Heres the deal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres the deal.

I'm a 17 year old highschool senior whose teacher had a bad TV they wanted to get rid of.. me being the savv tech geek i figured I can fix it... When I power it up it makes a clicking noise likes it gonna turn on, then a second later makes a similar noise and its off waits 2.5 seconds does it again... and again.. and again... I looked up and found that it is a Samsung well known issue.. bad capacators or something.. idk im not a TV geek, I work at Best Buy but noooooo geek squad member... The Model number is LNS4696DX/XAA... Any direction of what to do would be fabulous.. keep in mind.. IM A NOOB!!

Re: Heres the deal.

First direction would be learning which end of the soldering iron is hot. Second, taking it apart, and posting clear focused pictures, resized as close to 2000x2000 as possible. Use the attachment function or post thumbnails on imageshack or whatever, do NOT post pictures inline as it makes stuff hard to read.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The only part I understood was your joke.

Comment

Ohhhhh.. You want me to take pictures and post them online.. Gotcha. Sorry.. Long day... Well heres the thing I dont have a soldering iron.. Do I need it to take the pics you need?

Comment

You don't need a soldering iron to take pics, but you'll need one if you want to actually fix the thing. You'll also need a multimeter, a basic 830B will do fine. They can be found everywhere (even at best buy/walmart, look in the car audio section).
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Sorry haha misunderstood the question.. so what exactly am i taking pics of.. i just removed the back panel of the TV and idk where to go from here.. idk what these things look like.. remember.. COMPLETE NOOB :P

Comment

whats that multimeter thing btw??

Comment

Originally posted by marinesman215 View Post
                whats that multimeter thing btw??
                You could at least google it before you ask. With this attitude people around here won't be too happy to help you. At least show that you're trying to understand the TV you got, then ask the questions.

Comment

Oh okay, I'm sorry. I didnt mean to offend you guys...

Comment

I think I attached the pictures correctly.. If not im sorry for the non direct bump...

*EDIT*

I Think I'm in the right area.. I mean they kinda look like wat i was trying to find.. the other panel to the right thats covered just had heatsinks and fans.. my guess is the mobo is under there.. but if you need me to try to get a pic of that or clear some of these up.. lemme kno
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by marinesman215; 02-04-2011, 03:31 PM. Reason: Added some more detail.

Comment

Now that's more like it. Could you get a close-up of the group of capacitors in the corner of the board? They look bloated but i can't tell for sure.

Comment

Not sure, but are some of the caps in pic 4 bloated on top? Bottom right of pic.

Comment

Are these what you guys are looking for?? How did you tell they were bloated from that far away.. You guys are SICK!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that's what you look for. All those bloated caps are bad and Should change all the others of that brand also that are in the area. If those caps are all over the board. I personally would change them all. What brand are they? Scratch the brand, After delawares post I looked again to see they are capxon.
                            Last edited by steve2; 02-04-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Make all 12 Capxon caps in the last photo go away. Panasonic FC or FM series are a good choice.
                              I'm sure the senior members here will agree and add their $.02.
                              Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by marinesman215 View Post
                                Are these what you guys are looking for?? How did you tell they were bloated from that far away.. You guys are SICK!!
                                It's easy: the tops of the caps are raised on at least one of them is actually leaking. The larger ones appear to be 1000uF, 10Volt. What series Capxons are they? Usually it's a 2 or 3-letter code (such as FC) near the temp rating.

If you're going to replace them, the sizes are important because if they're too tall you can't put the back on the TV without hitting them. If the diameter is too large you won't be able to fit them in if in tight placement.

Presuming you're in the US, Mouser and Digikey are good, reliable sources for parts. DON'T rely on Radioshack for capacitors. Their capacitors are general purpose and will not work reliably in power supplies and computers (SMPS-Switch-Mode Power Supply).
                                Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

They are also polarity sensitive. Look at them before you start taking it apart and note where the white stripe is. Then look at the board to see how they marked it for negative. Could be colored white or may just have a +at the other side. I f you put one in backwards, you will know as soon as power is applied. If you know someone at the geek squad where you work, they may be able to solder it for you.

Comment

Its a big Tv to haul in to get that done in my opinion.. I kinda wanted to do it myself.. I mean the TV was free anyways... You guys threw so many questions at me.. haha what is it that you wanna know.. what brand they are and what it says on them...? Is there a fourm for a step by step direction for how to soder them on? if not im sure I can get a youtube demo.

*EDIT*

I cannot seem to find what specific model they are.. There is no other information on the caps themselves then the numbers that are marked on the board itself. Are they all supposed to be the same size...? Or will i need to get 3 different types of caps.. I apologize guys for my noobness, but you guys are a wealth of information and ive learned a good deal already!!
                                    Last edited by marinesman215; 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM. Reason: Added information

Comment

They will be marked with ???UF which is the capacitance. They will have 85c or 105c for the temp range. Usually have a series FC, Fm , Hm, etc. You would want to try to match that series or upgrade it. Then you have the voltage rating which is how many volts it can handle. I didn't figure to take the whole tv in to geek squad. Just the board with the bad caps.

Comment

I've already spotted these capacitors in that corner, replace just the bloaters with good quality capacitors, all you need are the uF and voltage info. Rest will last for long time.

I have done this for a living.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                                        X