Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preemptively Recap Motherboard?

Originally posted by diif View Post
    I've been looking at the ss-02 for desoldering, i like the idea of the silicone at the end to get really close to the job.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/innovative-s...ds=desoldering
    just put some H30X25 hellerman sleeve on the end of any pump.

Comment

looks familiar!
      http://www.dx.com/p/lodestar-l304017...-yellow-284773

this is the one sold by weller:
      http://www.dx.com/p/pro-skit-8pk-366...k-green-192877

and this is a variant with better grip:
      http://www.dx.com/p/wlxy-ll-101-deso...k-green-258505

Comment

The patents on the original Edsyn Soldapullt DS017 expired quite a while ago. So the new clones might be every bit as good. But I don't like the designs that continue half the tube to provide plunger protection. I have to keep shifting my grip on those to be able to work the plunger with my thumb. With the Soldapullt DS017 configuration you keep your thumb on the trigger button while you flip the pump around and press it against the bench (or your chest) to get ready for the next joint.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          just put some H30X25 hellerman sleeve on the end of any pump.
          Thanks for that tip.
          I think i'll get some next time i place an order.

Comment

My impressions of a new GY-059 desoldering pump:

The GY-059 looks very similar to an Edsyn Soldapullt DS017. I would say that it was intended to look identical, but there are a few small but noticeable differences if you are looking for them. The plastic is a darker blue, and some parts have slightly different corners, or rounding. Barrel parts will not quite interchange with those from an Edsyn DS017; the locking tabs are a different size. I could not push out the tip from the GY-059 without removing the end cap, despite the pictorial instructions indicating this method (the cocking piston appears to be a little too short). The tip appears to interchange with an Edsyn SRT12, but it is not built exactly the same. The lettering "NO SOLVENTS OR HEAT" and "COVERED BY U.S. AND FOREIGN PATENTS & PENDING APPLICATIONS" on the side of the barrel are in a slightly different font.

Suction appears to be excellent, both by the thumb test and in actual use. The release is smooth enough that the tip does not hop around. The tip did not melt or deform when I contacted it for a short time with a Hakko FX-888D with a 3.2mm chisel tip set to 350 C. I can't say anything about long-term reliability, but while new I found the operation of this tool to be essentially indistinguishable from an original Edsyn Soldapullt DS017.
            Last edited by Uniballer; 08-19-2014, 07:09 PM.

Comment

It seems that the rod that cleans out the tip might be a little smaller on the GY-059, and the tip I.D. is definitely a little bigger. In any case there is a bigger gap between the inside of the tip and the cleanout rod. I haven't seen any ill effects from this yet.
              Last edited by Uniballer; 08-20-2014, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Excellent, well-worded review Uniballer. I've been considering purchasing one of the knock-offs for some time now. By the way, the tips are made of teflon, and I've seen Chinese replacements available inexpensively.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

teflon or not, they will melt.
                  put some hellerman on the end.

Comment

Teflon has a maximum temperature of 300C... The tubing you're recommending has a maximum temperature of 95C according to the datasheet. How exactly will it prevent the tip from melting?
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

the hellerman sleeve is used slightly overhanging the end of the tip by about 3-4mm
                      it creates a seal to make the pump work over 100% better than before.

yes, hellerman sleeve will burn - very slowly.
                      first it will harden slightly, then go brown, then crack.
                      it takes hundreds of desoldering uses for that to happen.
                      and you get the sleeves in a bag of 100 or more and cut them in 2.
                      so it's a reasonable "consumable item" to use.

Comment

Thank you, that's a very useful bit of information.

Comment

Working...
                        X