Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Need help with Shuttle SB83G5A - fans spin but that's all

Thanks for the offer and kind comments, Gabriel. Before trying another BIOS chip, I think I have another problem I need to straighten out first, and that is the CPU voltage. I just did another test 5 minutes ago and CPU voltage is still at 1.56V - 1.57V. This is definitely not right! Thus I ended up recapping the 4x OST RLS 10V 3300uF caps with 6.3V 2700uF Rubycon MFZ (pulled from Xbox 360s... FYI these MFZ caps have much better specs than the OST RLS series). But the voltage was still the same.

I'm not sure what controls the CPU voltage, but I can only think of a few things that can affect it. Either NB is bad and not detecting the CPU properly, the CPU socket joints are cracked (I will admit that there were a few times where I wasn't very gentle with this motherboard), the CPU is bad, or the BIOS is corrupt and giving the wrong info to the CPU voltage controller.

Was going to get a cheap refurb P4 CPU at MicroCenter today, but they were out of stock. So the next option I think I will try is to do a CPU socket reflow. If that doesn't fix it either, then I might change the NB (if I find another one from a junk motherboard) or get a new BIOS chip. Unfortunately, I'm starting college again, so I don't know when I will have time to work on this. But as always, any suggestions on what to try are welcome.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote