Antec PSU - Panasonic FS capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec PSU - Panasonic FS capacitors

I am working on recapping an old Antec Truepower II 380W I have 4 of these notorious 4700uF Fuhjyyu capacitors.

I am wondering if these would be a nice replacement:

http://au.element14.com/panasonic-el...ial/dp/2766904

The FS range looks like it has very good performance, lifetime and size. So what is the catch?

Re: Antec PSU - Panasonic FS capacitors

Are there any other markings on the capacitor?
    Also it's a good idea to post photos of the unit.
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

The Fuhjyyu caps are the TM series.

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...9d6661716a.pdf

10mm Diam x 30mm Height.

For these, 10mm Diam is pretty critical, as 4 are installed right next to each other and are surrounded by other crap

Comment

What's the rated voltage of the capacitors?
        I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

old story those caps,
          i remember those psu's several years back (a search will dig up the threads)

a lot of us just decided the 4700uf caps must be bogus and used 3300uf instead if i remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by rugger View Post
            I am working on recapping an old Antec Truepower II 380W I have 4 of these notorious 4700uF Fuhjyyu capacitors.

I am wondering if these would be a nice replacement:
            Could be a bit too good for that PSU.

What Series are those caps? Are they Low ESR?

Comment

Sorry, I should be more clear in my OP. I bury myself in the literature of the old Antec PSU I am repairing, and tend to forget that everyone else hasn't thought about this for 10 years. I am just repairing this PSU for retro computing projects, because it has a good sized 5V and 3.3V rail.

Stefan Payne:

I have pulled the 4 x 4700uF, 10V, Fuhjyyu TM capacitors. They all tested very badly on my capacitor tester, awful ESR and high leakage - Their Original Specs are 2310mA Ripple current and 0.038 Ohm ESR. It is classed as a low ESR capacitor.

I as planning on buying and putting in 4 x 3900uF, 6.3V, Panasonic FS series capacitors, as it is very hard to find the 10mm Diam capacitors that will fit this section of the board. The specs of the Panasonic caps are 2470mA Ripple Current and 0.018 Ohm ESR.

The things I am worried about with this replacement are if I am going too low with ESR or if there is some inherent design feature of the FS capacitors that I should be aware of that make it unsuited to PSU applications (as their performance is significantly higher than the older FC and FR series in both size, lifetime and ESR)

Comment

I think the Panasonic FS would be the best choice.

10mm diameter and 10V, very little selection out there. I see 3,300uF but 4,700uF goes to 12.5mm which does not fit without cursing. Only Fuhjyyu offer caps that skinny and tall.
                At 6.3V there are FS and Rubycon ZLQ.

"Too low" ESR on a filter cap is not a problem. The voltage derating is less 6.3V vs 10V so no lifetime extension there, but quality 3,900uF can beat a cheapola 4,700uF IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                  The voltage derating is less 6.3V vs 10V so no lifetime extension there, but quality 3,900uF can beat a cheapola 4,700uF IMHO.
                  A soggy noodle would be a better capacitor than those Fujyyua capacitors.

The Panasonic FS caps, for the case sizes I am buying, are rated 10k hours at 105C. I don't think life would be a concern unless they are being mistreated or deliberately cooked.

It is good to know that exact ESR isn't so much of a problem on these filter caps. I know I have to be careful on VRM circuits to match ESR as best as possible, which means that I am always a bit careful on cap choice.
                  Last edited by rugger; 03-12-2018, 07:41 PM. Reason: Fix quoting

Comment

It's totally ok to replace the 4700uF caps with 3300uF capacitors. Personally, I have recapped several Antec psus with Panasonic FK 10mm 3300uF 6.3V for 3.3V and 5V output rails without any problem. 8 years later, the power supplies work without any problem.

Comment

I will be getting the following capacitors:

Original - Replacement

4 x Fuhjyyu TM 4700uF 10V Low ESR - replaced by - Panasonic FS 3900uF 6.3V Low ESR (lower voltage OK because these are for 5V and 3.3V lines)
                      2 x Teapo SC 3300uF 16V Low ESR - replaced by - Panasonic FS 3300uF 16V Low ESR (will be a pain to fit)
                      1 x Fuhjyyu TN 470uF 25V General Purpose - replaced by - Rubycon YXG 470uF 25V Low ESR
                      2 x Teapo SEK 1000uF 10V General Purpose - replaced by - Rubycon PX 1000uF 10V General Purpose
                      1 x Fuhjyyu TN 47uF 35V General Purpose - replaced by - Rubycon PX 47uF 35V General Purpose

Hopefully there are no mistakes here
                      Last edited by rugger; 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

2 x Teapo SEK 1000uF 10V General Purpose - replaced by - Rubycon PX 1000uF 10V General Purpose
                        1 x Fuhjyyu TN 47uF 35V General Purpose - replaced by - Rubycon PX 47uF 35V General Purpose

You should use entry level low esr capacitors instead of GP caps. CWT used TN, general purpose capacitors for cost cutting, but this doesn't mean that you should do the same. Rubycon YXF and Panasonic FK are a perfect example of entry level low esr caps. Use something like that please if you don't want high ripple voltages

Comment

Yeah, I'll change the 1000uF caps to Low ESR (probably Rubycon YXG if caps are a good size match)

I'll leave the 47uF cap as a general purpose, as I can't be sure what the particular capacitor is doing. This original didn't look or test stressed in any way.
                          Last edited by rugger; 03-14-2018, 12:57 AM.

Comment

i think you will find lots of small caps hidden in that psu
                            look between the transformers and heatsinks - also look for caps hiding inside black heatshrink tubing.

Comment

Small caps matter a lot. 1 of them is the critical 5vsb cap. If this cap goes high esr, then the 5vsb could go 7-10V or more and kill the motherboard. It's important that you replace all the caps including the small ones with entry level low esr made in Japan capacitors

Comment

Yeah, there are a few more small caps hidden in crevices. I'm leaving them because I never really see them fail and getting them out will be more pain then it is worth.

I believe the 470uF capacitor belongs to 5VSB. That is being replaced by a low ESR cap.

Comment

"see them fail" ??
                                  they dry up inside.

Comment

+1

Comment

Yeah, Ok, I pulled out a couple extra caps for replacement

2 x 50V, 1uF Fuhjyyu General Purpose capacitors - Replacing with Nichicon PW
                                      1 x 16V, 220uF Fuhjyyu General Purpose capacitor - Replacing with Rubycon YXJ

Comment

i use YXJ for 1uf and 2.2uf on everything.

Comment

Working...
                                        X