X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac A1707 Odd display behaviour

Hello all,

Wanted to know if anyone here had seen display behaviour similar to this:

I dropped my A1707 and smashed the screen. I replaced it with a very good condition used screen from eBay.

Everything about the screen works perfectly, except before the OS has booted.
    The screen fails to display until the MacOS slider which occurs during boot is roughly halfway, meaning if I try to access the boot menu using alt/option, I don't see anything on the display. I also don't see anything in bootcamp, or if I try to access any of the recovery modes (internet, non-internet etc).

I have tried to use a flashlight to see if the display was just really low brightness - that was not it.
    The screen shows up as "Built in retina display" in MacOS so I assume it is working correctly.
    The only other consideration I can think of, is that the screen came from a US retail Mac, whereas I have a UK retail Mac.

Any ideas?

Re: Mac A1707 Odd display behaviour

Perhaps the same issue documented here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...ut+not+in+OS+X

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      Perhaps the same issue documented here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...ut+not+in+OS+X
      Ah very good find!! Seems to be the exact inverse of my problem so I will assume related!

I bought the display a few months ago so I doubt I will have any luck with the seller sending a replacement, but I still have my original display which worked perfectly aside from the huge crack in the screen.

Do you if it is possible to replace that logic board on the defective screen with the one from my old screen? I am only finding conflicting information online with some saying yes you can and others saying no you cannot.

Comment

Personally have not done this..yet but you can consider a

LCD replacement only.

In this procedure, you will dissect the display that is cracked and remove the front glass -> keep the TCON board you have (for compatibility) -> replace the cracked LCD / front glass -> rebuild the housing.

Confirm that the above details are 100% correct before proceeding but it should be possible. Best to also chat with the many vendors on Aliexpress on what you plan to do and that you want the 100% compatibility for your logic board.

Review this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_kcMyhwZls

The thin carving blades are not cheap but they serve a purpose. I believe the slice tool kit is about $20 USD and wears out after a single use.

Do update this thread with your experience if you decide to move forward. As always, we plan to do the same as free time permits.

PS: The prices for the A1707 LCD display look extremely high in price on Aliexpress. Not sure if this a local blip or from shortages in the industry.

Comment

LCD replacement only.

In this procedure, you will dissect the display that is cracked and remove the front glass -> keep the TCON board you have (for compatibility) -> replace the cracked LCD / front glass -> rebuild the housing.

Confirm that the above details are 100% correct before proceeding but it should be possible. Best to also chat with the many vendors on Aliexpress on what you plan to do and that you want the 100% compatibility for your logic board.

Review this video:

The thin carving blades are not cheap but they serve a purpose. I believe the slice tool kit is about $20 USD and wears out after a single use.

Do update this thread with your experience if you decide to move forward. As always, we plan to do the same as free time permits.

PS: The prices for the A1707 LCD display look extremely high in price on Aliexpress. Not sure if this a local blip or from shortages in the industry.
          Oooof yeah that doesn't look fun.

So I have the two screens already, one cracked but with a working T-CON board and one installed onto the device which works perfectly fine but with a suspected faulty T-CON board. I bought this display used from a US based eBay seller. I have reached out to them to see if they would be willing to exchange it but given I bought it around the new year I suspect they will refuse.

I don't think I have the required skill to replace the screen itself, and the system works as much as I need it so I'm tempted to just leave it for now and see what the seller says.

Thank you very much for helping to isolate the issue for me though!

Comment

LCD replacement only.

Review this video:

Update:

I managed to get the seller to send a new replacement screen.
            I fitted that today and it fixed the issue.

You were correct that the TCONN board was faulty - thanks again!

Comment

Excellent! (Bill & Ted) Thanks for the update and closure to the thread.

Comment

Working...
              X