Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2007WFP Won't Power On

Originally posted by pedro View Post
    The USB board obviously produces a regulated +5V from the 19V supply. Is it a possibility that THAT is the supply for the logic board, and NOT the 19V? If they are going to use 3-terminal linear regs for 3.3v etc on the logic board, that would make sense.
    I'm sure it is. There appear to be four bucking regulators on the USB card. This is definitely an older design; I came across something similar on a Viewsonic VP211B; on that monitor the power supply put out about 18Vdc; the bucking regulators and the USB hardware were on the signal card.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I have a 2007 WFP that I am going to be working on today, the only problem it has is with one of the back lights. Initially when I was testing this on the bench I neglected to have the USB board attached, and of course the monitor would not work, so like pedro and PlainBill state it plays an important role in generating the other voltages.
      If you need to know what any of the good pin or component voltages on the USB board are let me know.
      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Is F19 good on the USB board?
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by pedro View Post
          The USB board obviously produces a regulated +5V from the 19V supply. Is it a possibility that THAT is the supply for the logic board, and NOT the 19V? If they are going to use 3-terminal linear regs for 3.3v etc on the logic board, that would make sense.
          I knew something about this design was different. Having a dead monitor work hasn't helped otherwise it would be easy for me to get the voltage readings off each pin connector.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
            Next, what are the voltages on each of the 12 pins connecting the signal card to the USB card?

There are 4 regulators you have indicated have 19V on two pins. What are the part numbers of those 4 ICs?

Last, what is the part number of U2 on the USB card. What is the voltage on the three pins?

PlainBill
            Retiredcaps I re-tested with the USB board disconnected but had the same results.
            I've uploaded some additional pics, one shows the bottom side of the usb board indicating the pins getting voltage,(took the picture first then plugged the board in ) the other is the U2 chip. The 4 IC's with 19v are part# J598.
            I'm trying to be as detailed as possible with pictures guys , but if its too much I'll tone it down. I figured pictures tell a thousand words!

Thanks for jumping in on this Plainbill and Pedro.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
              Is F19 good on the USB board?
              Yes F19 gets 19v in and 19v out

Comment

Originally posted by croket View Post
                Retiredcaps I re-tested with the USB board disconnected but had the same results.
                I've uploaded some additional pics, one shows the bottom side of the usb board indicating the pins getting voltage,(took the picture first then plugged the board in ) the other is the U2 chip. The 4 IC's with 19v are part# J598.
                I'm trying to be as detailed as possible with pictures guys , but if its too much I'll tone it down. I figured pictures tell a thousand words!

Thanks for jumping in on this Plainbill and Pedro.
                I for one appreciate the detailed pictures. It makes it a lot easier if I can SEE what the part number is, and it makes it a lot easier if I can say 'What are the voltages on pins 9 and 15 of U3 and U4?' rather than have to download a picture, load it into Paint, circle ICs, and ask what the part number is.

Which brings us to the next step. What are the voltages on pins 9 and 15 of U3 and U4? Does 19 volts appear on any of the pins of the white connector on the left side of the USB board? What connects to that connector?

Briefly, these boards are a step back from what I was expecting. U3 and U4 are dual pulse width controllers. The J598s are 2SJ598, a P-Channel FET.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

On both U3 and U4, Pins 9 show 18v and pins 15 show 0v. The connector at the end of the board is for the actual USB ports (2 ports mounted on a small board with 4 small caps). That connector reads 0v on all 8 pins.

Comment

On both U3 and U4, Pins 9 show 18v and pins 15 show 0v. The connector at the end of the board is for the actual USB ports (2 ports mounted on a small board with 4 small caps). That connector reads 0v on all 8 pins.
                    What are the voltages on every pin of U3? U3 and U4 are the controllers for the DC-DC converter. As closely as I can determine, for some reason the gates of the J598's are not being driven.

PlainBill

Comment

I've uploaded another picture detailing the leg voltage on U4, U3 also has the same voltage.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I've uploaded another picture detailing the leg voltage on U4, U3 also has the same voltage.
                        OK, I'm going to have to figure out how to get a real live TL1451 to measure.

PlainBill

Comment

Here are some measurements I took on my board,
                          The inverter is not installed so there is very little load.
                          The row of 'g' fuses all have 5.12v
                          U3 and U4 have almost exactly the same pin voltages.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Alexanna, if you power up just the logic board (with out the usb board) which pins have voltage & what do they read?

Comment

I will re-check a little later to make sure,but i think every thing is dead without the USB pulged in.All of the tests were done without the small USB board installed.

Comment

Without the USB hooked up I see 19v on the black and brown wires at the logic board

on pin #9 of the 12 pin conector to the USB right about .5v
                                Last edited by alexanna; 10-13-2011, 02:56 PM. Reason: added pin p voltage

Comment

If we are interpreting things correctly, crocket's board should be providing power to the signal card whenever the power supply is plugged in. The USB jacks will not have power unless a device is plugged into them.

PlainBill

Comment

It can get confusing; I will call the USBs big and small.
                                    The small board doesn't have to be installed for the big board to generate voltages for the signal board.
                                    However 5 volts is on the row of ‘G' fuses going to the connector for the small board.

Comment

Ok so your logic board is getting the same voltage on the pins as mine without the big USB board attached, so its safe to say the problem is isolated to the USB board. I don't get the 5v at the 'G' row.
                                      PlainBill, sounds like your on to something with the gates not opening.

Comment

It has to be on the USB board
                                        There is a row of fuses that look to protect the circut going to the small usb conector,they have a 'G' stamped on them.
                                        Have you measured the voltages on the pins of the J598s?

Comment

Yes I did measure all 4 the j598s, I get 19v to both the legs on all them. The row of fuses stamped with "G" have no voltage getting to them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X