigabit which would be required to get anything above 100Mbps?
                                  sig files are for morons

Comment

HAHA good question! I think the best it's done is just under 80Mb/s. But it does have 4x Gigabit LAN ports (I only use one ATM).

Comment

Well I think the problem is that the wireless frequencies are all so saturated at this point that any new channel used is just a temporary fix. For example everybody says the 2.4GHz has so much interference, great let's just use 5GHz. Another short while until everybody has that same idea and oh dear now 5GHx is saturated and susceptible to interference!
                                      That's just going to be an endless cycle,

PS: I never figured out why (on my Netgear router for example) it's got 300Mbps wireless but not gigabit ethernet ports (only 10/100)...WTF? Isn't that making it totally useless?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                        Well I think the problem is that the wireless frequencies are all so saturated at this point that any new channel used is just a temporary fix. For example everybody says the 2.4GHz has so much interference, great let's just use 5GHz. Another short while until everybody has that same idea and oh dear now 5GHx is saturated and susceptible to interference!
                                        That's just going to be an endless cycle,

PS: I never figured out why (on my Netgear router for example) it's got 300Mbps wireless but not gigabit ethernet ports (only 10/100)...WTF? Isn't that making it totally useless?

wifi-to-wifi communication has greater throughput then wired in that case

maybe some future specification will have a dynamic range capable of thousands of channels with a great ghz/thz range, but we still have to overcome problems
                                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                        X