Nichicon HM/HN/HZ scheduled for discontinuation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nichicon HM/HN/HZ scheduled for discontinuation

MBZ/MCZ are gone, our nichi favs are next. Lets hope nichicon makes a good replacement
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: Nichicon HM/HN/HZ scheduled for discontinuation

Nooooooooo. Topcat can't get Panny FJ/FL, so who's gonna replace Nich? Suncon/Sanyo maybe?

EDIT: MBZ/MCZ are not actually discontinued. Rubycon just only sell them to motherboard manufacturers now.
    Last edited by c_hegge; 07-15-2012, 02:44 AM.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I have heard rumbles about this from a couple unofficial sources, but nothing 'straight from the horses mouth' so-to-speak....but I am stocking up just incase....
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Noooo!!!!
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          I have heard rumbles about this from a couple unofficial sources, but nothing 'straight from the horses mouth' so-to-speak....but I am stocking up just incase....

heres your 'horses mouth'

http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/pr...ini/pict_f.htm

Comment

^
            Official enough for me. Noooooooooooooooo!

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

People don't buy PCs anymore... When they do, it's either bottom of the barrel stuff they would never get repaired, or really high end stuff that uses good polymers. We'll have to rely on shady Chinese new old stock. I think Samxon stopped making GC/GD a long time ago. And HZ was the only capacitor of its class in production.

The frenzy of fanaticism for polymers also caused this... There's only a few good polymer makers out there, but the plethora of inferior polymer manufacturers have contributed to this... The difference with inferior polymers and inferior electrolytics is that inferior polymers don't usually bloat. Asus and kin will now be able to get away with selling junk.

You have to admit though, they have good reason to discontinue it. I've wondered myself who is actually buying new stock besides ourselves.
              Last edited by mockingbird; 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                Yup...I guess that's that. Time to really start hoarding, they haven't stopped accepting new orders.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

did I do good master? did I do good??

heh really I wish I would of brought it to your attention earlier but while I was going adding nichis to the database and trying to figure out which ones were already schedule to be discontuned I discovered that disturbing little fact

now all we have to do is hoard. Perhaps you should contract with rubycon to make badcaps brand capacitors! No wait, putting 'badcaps' on a capacitor might not be a good idea

Comment

This is bad news

Comment

The thing that strikes me as odd - not questioning the basic news story - is that I don't see a replacement for these series. Is the HV series as good or better? If not, are some news series about to be rolled out? Or have they come to the conclusion that these series are too finicky to manufacture with consistent quality? Is Nichicon's lunch being eaten by cheap crap combined with short-sighted customer decisions? I'm just trying to figure out what Nichicon is doing in business strategy.
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

No, HV is miniaturized HD, so it's equivalent to Panasonic FR series. And I don't think I've ever seen it stocked anywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                          The thing that strikes me as odd - not questioning the basic news story - is that I don't see a replacement for these series. Is the HV series as good or better? If not, are some news series about to be rolled out? Or have they come to the conclusion that these series are too finicky to manufacture with consistent quality? Is Nichicon's lunch being eaten by cheap crap combined with short-sighted customer decisions? I'm just trying to figure out what Nichicon is doing in business strategy.
                          Looks like we may have to use HD. HD seems fine for motherboards.
                          My Asus A7N266-VM has HDs along with HMs. It has HDs next to the DIMM slots.

Looks like Nichicon is trying to shove us to HD. :/
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-16-2012, 03:01 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Shoot, they're a step higher in ESR than HM. :/

This looks like short-sighted management at Nichicon.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

That is all sad news indeed .

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              Time to really start hoarding
                              Indeed.
                              I have a good source of used Nichicon HN and HZ in only a few certain sizes, as well as MCZ. Time to heat up the iron and start pulling them.

Comment

So poly-modding motherboards will become routine practice. Right?

Comment

Could poly-modding power supplies be routine practice too?
                                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

^
                                    No. Not unless you modify the feedback loop

Comment

By the way, the table says you replaced the 220uF 16V RLS on the -12V with 330uF 6.3V SEPs.

Comment

One option might be to insert a current sense resistor in series with the cap to compensate for the lower ESR when recapping with poly caps.

I think I might could understand where Nichicon is coming from on their decision to discontinue the series in question... I can only wonder about sales figures... I think that most newer mobos nowadays are being designed with poly caps... there might not be enough demand for those series to justify taking the time and effort to continue doing production runs for them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X