Panasonic SC-BT230 Blu-ray Home Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panasonic SC-BT230 Blu-ray Home Cinema

Those measurements seem fine. What you think CapLeaker? There are two diodes inside that package. Diode on left is Schottky Barrier Diode(SBD) and those kind of diodes normally give lower measurement. Diode on right is Fast Recovery Diode(FRD)

Comment

The measurements for the speaker outputs though is not fine. You should get 0V. Your amplifiers IC5100 and IC5200 is most likely blown. Next step is to get the heatsink off the amp board and look at IC5100, IC5200 and rest of the amp board for any sign of burn and so on
      Last edited by Neelix; 01-22-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

A datasheet can help. So check also what the number is on IC5100/5200

Comment

Originally posted by TheDragon View Post
          Middle pin negative

left = 204
          right = 419

Middle pin positive

left/right = no value
          Neelex has it and paid good attention. I had to look up the datasheet on the KS2102 diode as it measures different from one side to the other. There are indeed 2 different diodes in the package. So readings what you get are actually O.K. The 0.2V is the schottky barrier diode, the 0.4V is a Fast Recovery Diode (FRED).

On the DC measurement on the speaker terminals, there is surely DC there. That's no good. If I compare the DC measurements with the block diagram, the digital amplifier IC5100 C1AB00003260 s shot (SR,SL,FR,FL). The other amp IC5200 only has 2 channels, the center (0.039V is acceptable) and the subwoofer has DC. So one channel has DC the other doesn't. You may want to measure that again, but as long there is DC on there it is bad too.

You can try to take IC5100 out and turn on the set and see if you get still error codes or not. Some amps don't care if one "brick" is gone, others just come up with either the same or a power supply error code.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
            The measurements for the speaker outputs though is not fine. You should get 0V. Your amplifiers IC5100 and IC5200 is most likely blown. Next step is to get the heatsink off the amp board and look at IC5100, IC5200 and rest of the amp board for any sign of burn and so on
            Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
            Neelex has it and paid good attention. I had to look up the datasheet on the KS2102 diode as it measures different from one side to the other. There are indeed 2 different diodes in the package. So readings what you get are actually O.K. The 0.2V is the schottky barrier diode, the 0.4V is a Fast Recovery Diode (FRED).

On the DC measurement on the speaker terminals, there is surely DC there. That's no good. If I compare the DC measurements with the block diagram, the digital amplifier IC5100 C1AB00003260 s shot (SR,SL,FR,FL). The other amp IC5200 only has 2 channels, the center (0.039V is acceptable) and the subwoofer has DC. So one channel has DC the other doesn't. You may want to measure that again, but as long there is DC on there it is bad too.

You can try to take IC5100 out and turn on the set and see if you get still error codes or not. Some amps don't care if one "brick" is gone, others just come up with either the same or a power supply error code.
            Hi, guys. Really appreciate the help here. I've looked at the board fair close up, cannot seem to find any obvious burns/fried components or cracked board/connection lines or loose solder.

To take off the IC, wow. That is a very challenge for my league. I wouldn't even dare to think on how to put a new one back on, and at what cost.
            Maybe supply a pro with parts for them the repair?

Though, I'm probably asking a blind question, but what could/may have blown the IC. I don't want to install a new one and it also blows.

@Capleaker. I will check the two channel IC again, to see if it has the voltage at speaker point.

If two IC's are blown, The cost of parts/fitting could easily replace a cheap and basic 5.1 amp. As the Blu-ray player still works and output video, though I'm not sure if it outputs the sounds via HDMI considering it would rely on its own sound section. This has become more of challenge and personal determination to try and rapair.

I will keep you updated. Thanks you very much so far guys.

Comment

If you need 2 of these at over 40$ plus tax & shipping plus pay someone to replace the ic, I think you are better of to get a new one.

As what of caused it, not that sure. It wasn't because of heat, as I did see an over temp circuit in there. Now I have to go from memory as I am on my tablet right now and can't look at the PDFs. Too small.

I would think that the player should be able to output audio through the HDMI, problem is that it is shutting down with that f61 code, so it won't be any good like that, unless we can make it think that everything is ok and the unit stays on.

Comment

If you need 2 of these at over 40$ plus tax & shipping plus pay someone to replace the ic, I think you are better of to get a new one.

As what of caused it, not that sure. It wasn't because of heat, as I did see an over temp circuit in there. Now I have to go from memory as I am on my tablet right now and can't look at the PDFs. Too small.

I would think that the player should be able to output audio through the HDMI, problem is that it is shutting down with that f61 code, so it won't be any good like that, unless we can make it think that everything is ok and the unit stays on.
                Yep, I'll have to see cost justification. Remind me never to buy these All in one units again lol. Panasonic has left a sour taste too. No wonder the koreans and chinese sell well with cheaper products.

That flat ribbon type cable I highlighted in one of the photos (It connects the main PCB to the amp PCB). If I leave that disconnected then the unit has no errors and stays on. I even managed to play a dvd. But could not get sound to come through to the TV.
                Possibly a sound setting I need to enable in the unit.

Any other cable removed and the unit does even turn on.

At the moment its just a dvd player.

Lets see what happens.
                Last edited by TheDragon; 01-22-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

All right! At least you can use it as a player then. I have to look at that ribbon cable tomorrow, when I am on a physical computer, so I can see something.
                  I hope you are able to find the audio setting over HDMI so you can use it.

Comment

All right! At least you can use it as a player then. I have to look at that ribbon cable tomorrow, when I am on a physical computer, so I can see something.
                    I hope you are able to find the audio setting over HDMI so you can use it.
                    Hi all, sorry for the late reply, been very busy. It seems I cannot get sound from the unit via HDMI, only a image. I assume the sound was ONLY directed to the internal amp, which at the moment is defunct.
                    Complete loss it seems.....

And, now my Pioneer car stereo has died too. what a years start.

Comment

now that sux...

Comment

Well, I'll just stack it up. Maybe, I'll figure something out or get a psu board from a scrap unit.

Thanks everyone who put in invaluable keyboard tapping

Comment

Originally posted by TheDragon View Post
                          As I had the board out anyway, I removed that regulator diode and seems to be working ok. So I applied new paste to heatsink and soldered back in.

I did a test, after turning on the unit multiple times to, as it shuts down to quickly for me to complete the check. There was approx 0.5-1.5 v on all 5 speaker output channels, which would drop slowly. Now, I'm not sure if there is some of speaker check for voltage to come across during the startup?

Out of curiosity I disconnected the flat cable from the AMP board to main PCB as highlighted in photo. And when I turned on the unit, there was no error and it stayed on. The fan was not working either now. I assume the main PCB reads/and controls the amp via this cable.

My assumption now is that the power supply unit is OK and something is wrong with the amp (I hope i don't sound stupid, with my maybe obvious conclusion).

This territory is beyond me I think, unless there are some basic tests I could do? I have taken out the amp module and cannot find no obvious visible signs of bad solder/fried components.

Thanks guys so far. Any clues for next check?
                          At last I re-discovered this thread. I've just joined BADCAPS and hope to fix my SA-BT230 which has exactly the same problem. The error F61 points to the amplifier board and I have also tracked the problem to the ribbon connection as highlighted in you photo. When disconnected, the main unit stays on. I've dis-assembled the whole unit and will now look for bad caps or other faulty parts. Looking forward to reading the rest of the thread and will feed back any results - Thanks, Andrew.

Comment

Class D (switching/digital) or T (Tripath) amplifiers, probably one is dead....

--May not show DC on o/p, but one (or more) sending error signal to mcu before relay/supply turned on to o/p stages, to prevent further damage....
                            TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                            http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                            PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Hi tw2005,
                              That's a very useful service manual for the Panasonic SC-BT230 Blu-ray Home Cinema and I'm using it to find the similar fault on my SA-BT230 system - F61 error, which does not happen when the link cable from the main board to the amplifier board is disconnected. Do you have access to a service manual for my SA-BT222 Blu-ray Home Cinema or can tell me where I might purchase one. My system (1 of 4 own) has a U73 error associated (I think) with the main processing board. Thanks for your help, Regards,Andrew Rogers.

Comment

I took my BT230 completely apart, cleaned up all the parts with a clean paint brush including the fan which was caked in dust and carefully put it back together, checking each stage if the F61 error still existed. It never came back and is all working perfectly. I'm still testing it with higher volumes of sound to see if it might fail. Guess I was lucky!

Comment

When movement\cleaning etc makes the thing work, you are most likely looking the case of an intermittent connection somewhere, loose\dirty connector or bad solder joint somewhere.
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi all,

Since this thread seems to be about the SA-BT230, I thought I'd post my problem here first rather than kick off a new thread. Please tell me if I'm wrong and should start a new thread.

My 6-year-old SA-BT230 worked fine until yesterday when on switching on, all it would do was display the "PLEASE WAIT" message continuously and did nothing else. To switch off again I have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds and if I try the factory reset [+ VOLUME], [OPEN/CLOSE] and [POWER], it doesn't have any effect other than to switch it on and display the "PLEASE WAIT" message again. When on and displaying "PLEASE WAIT" if I press the [OPEN/CLOSE] button it displays "OPEN" and then if I press it again it displays "CLOSE" for a few seconds, then "READ" for a few seconds more then the display goes out but the power light remains on (however the BD player doesn't open or close). If I press the power button and [SKIP/REV] on the remote simultaneously it displays what I think is some configuration data, repeatedly cycling through 3 or 4 messages. When I release the buttons it displays "HELLO" and sticks there until I switch off. I took off the lid but couldn't see any evidence of loose connections or burned components so I'm at a loss. Can anyone help?

Regards, MSJ
                                    Last edited by midsomerjambo; 07-26-2016, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Hi midsomerjambo,
                                      Could you follow what I did? - dissemble the unit & re-assemble. The user guide gives PLEASE WAIT
                                      ≥ The unit is carrying out an internal process.This is not a
                                      malfunction. You cannot operate the unit while “PLEASE
                                      WAIT” is displayed.
                                      I got a very good service manual for the BT230 from the BADCAPS site.
                                      If you're not able to take the unit apart and you can get the unit to Northamptonshire then I could have a go as I like doing this sort of thing in my spare time,
                                      Regards,
                                      Andrew.

Comment

Many thanks Andrew - I did download a copy of the service manual from this site (for which, many thanks TW2005) but I hadn't got round to looking to see what advice it might give. I have taken the lid off to look for obvious damage (blown caps, obvious dry joints etc.) but didn't see any. One thing I did want to do was remove the BD drive to see whether I can use the mechanical latch to open it as I wondered if it was jammed (see my note about the "OPEN"/"CLOSE"/"READ" message. I couldn't get the drive out but hopefully the manual will help with that. However, having opened the box and taken it apart (I'm reasonably confident in my ability to do that without damaging anything), is there anything specific you'd recommend I do?

Regards, MSJ

Comment

Hi midsomerjambo,
                                          From memory, I just started disconnecting parts of the circuit until the fault (luckily) disappeared. I didn't see any signs of bad components. When I put it back together in the same order, checking for the fault at every step, the fault did not re-appear. If you remove the connectors to the BD drive, you will probably find the fault is still present but it would lead you to isolate the fault further step by step.
                                          Regards,
                                          Andrew.
                                          P.S. my wife likes Midsomer Murders!

Comment

Working...
                                          X