Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First motherboard re-cap

Hi

A friend recently upgraded his motherboard. His old MB was a Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 socket 939. The old board was regularly causing BSODs in windows XP and the on board video was also very grainy with lines showing on the monitor.

As I had helped in the installation of his new build PC he let me have the old board, cpu, memory hd and the old case and power supply.

On looking at the old Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 it was quite obvious that the board suffered from bad caps. The board had five 3300uf capacitors near the CPU heat sink and two 1000uf capacitors elsewhere on the board which were bulging.

I had not done a motherboard re-cap before so I decided to give this board a go. I was not too concerned if things went wrong as I just wanted to have a go and learn.

This site has been very educational. I found more information on another site
    http://www.punj.co.uk/punjwebfiles/e.../mbbadcap.html
    This person had near identical problems and the same capacitor failure to which he successfully got this motherboard working.

On my first attempt I was using a 20W soldering iron but this was just not good for heating and removing the old caps. I then took a break and went to the faq stickys on this site.
    After further reading i got my 60W soldering iron out and applied more solder and ensured the tip of my iron was clean. Eventually I had success and the old capacitors came out. I then assumed that cleaning the holes would also be a challenge but my solder sucker from ebay managed this part of the job quite easily. The hardest part of the job was removing the capacitors. I was scared that the 60W iron might have been to hot and cause damage to the board. It seems however now that this iron was ideal for this part of the job.

I had some Panasonic NHG series capacitors of the same uf and voltage value. I know that many people here don't recommend the NHG series for motherboard re-caps as this is a general purpose capacitor. I however used the NHG series that I had. (The faq sticky on this site recommends practising soldering techniques on a trash board, This was my trash board). I used these panasonic caps as replacement.

I was amazed when powering up this motherboard that it powered up and went straight into the XP installation without any problems. I thought after soldering the Panasonic NHG series that this choice of capacitor may provide problems. For now (4 days) the motherboard runs very fast with no grainy video and certainly no BSODS what so ever.

I only have one problem with this MB now. When shutting down from XP the motherboard shuts down but the green power LED remains on. I then have to remove the power from the wall socket and wait for the LED to go off. I can then plug the power socket back in and the motherboard will run great until I shutdown again.
    I have the latest bios from Biostars web site.
    I have looked in the bios power, wakeup and other settings but everything seems correct I have tried two different PSU's to eliminate the power supply. I have tried different ram and CPU. I have even removed the hard disk and when you press the off button the same symptoms are there eliminating the OS. Apart from this little problem everything works great. I have been told that this problem started about six months ago so I am sure it's not related to the caps that I have replaced.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this problem? Like I said apart from this minor problem the motherboard runs great. If I can resolve this problem then I am going to get some more practice with a total recap on this board with some good quality rubys to improve my re-cap techniques further.

Many thanks
    Kind regards
    bp1

Re: First motherboard re-cap

What power supply are you using?
    Have you checked it for bad caps?

Comment

I have just recently tried a brand new Thermaltake TR2 RX 550W. The other power supply i have tried is a faily new Corsair 600W CX PSU. The original power supply was a jeantech 600w. All these PSU work on other machines no problems

Kind Regards
      bp1

Comment

Please check the caps in the Jeantech. Does it whine?
        Just wondering if it might have caused any damage.

You could well have more failed caps.
        Which ones did you replace, just the ones next to the CPU?
        There may be another one failed which is shorted.

Can you provide clear photos of your board, top and bottom side.

Comment

I replaced the five 3300uf 6.3v capacitors near the cpu heat sink and two 1000uf 6.3v near the memory slots.
          The board has the following capacitors:-
          5X UCC KZG series 3300mF 6.3V near cpu heatsink
          12X OST RLP 1000uF 6.3V near north bridge and memory slots
          3X UCC KZG 1500uF 16V near MOSFET
          17X OST RLG 100uF 16V elsewhere on the motherboard

I don't have access to a good camara . I am sorry for not providing the photos. i will try and see if i can see any on the web.

btw thanks for your posts

kind regards
          bp1

Comment

So you've replaced the 5 x 3300µf 6.3v and 3 x 1500µf 16v KZG?
            KZG don't like heat, sometimes they can fail without showing it.

OST, these can always fail without showing it.

Flapping around in the dark without pictures & locations.

Comment

Since you proved that you can do a recap, why not do a rerecap with the right caps? Thatll improve the longevity, and possibly solve the power problem.

Comment

Thanks for the posts and advice. Had no work today so i recapped another 9 caps on the biostar motherboard. Thats all i had on me today. I took out a combination of the 100uf 16v and 1000uf 6.3v totalling to 9 caps. You guys were spot on to say that the KZG and OST existing caps can fail without showing any visible signs. 7 out of the 9 caps taken out were showing an esr reading of between 2.45 and 14.3 ohms. Ive ordered the remaining old caps and will replace them in a few days time.

Regards
                bp1

Comment

Working...
                X