X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    Ah. Most boards of that era supported PCIe... these boards were made as "budget upgrade" boards to allow one to keep their GPU (I used to have one myself actually, it was an ECS if memory serves). Some oddball ones even supported both PCIe and AGP... but this is a rare bird either way. Nice find.
    I think I also have a ASRock Skt478 board that uses PCI-E, it's the P4VM890. Pretty good board if you ask me. Just that it's DDR1, but so was the NF4 before the Intel version came.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Another box of 1T (Hitachi) drives. Look to all be around 11000 PoH with a dozen or so power cycles (no doubt they were sitting in a shelf running 24/7). Looks like they (whoever THEY are) happen to be on a ~15 month upgrade cycle.

Comment

And... a box of 1T seacrates with the same ~11000 PoH stats. I need to figure out who is dumping these and see what other kit will be coming down the line!

(Now, I need to start finding boxes to store the damn drives)

Comment

Scored this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142898676466

Lenovo Thinkcentre A70Z AIO. They say it has screen damage but other than a scratched up bezel, it all looks fine from here. $49 shipped, it will be a good replacement for the Polymac G5 in the kitchen (which is a bit anemic to say the least). Also uses a desktop 775 CPU (not a BGA or even a Socket P laptop chip) so if I want to go nuts with it, I can (at least to the extent that the lenovo whitelists will let me).
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
            I've got some of the M90Z's, they're solid systems for an AiO. I use them in the garage & workrooms.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              ^
              I've got some of the M90Z's, they're solid systems for an AiO. I use them in the garage & workrooms.
              Yeah. I was looking for laughs and lowballed them... old plan was to pick it up, but it's not cheaper and also I don't have a weekday afternoon to burn (yay more company trips to Canada )
              sigpic

Comment

Got a freebie from the county today. Some cheapass flimsy case with an Allied 300w PSU, connected to a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L with a Pentium dualcore @ 2.6, 2gb RAM, and a 250gb SATA seagate 7200.12 HDD. Working order, this post created from it. I wiped the drive as I promised I would, then threw W7 on it.

I'm sure the PSU needs to be recapped, they always do....and these are junk PSU's anyway....but the system seems stable.

Was also given 2x Cisco Aironet 1200 PoE access points.
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

I like the looks of the case from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                    I like the looks of the case from what I can see.
                    It's in very good condition....its just a thin metal cheap one.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

^ Ill take it over any of that flashy RGB crap anyday.....
                      Last edited by goontron; 09-07-2018, 09:29 PM.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

It's in very good condition....its just a thin metal cheap one.
                        Thin cheap "cut your finger" cases make my skin crawl (and bleed ). But you know that... the case wasn't what made it a good score .
                        sigpic

Comment

Got a freebie from the county today. Some cheapass flimsy case with an Allied 300w PSU, connected to a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L with a Pentium dualcore @ 2.6, 2gb RAM, and a 250gb SATA seagate 7200.12 HDD. Working order, this post created from it. I wiped the drive as I promised I would, then threw W7 on it.

I'm sure the PSU needs to be recapped, they always do....and these are junk PSU's anyway....but the system seems stable.

Was also given 2x Cisco Aironet 1200 PoE access points.
                          The PSU looks like an Allied PSU which is (or at least used to be) the somewhat high end line of Deer's PSUs, and could make a good little 300W PSU for that Pentium machine after being recapped. Justy 2 cents.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Scored this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142898676466

Lenovo Thinkcentre A70Z AIO. They say it has screen damage but other than a scratched up bezel, it all looks fine from here. $49 shipped, it will be a good replacement for the Polymac G5 in the kitchen (which is a bit anemic to say the least). Also uses a desktop 775 CPU (not a BGA or even a Socket P laptop chip) so if I want to go nuts with it, I can (at least to the extent that the lenovo whitelists will let me).
                            Came in today... runs fine. Memtest 86+'d w/o errors... no screen issues... it's a bit rough in the front, but damn... Installing 7 on it now. Other than being limited to intel graphics, I could go places with it. It has a wimpy E7500 CPU and a measly 4GB of 1066 DDR3, both of which are upgradeable. Hmm...
                            sigpic

Comment

Came in today... runs fine. Memtest 86+'d w/o errors... no screen issues... it's a bit rough in the front, but damn... Installing 7 on it now. Other than being limited to intel graphics, I could go places with it. It has a wimpy E7500 CPU and a measly 4GB of 1066 DDR3, both of which are upgradeable. Hmm...
                              Discovered a very annoying quirk with it... the stupid audio keeps cutting out every 10-60 seconds. Bumping the volume (in windows) restores it. From what I read it's a common fault with these although the only explanation provided is "faulty main board, use external speakers" which I call BS on. Maybe an issue with crappy connexant audio chips?

Otherwise, no issues.
                              Last edited by ratdude747; 09-08-2018, 08:59 PM. Reason: red squiggles (spelling)
                              sigpic

Comment

try a live-disk,
                                i'v not heard of this.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  try a live-disk,
                                  i'v not heard of this.
                                  Me either, thats kind of a weird one.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    try a live-disk,
                                    i'v not heard of this.
                                    Me either, thats kind of a weird one.
                                    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCe...s/td-p/1863224

Whatever it is, it's not just me. I may try ripping the HDD out of my main laptop and booting the arch install off of that... although for a system I'm not personally using, I'd rather not arch it (just asking for trouble).

---

Wifey almost made a cheap score: NOS APC Smart UPS 750 for "less than $5". Great, except the batteries are beyond dead 17 years young! I was honestly looking more for a rackmount one anyway...
                                    Last edited by ratdude747; 09-09-2018, 10:26 AM.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Why would it not be an excellent score? Batteries have a lifetime of 3 to 5 years.
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        Why would it not be an excellent score? Batteries have a lifetime of 3 to 5 years.
                                        It's a 17 year old NOS... and batteries don't grow on trees.
                                        sigpic

Comment

It uses regular 7.2AH 12v batteries, they don't cost much.
                                          And they are consumables anyway.
                                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                          X