Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba M65, can anyone cross these caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba M65, can anyone cross these caps?

I have a Toshiba M65 that went down, these caps are bad:

I believe that they are Hitano caps, they read 59 470 6E. Probably 470 mF, but the 6E throws me. Hitano's part numbering doesn't reference it. Can anyone help?

Dave
    A good solder joint is like life . . . it just flows.

Re: Toshiba M65, can anyone cross these caps?

i think they are Sun EPCap series..

direct link: http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/solidcapacitor.html#sun
    translator link (scroll down): http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?hl...capacitor.html

"thanks" to the hotlinking protection, the pictures only work on the japanese original version of that site

i'd say they are 6V 470uF .. but you could measure the voltage with a DMM to be sure

Comment

I'm willing to bet on the 470 uF, these caps are 10 mm in dia and 10.5 tall, a little large for 47 uF. This is in the regulator circuit, the power supply for the computer is 19 Vdc. Traditional thought says go twice the voltage, so I was going to go in with 35 volt caps. If indeed they are in a 6 volt circuit, then the 35 volt caps wouldn't work very well. I get no DC across the cap at all, and get 2.5 in AC mode, but my meter isn't true RMS, so no real idea what is going across.

Typical voltages for a computer are 3.3, 5, and 12, so I'm not sure where to go from here. All the caps are the same, so I could guess that they went with 25 volt across the board. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Dave

Comment

like i said... 6Volt 470uF

according to the picture... 6V, E-Series, 470uF and date(?)-code 23 (week 2 of 2003 !?)

edit: compared this to your pic... first line really seems to be the datecode, but in "Y W" format (?!)

that would be Week 9 year 2005 for your pic and week 3 of year 2002 from mine..

maybe it's not the week but the month... anyways.. your caps are definitively 6V 470uF Poly/Lytic Hybrids
        Last edited by Scenic; 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Ahh, I didn't spot the explanation chart, thanks for the heads up. I just went directly after the cutsheets. I've got the parts coming, so I'll let you know when she's up and running again.

Dave

Comment

Well, the saga continues. I had already ordered 470uF 25V caps when Scenic posted the part number scheme. After doing the flat forward slap, I quickly ordered the 470uF 6V caps. They came on Saturday, and I tried them out today.

I tested the motherboard and no go. I did a bit of head scratching and then heated the caps up with a heat gun. Bingo. Motherboard came up. I hadn't changed the 220uF so I suspected it might be bad, but a quick freeze experiment pointed to one of the very caps that I had just changed out. Well, I've seen some parts out of the box that didn't work before, so I changed out the cap. Same thing, no go

At this point, I'm at the nothing-to-lose stage, so I pull the caps and solder in the 470uF 25 volt caps. Bingo. The motherboard pops up.

Makes me wonder. I had originally ordered the 25 volt caps based on the fact that the computer wouldn't indicate a charge on the battery, and the charger is rated at 19 volts. After Scenic's post with the part number scheme, I measured the voltage across the cap at 2.5 VAC. My meter was not true RMS, but I guessed that 6 volts caps were probably appropriate. I didn't think to measure across the caps after the machine booted, and I'm not about to tear it apart again to check it.

Perhaps Scenic or some other caphead can tell me, if I'm major over on the voltage spec, am I subject to problems with ripple?

I'm typing this post on the machine now. I'll let you know how stable it stays.

Dave

Comment

They look like 5.9 volts + 470uF to me.

Comment

What make is the silver and black on in photo? please

wayne

Comment

Sorry for the wait , I've been very busy.

Since these types of caps are strictly different , solely to allow them to be installed through or by an automated assembly line , you should look into Sanyo , as they make alot of these as a result.

You may be able to match them up better , seeing as my testing has shown Sanyo caps to be superior in both power and reliability. Panasonic now also makes these in some quantities.

Comment

Notice that the group is what appears to be 5.9 volts , and the single appears to be 5.8 volts. That could suggest , an extreme sensitivity in that area , or it could just be an availability issue. Never the less .1 volts installed originally , had to come from Sanyo.

Comment

Just recently had some issues with an M60 Toshiba Laptop, it would power on, no post or anything, and just sit there. Usual disconnecting everything and hooking up monitor solved nothing. Replaced ram, still nothing.

Replaced the 4 caps with 470uF 25V ones, and now when I plug it in, the ac adapter light flickers quickly and that's it, it will not power up or anything. Good chance I damaged something else? It's weird cause I was careful, but I am wondering if i may have grounded out one of the caps possibly (hard to fit the iron tip between two capacitor electrodes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

I know this thread is extremely dated, but I happen to be replacing the caps on my mother's laptop, and I've got a question. I don't see where the solder is on the bottom of the motherboard, and therefore, no holes where the legs would fit through. I see the solder on the top of the motherboard, but the solder on the bottom doesn't match the top. Am I supposed to use the existing legs of the old capacitors, or are there holes somewhere that the cap legs will actually fit through?

Comment

They dont have legs - they are surface mounted caps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8581578_sold...capacitor.html
                          Last edited by selldoor; 09-05-2012, 03:08 AM.
                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Well, that explains a lot. So, I'm guessing the caps I ordered with legs I won't be able to use here, right? It appears I need to order surface mount caps... I don't see surface mount caps in the product list here though. Does badcaps sell them?

Comment

You can still use the ones with legs. Don't know how much room you have to work with, but you can bend each leg at a 90 degree angle, then solder each leg to the pad. Be sure pre-bend and dry fit each cap before you solder.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                You can still use the ones with legs. Don't know how much room you have to work with, but you can bend each leg at a 90 degree angle, then solder each leg to the pad. Be sure pre-bend and dry fit each cap before you solder.
                                Wow, I would've never considered that, clever.
                                Alright, I'll give it a shot later tonight. No harm in trying one I suppose.

Comment

Alright I screwed that up... Anyone know where to get a mobo replacement cheap?

Comment

remember that those are likely polys.
                                    generic sm lytics wont cut it.the 58 59 ect are datecodes.
                                    how did you determine they were bad?

Comment

capacitor "4 5 470 6e" i need help what is the value of this caps thanks
                                      can u email me

Comment

Working...
                                      X