Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water cooling a laptop, have you seen it done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water cooling a laptop, have you seen it done?

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    for me, if it was during winter, i'd soak my feet in the bucket of water. that would keep me warm whilst the cold me would cool the hot water down. gotta make good use of every joule of energy there is and not let any go to waste.
    Hehe, that's an alternate way of cooling the water too.
    I'd probably need a Pentium D to keep me warm, though.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    i also saw a listing of a shoebox pc being sold in a local forum here in singapore. i'll post the link n pics if i can ever find it again lol!
    Now that you mentioned this, here's a little blast-from-the-past here on BCN:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...hlight=shoebox
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8275

Comment

All you need is to get a small swamp cooler , put the lap top on a t.v. tray in front of the swamp cooler .
      https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-3...-CFM/999901435

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_tray_table

Comment

Originally posted by PopcornMobo View Post
        I've found only two examples of people water cooling their laptops but they were pretty sketchy.
        Life is too short to not have fun with sketchy watercooling!
        Hard to believe this was back in 2010, where did the years go?
        Attached Files

Comment

LOL, I like it!
          But what are you using for powering this whole setup? Can't be just a USB port. Firewire maybe? Or external power (that would be my guess)?

Comment

That kit's pump was actually 5v, so I snagged it from a SATA connector. The fans would spin fast enough at 5v too. There were no doubt better places to snag some power, but this machine was a pain in the butt to run with the case apart for probing. I was also trying to do it in one night, so quick 'n dirty was the name of the game. :P

Pic is running Prime95 from the battery, and a mirror set up to show the screen in one.
            The ultimate downfall was the GF8600mGT that was heat-gunned a time or two, and the GPU sharing the same heatpipe as the Northbridge. I seem to remember the GPU having a thermal pad due to gap as well. The CPU hung out at a nice cool temp though!

I did play with DIY ViDock on that machine as well, but never mounted the WC hardware properly due to the GF8600mGT not being reliable. I got my fun out of that ASUS G2S-A1 though.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Oelmuvun View Post
              I did play with DIY ViDock on that machine as well, but never mounted the WC hardware properly due to the GF8600mGT not being reliable.
              Yeah, those mobile nVidia GF 8 series of cards (as well as the 6 and 7 series) were all quite unreliable. A friend of mine had a 8400 GS in his Sony Vaio laptop and he send it back to Sony for repair so many times that he just gave up and bought a new laptop. Then there are all of the HP Pavilion DV-series of laptops with the same issue.

The key to keep that GPU running for a long time would have been to install your water cooler as soon as you bought the laptop and make sure the GPU never goes above 60C (55C if you really want to be on the safe side). That said, I have a few desktop 8600 GT video cards, and they seem to be a little tougher as they haven't failed yet. Of course, as soon as I got them and recapped them (they were all XFX brands with Sacon FZ caps), I put a nice big heatsink on them so that they never run above 55-57C under full load. But I guess we will see how long they last.

Comment

Oelmuvun , 98 more posts and you can join us in the vip sec. On the H.P. dv 6000-9000 sez. Its the way they did the heat sink . They get hot and melt the solder .

Comment

Working...
                X