Bad bios flash need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad bios flash need help

I have a H67ITX-D-E zotac ITX board and I went to flash the bios however when I rebooted it now only beeps 6 times and turns on for a bit then off and back, Its a AMI bios there newer aptivo 4 I think it is.

Anyways, I tryed the CTRL and HOME keys with a thumbdrive with only the bios on it, I also tried various names, you can always see the flash drive light up for about 3 seconds before it goes off then the computer shuts off and does this over and over.

I noticed they sell bios chips on ebay so i might buy one, but if someone can help me recover it without doing so that would be awesome.

Thanks,
    BigTroll.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Re: Bad bios flash need help

If the Zotac motherboard has a socket for a video card, try that because when my MSI MS-7309 ver. 2.3 flash failed, I saw nothing from its built-in video, but a PCI video card showed some error messages and flash directions. Unfortunately they were of no help, and I had to resort to an SPI flash, where the parallel printer port of another computer is connected to the 8-pin BIOS chip and a program called SPIPGM2 is run. The 5V TTL of the printer port has to be converted to 3.3V TTL for the BIOS chip, either with a converter board or 300 ohm resistors.

http://www.mylesgray.com/hardware/fi...n-motherboard/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaA9kIuloa4

Comment

So I fixed the board by buying a new bios chip, was using this board up till about 2 years ago and it started to have problems, now if its really cold the fans will spin up then stop and repeat over and over and wont boot. I found it will boot if i put the board in front of a space heater.

So I was thinking bad caps but it would appear to have all solid caps so I don't know where to start or how I could diagnose this issue.
      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

You sure it's the board?
        Maybe it's the power supply caps- surely those also warm up with the heater.

Examine & maybe post pix of the PSU caps- it's an SFF after all.
        Them being bad now could explain your bad flash years ago, if they were marginal then.

Your symptoms, and having to "preheat" things, are typical of bad caps.
        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
        Originally posted by shango066
        All style and no substance.
        Originally posted by smashstuff30
        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

you know you could have spent like $10 on a good USB flasher?

you're lucky it's a removable chip, I have one here I might solder out and reflash it, not sure it's the problem but some of these flashers are an investment. A cheap, Chinese investment,
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
            You sure it's the board?
            Maybe it's the power supply caps- surely those also warm up with the heater.

Examine & maybe post pix of the PSU caps- it's an SFF after all.
            Them being bad now could explain your bad flash years ago, if they were marginal then.

Your symptoms, and having to "preheat" things, are typical of bad caps.
            actually i am bench testing the board so no warming up of the power supply, however i forgot to mention it was in a itx case with a dc to dc power supply that I recapped with panasonic FCs about 4 years ago and its still going strong, with another motherboard. as far as the bad flash I tried downgrading the bios and it was me who screwed that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              you know you could have spent like $10 on a good USB flasher?

you're lucky it's a removable chip, I have one here I might solder out and reflash it, not sure it's the problem but some of these flashers are an investment. A cheap, Chinese investment,
              I never knew they were that cheap, I think I paid $16 for the pre flashed chip a few years back. I may just have to buy one.

Comment

Well... maybe keep it off a while, or as long as needed to fail POST.

Then, try it expecting nothing. With proper support underneath, push on the CPU HSF and immediately hit reset. Does it POST now?

Pull the CPU and inspect/clean the lands.
                Hopefully, none of the BGAs have failed.

Had a P4P800-E where the BGA CPU socket began to come loose.
                It got to the point of no POST unless pressure was kept on the CPU.
                Before I got it, the board was warped by that stupid intel heatsink design.
                I put a different HSF on it and ground the cams down- it worked for about 2 years, but the damage was done.

Hopefully, your issue isn't something similar, either with the CPU socket or elsewhere.
                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                Originally posted by shango066
                All style and no substance.
                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                  I never knew they were that cheap, I think I paid $16 for the pre flashed chip a few years back. I may just have to buy one.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Anmbest-CH341...dp/B07KSQTCHQ/
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                  X