X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by DeanCollins View Post
    hmmm can I get a second confirming that its just glue?

That sucks as it is the only obvious thing I can see.
    Looks very much like glue to me. They typically use glue on big capacitors and other large parts during assembly.

Many times a fault is not visually obvious. Capacitors can also dry out, causing the same failure but no visible signs. Only way to check for sure is with an ESR and capacitance meter.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Glue/RTV is also used for mechanical stability under shock and vibration.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        Same picture as in the badcaps photo gallery

They have the Fairchild F, with no dash through the F and they just look cheap. I will post a picture of them later tonight
        Ahh yes, I have seen those! I pulled a pair of 13007's and 13009's out of a pair of YueLin YLP-013's. I just called them "Jairchild" as I could not find any manufacturer information.

In fact, I just found them:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
          . I just called them "Jairchild" as I could not find any manufacturer information.
          Mine actually look different though, I couldn't for the life of me get a good picture of them with my phone but this is the best pic I got
          Attached Files

Comment

Mine actually look different though, I couldn't for the life of me get a good picture of them with my phone but this is the best pic I got
            They are definitely fairchild parts you have there.
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
              They are definitely fairchild parts you have there.
              It's weird though, the one you can't see on the left has a different style F than the one on the right.

Comment

It's weird though, the one you can't see on the left has a different style F than the one on the right.
                Like this one? That is a toshiba made transistor.
                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

This thing came in a case. CWT, you should be ashamed! This thing is so bad. No input filtering, 330uF input caps (They're actually 220uF) 13007's, one of the smallest main transformers I've seen in an ATX PSU, 16A for 3.3V and 5V. 10A for 12V. hardly any filtering, tiny output coils. Look at the grounding wire for the transformer This thing is just horrible.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This thing came in a case. CWT, you should be ashamed! This thing is so bad. No input filtering, 330uF input caps (They're actually 220uF) 13007's, one of the smallest main transformers I've seen in an ATX PSU, 16A for 3.3V and 5V. 10A for 12V. hardly any filtering, tiny output coils. Look at the grounding wire for the transformer This thing is just horrible.
                    Surprisingly the Sun-Pro built Thermal Master's are actually built better.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...Thermal+Master

CWT really should be ashamed.

Comment

Yeah, you won't hear this anywhere else: "The Sun Pro is built better in every way!"

Comment

I presume it came out of a CoolerMaster case. In which case (pun intended), they too ought to be ashamed.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yes you are right. What do you think it could do? I think this is a rare instance where the transformer would saturate before the 13007's would blow LOL

Comment

Very shortly before, I would add. That said, wh-e-e-e-e-ere's the BEEF? There's hardly any there, there. 250W would be pushing your luck with that one. At least it's light ...
                            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

That might be even worse than that 420W Okia (also built by CWT).

Comment

That design seems to be popular... I've seen it in ColorsIT and Excel PSUs too, 120 and 80mm fan versions.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                                  Very shortly before, I would add. That said, wh-e-e-e-e-ere's the BEEF? There's hardly any there, there. 250W would be pushing your luck with that one. At least it's light ...
                                  No beef! It's funny because if every one of the rectifiers on the 3 main rails was pushing their rated amperage, it would be just a hair over 250W

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                  That might be even worse than that 420W Okia (also built by CWT).
                                  Might be...at least this one has two toroids!
                                  Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                  That design seems to be popular... I've seen it in ColorsIT and Excel PSUs too, 120 and 80mm fan versions.
                                  Were they CWT as well?

*general question* How come fast recovery rectifiers tend to have a higher peak repetitive reverse voltage compared to schottky's? Or is this not something that is very important if you were to replace a fast recovery rectifier with a schottky?

Comment

I'd give it 200W without blowing up, but nothing at all with the ripple in spec.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Might be...at least this one has two toroids!
                                      The Okia had room for pi filters on all outputs and didn't have that one random strand of wire coming out of the transformer for grounding. How is that supposed to work?

Comment

No beef! It's funny because if every one of the rectifiers on the 3 main rails was pushing their rated amperage, it would be just a hair over 250W
                                        I was going by the heatsinks, and was a bit over-generous, maybe. I considered guestimating 235W, a common rating back in the late 90s.
                                        PeteS in CA

Comment

Look at the grounding wire for the transformer This thing is just horrible.
                                          Please double-check tell me this really is NOT the grounding wire! If it is, it would be absolutely ridiculous. Maybe a bad joke on CWT's part?

Also, notice the text under the warnings on the label.
                                          "As sealed stick was removed,..."
                                          Hilarious!

IMO, that main traffo won't handle more than 150W. Come on, it's the size of a quarter!

Comment

Working...
                                          X