PS4 HDMI Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 HDMI Issue

So I have a PS4 sitting on my bench this time. The jack was definitely damaged almost beyond recognition so I swapped it out with a new one. The joints didnt come out terribly great but after following some of Andrew Paul's videos I was able to test each and every pin and had continuity without issue.

Problem is that I still get a black image and no sound when the device is powered on. Im using a monitor that auto cycles through inputs if it reads no signal but it will stay on the HDMI input so I know its getting at least that far.

I've checked for missing components near the port and the encoder ic chip and everything looks good. What values I could find I tested and didnt have an issue. Proper continuity across all four of the coils near the encoder IC chip. I also havnt been able to find any shorts, but I could be simply overlooking a few key components due to lack of a schematic.

So at this point Im starting to finger the blame on the encoder IC chip itself. Ive read that this can be a common failure along with damaged HDMI ports(though I dont know how a damaged HDMI port can cause issues to the chip like that. Maybe its a heat issue during replacement of the port?) I do not have a known good chip to test and I would highly prefer not ordering a new chip unless totally necessary. The rules of the company I work for makes it so if we have to pay to order a new chip in then its gunna go on the customers ticket regardless if it fixed the issue or not hence I really dont want to have to charge my customer for a new encoder chip if it turns out not to be the case, though this may be what I have to do anyways.

So what I really want to know is how can I test the chip to see if its at fault? And is there anything else I ought to rule out before the chip itself?

Re: PS4 HDMI Issue

at this point, a butchered cable or a spare socket on the other end of the cable would help you check for shorts between pins or open tracks/parts to the chip

Comment

hdmi switch chip dies when jack gets mangled.
      mn86471a

Comment

Welp I've gone ahead and replaced the chip. Ive checked against the pinout and everything seems like it should be fine, no shorts anywhere, and yet still no image.

Im kinda stumped now. By every account I can think of I should have a working board and yet I dont.

Comment

Just finished a repair like yours, my first actually. After putting new HDMI port had the same issue as before fixing being the immediate powering off. I also put some big washers on the screws and voila. Led light stays on and white but NO picture coming from HDMI, pity... Wonder what to do next...

Comment

HDMI encoder chips have a habit of dying;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAFe0M7cusA

Comment

I do lots of PS4 HDMI ports and of them about 30% also have bad encoder chips. My success rate when replacing the encoder chip is 70/30 at best. Still have not found solution to fix the remaining consoles.

Comment

I fixed one the other day. Just the HDMI port was broken. It is not easy you need to do it a couple of times and set your technique!

Comment

OP: can you please post clear pictures of the HDMI port pins (top down) and post clear pictures of your HDMI chip rework?

I work on PS4 consoles often. I've replaced 50+ HDMI ports last year.

Common issues is that you have at least one or more pins that are not actually connected.

Do you have a microscope and a fine soldering tip with flux?

-Thomas
                  -Thomas
                  I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X