Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie needs help w/Electrolytic caps (washing machine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: newbie needs help w/Electrolytic caps (washing machine)

Originally posted by R_J View Post
    Does this "washing machine" have a model number? does the board have a part number? attach pictures of the complete board, both sides.
    of course!

AEG Lavamat L725500
    circuit board is EWM 2100

I am gettting an "E52" message which means there's a problem with the motor. If you'd like, you can see the problem there. The motor tests good according to those instructions.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/73...page=36#manual

The long story is that we moved apartments. After the move, I got error message E52. I explored and found four wires to the motor and tachometer sensor had been cut in the move. I reconnected the wires, the machine did two loads, and then died.

Since the motor tested good, I'm assuming there's a circuit board problem.

thanks again to everybody!

My problem is that my wife is running out of patience, and wants to buy a new washer, etc., etc.,.....
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      Compared to a new one of same UF value and same voltage
      I don't have new ones to compare to
      I do not think so I test a lot of capacitor and to me those ESR value look high
      No argument here

( one note if you get any reading over 0.30 [ on UF values less than 470 UF ] I would check it with a new one of a brand name capacitor to know for sure weather or not its reading is high or not or if in doubt)

If this was a 220uf cap and it reads 445uf then there is something really wrong with those capacitors

No, they were 220 reading 230, or about 5% off

And if they are 470uf capacitors then I would question weather those capacitors are any good any way

Here is my rule about ESR values ( that are used in Switching Power Supply ) ( in other devices it depends on what type of device it is if I have this opinion on it or not —> if it has a timing circuit or a micro controller in it then I have the same opinion as I do about switching power supply )

If the capacitor is a non well known manufacturer I replace on site

I don't have time to order online and get delivery of high quality caps.
      If the capacitor is more than 10% higher in ESR value of a new one it gets replaced even if it is a well known brand

If it has a value less than 10% I might change them any way

if the device is older than 5 years old or if it being used 24 hours a day and 7 days a week 365 days a year or the device sit around for long periods of time not being used and I am have issues with the device I replaced them

This is just my opinion
      merci!

Comment

resolder the white 4pin connector,
        the joints are cracked - i can see the ghost-rings in the foto!
        (s177-s180)

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          resolder the white 4pin connector,
          the joints are cracked - i can see the ghost-rings in the foto!
          (s177-s180)
          done

Comment

OK, I took out the large transistor, which I didn't know if it was a transistor, a triac, a mosfet, or whatever else looks like that.

It tested bad, so I bought a new one.

I'll report the results later

Comment

Originally posted by glutton4punishment View Post
              OK, I took out the large transistor, which I didn't know if it was a transistor, a triac, a mosfet, or whatever else looks like that.

what is written on it ?

Comment

check your previous repair

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  what is written on it ?
                  BTB16

The store had a BTA16, which they said was interchangeable

Comment

check your previous repair
                    I don't know what you mean here.....

Comment

The long story is that we moved apartments. After the move, I got error message E52. I explored and found four wires to the motor and tachometer sensor had been cut in the move. I reconnected the wires, the machine did two loads, and then died.

Comment

BTB16 is a triac .

http://www.circuitstoday.com/how-to-test-a-triac

Comment

You say the part tested bad, In what way was it bad? shorted, open, If it is a BTA16 was either A1 or A2 shorted to the gate?

Comment

be carefull,
                            i think the difference between those triacs is one has an isolated tab and the other can be live!

Comment

I would guess that if the triac shorted from A1 to A2 the motor would run and not shut off.
                              Does the plug going to the motor have 6 or 7 wires?

Comment

After putting in the new triac, I still got the same error code, motor problems.

I went back over all my work and retested the motor. It tested fine. But this time I started from the beginning, reading the motor resistances from the connection at the front of the machine, where it plugs into the front panel.

There was a problem, inifinite resistance with one of the wires. So I go back to the motor, pull of the wire loom connector to the motor. The motor read fine.

So I start testing the wiring loom. Sure enough, one wire read infinite resistance.

That ONE wire that must have been hanging by a thread the first time I reconnected the 3 other disconnected wires.

The machine ran fine through two loads, and then the wire got disconnected from the loom connector. BUT, it looked fine! I guess that it was held in place by the insulation, so that it looked OK, but the copper wire had been disconnected within the connector.

So I kept getting error messages, thought that it must have been the circuit board.

Thanks to all who offered their help

Comment

well done in finding the break and fixing it

Comment

well done in finding the break and fixing it

Comment

I went back over all my work and retested the motor. It tested fine. But this time I started from the beginning, reading the motor resistances from the connection at the front of the machine, where it plugs into the front panel.

There was a problem, inifinite resistance with one of the wires. So I go back to the motor, pull of the wire loom connector to the motor. The motor read fine.

So I start testing the wiring loom. Sure enough, one wire read infinite resistance.

That ONE wire that must have been hanging by a thread the first time I reconnected the 3 other disconnected wires.

The machine ran fine through two loads, and then the wire got disconnected from the loom connector. BUT, it looked fine! I guess that it was held in place by the insulation, so that it looked OK, but the copper wire had been disconnected within the connector.
                                      I have seen this type of problem with any type of connection to connectors to circuit boards
                                      Especially if the wire are thin this happens more often

Or

Connectors to circuit board cracking soldering joints
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-20-2020, 07:48 PM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply
                                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                        if the device is older than 5 years old or if it being used 24 hours a day and 7 days a week 365 days a year or the device sit around for long periods of time not being used and I am have issues with the device I replaced them
                                        You really can't go wrong with that rule. I generally don't even bother troubleshooting before replacing all the caps if the board is more than a few years old. Don't trust the tester, they don't always test at the voltage they are used at on the board. Just doing that covers almost 80% of fixes. Caps go out that often.

Comment

Working...
                                        X