Asus GT220 1GB graphic card problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus GT220 1GB graphic card problem

Recently when I start my PC, the bios will come out 1 long beep then follow by 2 short beep which is "Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information."

Normally it will keep repeat this 1 long 2 short beep and will not proceed to load OS at all and stuck at there but for my case, it will just simply sound 1 time of 1 long 2 short beep then it pass and start process to load the windows but my monitor don't have display. The indicator at monitor light will keep blinking. I had test the graphic card to another PC and switch another graphic card to this pc to test so I can confirmed that it is graphic card problem.

I had take out the card and do some dust cleaning, clean the golden connection and look for bad caps and bad soldering but so far all look good. Then later I tried a few time to boot my PC, after a few time, it work and the display able to show out.

Next day when I start PC, same thing happen again so I shut it down. Later I try again, it work.

I want to ask anyone here can know which part of graphic card giving this problem? Is that the connector port (such as dvi or VGA port) that going to connect to monitor or the GPU itself? I don't think it is Video ram because for video it will come out special texture on screen.

Hope familiar with this and able to tell me what part of problem in the card.
    Thanks

Re: Asus GT220 1GB graphic card problem

1 long beep 2 short beeps is usually GPU not detected. Clean the contacts on the graphics card and make sure it is seated properly.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
      1 long beep 2 short beeps is usually GPU not detected. Clean the contacts on the graphics card and make sure it is seated properly.
      Yah I do that before and test in 2 PC. Sometime ok, sometime cannot but even cannot work, it just sound 1 time then still let the PC to continue boot into windows, just I can't see anything only. Suppose it should keep repeat on the beep then stuck at there and should not able to continue load, don't know why it got problem and still can go.

Comment

video card up lorry. time to get a new one. if it does the exact same thing in two pcs, im pretty sure its the gpu failing.

Comment

If it doesn't detect a GPU it will continue to boot anyway. Some HP desktop will repeat the pattern 8 times before actually booting, but they still boot in the end.

I'd check the GPU VCore voltage to make sure it's not a power rail issue on the graphics card itself. Could check the VRAM voltage too.

Did someone mess with the VBIOS? Maybe you could try to flash it, although it is rarely the issue.

If all the above is good, then it may be a dead GPU.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            video card up lorry. time to get a new one. if it does the exact same thing in two pcs, im pretty sure its the gpu failing.
            I second this notion.

I had a completely different video card do the same thing (well, in my case, no beeps from the motherboard, because it always ignores VGA errors). It was a Radeon HD6850. After letting the card "warm up" for a while with the PC turned On, eventually it would detect and work (and it didn't always artifact.) I reflowed it and got it working once again. But for how long, there's no telling.

So yes, that GT220 is probably dying / on its way out. You can try reflowing it if you want (and there's no guarantee that that will fix the issue, or that if it does, that it will stay fixed), or you can just get a new video card.

Originally posted by piernov View Post
            I'd check the GPU VCore voltage to make sure it's not a power rail issue on the graphics card itself. Could check the VRAM voltage too.
            I no longer do any of that anymore, simply because IME, most video card problems are due to bad GPU chip. Rarely anything else (unless it's a used video card from someone else and there are chipped SMD components - but those, I always look out for.)

Comment

Yesterday, same thing happen. The pattern now will be, when I switch on, it will 1 long beep 2 short beep so I switch off then after 10 second, I switch on again, it work.
              This already happen in these 2 days. (All will beep in first time switch on but will work on second time)

Comment

After 3 days of this pattern, Friday, Saturday and Sunday all ok. No more this pattern. All switch on first time got display. (I not done anything on that period at all)
                So strange.

Comment

Originally posted by gerbercage View Post
                  (All will beep in first time switch on but will work on second time)
                  That reminds me of my Asus A7V8X-X (Via KT400) motherboard when I was trying out a Radeon 9600 SE, back in 2004, IIRC. I wake up to use the PC and the Award BIOS, (typical for socket 462) will go "BLEEP---BLEEP-BLEEP-BLEEP".
                  It seemed that it had to be warmed up, IIRC, LOL.

That was the worst incident since my Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard with a T-bird 900 Mhz, on a chilly morning, would play a telephone-operator-like recording "The VGA card might not be installed properly" and if I hit reset or power cycle, it boots the OS like nothing happened. The Deer DR 250 ATX didn't help, of course!
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-08-2019, 09:46 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

After run fine for 1 month, today I face this again. Last time once I face this then rebboot second time, it will work, now second time also cannot work. Don't know eaut until it warm abit can work or not? Anything I can do to prelong its life? I don't device to reflow it

Comment

Originally posted by gerbercage View Post
                      Anything I can do to prelong its life?
                      If you cared to read my previous posts above, you wouldn't be asking this. But I'll repeat myself once more to save you the trouble of scrolling up:

--- Your video card is dying and it CANNOT get better. ---

If you don't want to reflow it, then there is nothing else you can do to revive it. Any "working" behavior you get will only be at the card's (or God's?) mercy, and it's not going to be for long. In other words, the problem will only get worse and worse until the video card is completely dead.

So either sell it as is, try reflowing it, or just throw it away.

Sorry to be so direct, but that's all there is left for this one.
                      Last edited by momaka; 05-04-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X