Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[FAQ] Atten 858d problem S-E (or 5-E) or stuck in 498'C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FAQ] Atten 858d problem S-E (or 5-E) or stuck in 498'C.

Its only a week i have been working with my new Atten 858D+ heating station and i have experienced a problem. The station showed S-E in the digital display, the blower fan was ok but it was NOT heating. Searching the web showed that the heating element was gone, this was an error code, but it was not true. Measuring it showed 70 Ohms. Also the mosfet which drives it was not shorted. The station was also stuck in 498'C sometimes, again no heat.
    Browsing again and saw some unresolved topics, there is one at a well-known polish forum. Mine is in warranty too but i was not thinking about shipping it ti China.
    After close inspection at the small circuit in the gun, i could distinguish a cold joint at the soldering of the thermocouple sensor. Bingo!
    Now the heating is working great again!
    Thanks for reading.

First pic is the Atten 858D+. At the moment it is OK, SLP means "sleeping".
    Second pic is the culprit.
    Attached Files

Re: [FAQ] Atten 858d problem S-E (or 5-E) or stuck in 498'C.

Originally posted by senndogg View Post
    Mine is in warranty too but i was not thinking about shipping it ti China.
    Good job on repairing it.

Someone who lives in Hong Kong theorizes that some sellers in China bank/rely on the fact that shipping defective goods back to China costs so much that most people don't bother.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Chinese quality workmanship. I had been to China 5 times to inspect the products they put together for us, after Chinese New Year is over, they always get the new workers since the original workers that were trained went back home for the new year and do not want to come back, so the products made after new years are always problems for us. They just cannot retain their workers which I do not blame the workers at all due to the condition they have to live, they basically live in the dorms on the factory site.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

sad but true. this is claimed to be one of the best "in-home" manufactured heating station but overall quality is far from good.
        a friend of mines shipped back a programmer, which by the way was fake, he paid almost the same price for it to be shipped, and they sent back another defective one. trying to contact them was useless. i have heard lots of stories like this, and i am always trying to avoid buying from non-reputable chinese sellers, better paying a little more and get a genuine one. its been 2 months i am buying my caps from badcaps.net and, man! c'mon! the small of original Rubys, nichis and pannys differs from the ugly counterfeit chinese cheapos!
        economy is a little tight at the moment but i think we can go through it keeping the pro work up!

Comment

This was a nice fix - glad you got it working again.

What kind of programmer did your friend buy ?

Comment

i dont know exactly, but it was for automotive use. maybe one for coding Airbag ECUs for VAG family or chrome Mercedes smart keys. I remember that the chinese cheapo was 1/10 of the original price.

Comment

a friend of mines shipped back a programmer, which by the way was fake, he paid almost the same price for it to be shipped, and they sent back another defective one. trying to contact them was useless.
              If it was purchased through ebay, don't send it back. Open a case and say it is counterfeit and ebay will likely refund the purchase price + shipping.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

nope! they arranged via email and everything was on behalf.

Comment

Its only a week i have been working with my new Atten 858D+ heating station and i have experienced a problem. The station showed S-E in the digital display, the blower fan was ok but it was NOT heating. Searching the web showed that the heating element was gone, this was an error code, but it was not true. Measuring it showed 70 Ohms. Also the mosfet which drives it was not shorted. The station was also stuck in 498'C sometimes, again no heat.
                  Browsing again and saw some unresolved topics, there is one at a well-known polish forum. Mine is in warranty too but i was not thinking about shipping it ti China.
                  After close inspection at the small circuit in the gun, i could distinguish a cold joint at the soldering of the thermocouple sensor. Bingo!
                  Now the heating is working great again!
                  Thanks for reading.

First pic is the Atten 858D+. At the moment it is OK, SLP means "sleeping".
                  Second pic is the culprit.
                  i have the 858d+, but the heat is about 100C, not 450c, the seller say is bad the heating coil, the wanna sell the replacement, can you helpme? thanks!!!

Comment

this is my problem there is a short is there anywhere I can buy a new thermo coupler? whats the parts called.

Comment

Is the thermocouple part of the heater? If so you can get the thing here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/858-898-898D...-/360847659151
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi, mime give me an "Err", that meas de coil is broke, but is not.
                        This happend after I move the "CAL" trimmer, so I put it back in the same position and nothing happen.
                        What do you think it could be?

Greetings

Comment

Perhaps the trimmer has broken when you adjusted it? Check the solder did not break on the leads or something.
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

what is the soldering like?

some of the chinese units are terrible and you need to resolder most of the board!!!

Comment

Hi to all,

I have a Sigma R700 (858D clone) and would like to repair it.

PCB is marked SBK858D 2017.01.03

The heater is always ON no matter it is on the holder or not. I troubleshooted the whole circuit and the reed switch is good.
                              On microcontroller input P0.1, I get 5V when off the holder and 0V when on the holder.

Am I missing something here ? Any other conditions in the firmware would keep the heater ON all the time ?

Thanks !

Comment

Whatever controls the heater, probably a Triac, may be shorted?
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                  Whatever controls the heater, probably a Triac, may be shorted?
                                  I originally thought about it but it controls according to temp setpoint. This part seems to work.

Comment

so your saying the standby function isnt working, but it heats to whatever temperature you set?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      so your saying the standby function isnt working, but it heats to whatever temperature you set?
                                      That is exactly right

Comment

not much to it if it matches either of these:
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X