Sorry to sound like a n00bie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to sound like a n00bie

What are the differences between a MOSFET and a capacitor. The purpose of function?
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Re: Sorry to sound like a n00bie

MOSFET's supply power by reducing voltages. Capacitors smooth that power out and hold a small reserve for burst power usage.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Hmmmm ... MOSFETs can be used as amplifiers or switches. As an amplifier, a relative small signal controls a larger voltage or current. As a switch, the control voltage turns on or off a larger voltage or current. In the context of a VRM, the MOSFET is a switch that chops V(In), producing a square wave, which is rectified and filtered into a lower DC voltage. Controlling the duty cycle [T(On)/T(square wave)] controls the output voltage.

A capacitor is used to store energy and filter (smooth) a DC voltage. In a VRM the capacitor helps filter the square wave into DC, and handles current transients.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

BTW, no need to apologize for "basic" electronics Qs. We all start with the basics at some point in our lives.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

MOSFETs

capacitor

typical capacitors on this forum

Comment

MOSFET= Metal Oxide Semi-conductor Field-Effect Transistor. So basically, a transistor
            "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
            AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

MOSFETs and JFETs (Junction FET) are voltage controlled devices, in which the gate current (other than charging gate capacitance) is tiny or less. Bi-polar transistors are current controlled devices, with the base curent, depending on the device, ranging from u-Amps to Amperes.
              PeteS in CA

Comment

Working...
              X