Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV Tuner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung DTB-H260F HDTV Tuner

The 450uF cap is probably OK. I replaced it just for the heck of it. If you do all of the others you should be good. Try replacing the two 1000uF caps first if you are just starting out.

Comment

in my case replacing the 2 1000uF only solved the issue .

Comment

Yeah. What he said. The 2 1000uF are most likely the causing the problem. I have a bunch of 1000uF 16v Panasonic FC caps if you want 2 of them.

Comment

Good news! A friend who's good at this kind of thing replaced all but the big 450v capacitor, and now it works! Thanks for the help!

Comment

gracias pude reparar mi sintonizador

Comment

I just googled "Samsung DTB-H260F problems" and came across this site. My unit has similar symptoms and I hope this will fix the issue. Thanks bluto for posting the information. The benefit of this problem being common is that this page was easy to find.

I have a few questions since some of you seem knowledgeable about this Samsung tuner.

1. Can I buy these caps at Radio Shack? There is one on my way home and it would be nice to fix the unit tonight.

2. The switch on the back for 720p/1080i, should I set that to the highest resolution that the TV is capable of? Some shows I receive are 720P and others are 1080i. I assume you just set it to what the TV is capable of regardless of what the particular broadcast you are watching is shown in. The manual isn't overly clear.

3. For those that delete channels from the channel manager, when you select the programming guide do you still have the deleted channels show in the guide? Mine does and when ever you get to one of those deleted channels, you have to wait about ~12 seconds for the guide information to display. The annoying part about this is that the picture and sound goes away until the information comes up. Since I deleted the channels from the channel manager, I don't want them in the guide either and the interruptions they cause are annoying.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Radio Shack only sells general purpose capacitors according to many people here. Ideally, you want low ESR capacitors made by Panasonic, Rubycon or Nippon Chemicon.

But if you are in a rush, yes the Radio Shack capacitors will work. You can see many videos on Youtube where people use Radio Shack caps to replace the bad caps. Just get the right uF, voltage, and size.

PS. Radio Shack is called The Source in Canada and looks nothing like the old Radio Shack of old. The Source has very limited selection of caps.

Originally posted by hanlrb

1. Can I buy these caps at Radio Shack? There is one on my way home and it would be nice to fix the unit tonight.

Thanks for your help!
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Okay, couple of follow up questions:

1. I was able to get my hands on some 1000uF 16V caps. Can I use these instead of the 10V caps? What is the impact of using these?

2. The brand of caps are ic which is Illinois Capacitor (http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/). I don't see them on the list of either good or bad here (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=388). Does anyone know about them?

Comment

A1. If the original caps on the board are 1000uF and 10V and your new replacement caps are 1000uF and 16V, then yes, you can use a higher V. Just make sure the new caps fit width and height wise.

A2. Never heard of them. The website allows you to choose high frequency, low esr caps, but they don't say what brand? I'm pretty sure they will work.

Most people who live in the USA suggest digikey.com or mouser.com.

Okay, couple of follow up questions:

1. I was able to get my hands on some 1000uF 16V caps. Can I use these instead of the 10V caps? What is the impact of using these?

2. The brand of caps are ic which is Illinois Capacitor (http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/). I don't see them on the list of either good or bad here (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=388). Does anyone know about them?
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes you can always go higher on the voltage rating, just not lower.

Radio Shack caps are junk.

Illinois capacitor has several different series of radial electrolytic capacitors. http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/pro...ctrolytic.aspx

Ideally you would use their 'RZS' series which are listed as "High Frequency Low ESR". Others would work, but might not last as long.

You should set the switch on the back to the highest setting that the TV will support.

Not really sure about deleted channels in the guide.

Comment

Originally posted by bluto
                        Yes you can always go higher on the voltage rating, just not lower.
                        Great, thanks! I'm curious, why is okay to go higher on the voltage? What is happening electrically with the 16V cap versus the 10V cap?

Comment

Illinois capacitor has several different series of radial electrolytic capacitors. http://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/pr...ectrolytic.aspx

Ideally you would use their 'RZS' series which are listed as "High Frequency Low ESR". Others would work, but might not last as long.
                          I can't tell which series of caps these are. The attached pics are from my phone and you can't read the text very well, but it says:

"CKEM"
                          "B105 degrees C"

I searched their site for CKEM and can't find anything. Maybe it's a discontinued line?
                          Attached Files

Comment

I wonder if it is the CKE series at

If yes, they are "general purpose" caps.

I can't tell which series of caps these are. The attached pics are from my phone and you can't read the text very well, but it says:

"CKEM"
                            "B105 degrees C"

I searched their site for CKEM and can't find anything. Maybe it's a discontinued line?
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The voltage rating of the capacitor is the maximum allowed voltage that the capacitor can tolerate. Think of the voltage as electrical 'pressure'. The higher the voltage, the higher the pressure. So when a 10v capacitor is used, the circuit that it is in should be no more than 10 volts. Substituting a 16v capacitor in will not change the voltage supplied by the circuit. Think of it as if you were substituting in a pipe the same diameter, but could withstand a higher pressure. Using the original amount of pressure in this hypothetical new pipe would make no difference. I hope that makes sense.
                              Last edited by bluto; 05-25-2010, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks bluto and retiredcaps. I was able to replace the cap tonight and the unit is working again. Glad to have it fixed!

Comment

The voltage rating of the capacitor is the maximum allowed voltage that the capacitor can tolerate. Think of the voltage as electrical 'pressure'. The higher the voltage, the higher the pressure. So when a 10v capacitor is used, the circuit that it is in should be no more than 10 volts. Substituting a 16v capacitor in will not change the voltage supplied by the circuit. Think of it as if you were substituting in a pipe the same diameter, but could withstand a higher pressure. Using the original amount of pressure in this hypothetical new pipe would make no difference. I hope that makes sense.
                                  Okay so is it correct to say that a cap designed to withstand higher voltage is more robust than one spec'd at a lower voltage? If so, would using the 16V cap that I did give it a longer lifetime than my old 10V cap?

Comment

It won't hurt. But still the most important thing is the low ESR rating, high temp (105c) rating, and the overall built quality of the capacitor.

Comment

Wanted to thank everyone for posting this info. My DTB died about a year ago, and was about to finally throw it away. The fix was replacing the one bad cap. Total cost $1.23 at Fry's.

Comment

I have the same Samsung DTB-HDTV Tuner that died like others. After reading other threads from this site, I did check my capacitors on the power supply. Specificly The 1000uf 10volt. The capacitor in front of the heat sink labled PPCD1 was bad. I am like bluto in his thread, for the cost replace all. It is worth it. My set is revived to perform again. Thanks to bluto and others for the info. I just wanted to share that this was very helpful to me and hope it helps others.

Comment

I had four of these units all with same problem - no power. Did just what you said and it fixed all 4.
                                          Replaced the two 1000uFd and the two 470 uFd caps on secondary side.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X