Installing new caps on a HP motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing new caps on a HP motherboard

Here are some images that I forgot to add in before. Those are the Hitano EXR series caps.... a bit big but they fit in well and run well. Theres also an image of the damaged trace.... Is that trace even repairable?? luckily the "thing" that damaged the trace didn't knock any SMT components off the board.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

looks like that trace goes to the vdimm vrm chip.
      might run but i bet vdimm is off spec.
      easy fix.i scrape the trace to bright copper and tin it.
      i use an isotip with 1/64 tip.
      i form a bit of edm wire to the trace and tin it.lay it in place and secure it.
      add a bit of solder to my iron and carefully wipe it along the trace.
      cut excess with xacto.

Comment

First check if the trace is broken or still continuous. It can be a surprise - a bad looking trace still continuous or a not so bad looking one but broken.

Comment

How do I check if the traces are still continuous?? Either me or my multimeter isn't good at it, I put the setting to 200 ohms, then 2000 ohms and it still showed that the circuit was open, I even tried this on other traces and same result. I know my multimeter works because I can measure the continuity of caps.
          What should I do to check it??
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Make sure your probes are touching copper, not just the green mask.

Comment

that chip ISL6504ACB :

Provides four ACPI-Controlled Voltages
              - 5VDUAL USB/Keyboard/Mouse
              - 3.3VDUAL/3.3VSB PCI/Auxiliary/LAN
              - 1.2VVID Processor VID Circuitry
              - 1.5VSB ICH4 Resume Well
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Hi mate

from what I can tell with the photos the trace from pin 11 looks intact but yes are damaged.

The one from pin 13 I cant really tell were it goes after the cap (brown thing)...maybe a via that the damage is on top of

The green solder mask as Spacedye69 has pointed out is an insulator so if you touch your probe to that it will read high resistance open circuit

so to check for continuity 0 ohms you need to put one probe on pin 11 and find were that trace goes to or possibly scratch back a bit of the mask at an undamaged point
                (preferable not to do this though and I wouldn't unless I had no choice)
                If it was me I would go pin 11 and the point were its still bear near R2X7
                bottom of the seven, just before the solder mask starts again

But better to find the end and a component connected to it.

For pin 13 I can't tell so your on your own there.

Ideally repair as Kc8adu has pointed out is best but if you don't think you have the skills to do it then it maybe better left alone if the system is working fine.

pin 11 is 5VDLSB output Drive current, goes to Gate of P mosfet or bipolar PNP
                pin 13 SS soft start (internal) goes to external cap

Get the pdf here from this link for more info on their uses

By the sounds of the pdf it would be working if they were damaged and open circuit.

After reading what pin11 does repair probably would be preferable but I'll leave that open for comment from those that fix em on a day by day basis.

HTH

Cheers
                Last edited by starfury1; 02-23-2007, 07:32 AM.
                You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I have a fine tip conductive silver pen for just such repairs. I cover it with clear fingernail polish afterwards.

Comment

Pin11 is:

Connect this pin to the gate of a suitable P-MOSFET or
                    bipolar PNP. ISL6504: In S3 sleep state, this transistor is
                    switched on, connecting the ATX 5VSB output to the
                    5VDUAL regulator output. ISL6504A: In S3 and S4/S5 sleep
                    state, this transistor is switched on, connecting the ATX
                    5VSB output to the 5VDUAL regulator output.

In other words it is for the S3 ACPI sleep mode... I.e. you can put your computer "to sleep" ram is powered by +5v VSB so it really is completley turned off... When you start it the RAM is powered again by the +5v line... And the computer will come right back up...

Well that's the theory, I've never got the S3 sleep state to not crash a computer
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i know what you mean, i have tried it for years and it simply was not working.
                      But with my Asrock Dual Sata rig it is ATM working fine. I think S3 is now long enough on the market, that it should work on every new board.
                      But probably it is the software, wich causes manny issues.
                      ATM i only boot my system, if some crappy software want it to do so....

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been back here for a while, but I finally got around to measuring the conductivity of that damaged trace and I think it is still intact?!!! I will have to check on that again soon.
                        But nonetheless, the numbers on my multimeter returned to 00.00.
                        I'll measure again to make sure, and yes I measured a section where there was a scratched solder mask.

Thanks.

Comment

I would say.... if it's not causing you any issues, best leave it alone!!!
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                            Pin11 is:

Connect this pin to the gate of a suitable P-MOSFET or
                            bipolar PNP. ISL6504: In S3 sleep state, this transistor is
                            switched on, connecting the ATX 5VSB output to the
                            5VDUAL regulator output. ISL6504A: In S3 and S4/S5 sleep
                            state, this transistor is switched on, connecting the ATX
                            5VSB output to the 5VDUAL regulator output.

In other words it is for the S3 ACPI sleep mode... I.e. you can put your computer "to sleep" ram is powered by +5v VSB so it really is completley turned off... When you start it the RAM is powered again by the +5v line... And the computer will come right back up...
                            I put my this motherboard into Standby and Hibernate modes tonight and both modes worked well and the motherboard fired up well when the power button or keyboard buttons were pushed.

I think that means the motherboard is still OK?

The Mainboard is very stable under Windows XP and Hibernate + standby also works under XP. I'm currently using a Celeron 2.00Ghz CPU and 512MB of Generic DDR PC3200 RAM.

Thanks.
                            Last edited by stevo1210; 04-05-2007, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Yup, then you know for sure that it works fine...

That is if it really went into deep standby (S3) and not just standby (S1), i.e. the PSU fan stopped...?
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                Yup, then you know for sure that it works fine...

That is if it really went into deep standby (S3) and not just standby (S1), i.e. the PSU fan stopped...?

I am not familliar with the S1 and S3 modes, but when I clicked on standby under Windows XP, the CPU fan, PSU fans were all off. Only the USB mouse light was still on. The system turns back on after pressing any keys on the keyboard. So I think it did go into S3 mode.

I did the same with hibernate mode under Windows XP, the system went to hibernate and when the power pins are shorted, the motherboard turns back on and resumes to where it was before.

Thanks.

Comment

Hibernate is different, it saves the content of the RAM to a file on disk (c:\hiberfil.sys)

Then the computer is fully shutdown, when you boot it next time it goes through POST and then reads the file c:\hiberfil.sys into RAM, which depending on how much RAM you have takes a while...

With S3 power is still provided to RAM when the computer is off, therefore when you power it back up you get right to where you left the system before with no delay at all, of course a power failure when the computer "is off" would wipe the contents off the RAM: it would be just the same thing as if you lost power when working on the computer, all unsaved data is lost...

(With the hibernate mode however power can of course be removed fully, i.e. power cable from PSU can be removed and the system will still boot up to the state you left it in)

Comment

This is my 200 post now. It is about time I got to 200 posts. Now I become a senior member.... hehe.

Thanks Per Hansson for the advice,

I want to know how to I get my PC into S3 mode???? The only thing closest to S3 is probably standby, stadby turns off the whole system and requires the mouse and keyboard to be pressed to get it back on.

Thanks.
                                    Last edited by stevo1210; 04-06-2007, 05:35 AM.

Comment

First the BIOS/Mainboard must support it

Then you must enable it in the BIOS

(don't select the default S1&S3 mode, that commonly seems to make windows lock up, select S3 only)

And congratz on the 200:th post!

Comment

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since i've recapped this motherboard with the Hitano EXR caps. But I want this motherboard to look a bit neater because right now with 10mm caps, they have to be bent or tilted to fit properly.

The Hitano caps on this Trigem motherboard have no problems, but I want everything to look neater than it is now. Also the dust that lies in the bottom on the caps is quite hard to clean out....
                                        So now I am recapping this board again. It will become a server motherboard now, where I will store all of my files etc.... So it's going to have to be mission critical.

I am not sure which cap to choose.... I have a choice of Panasonic FL 1800uf 6.3v 8mm and FJ 1500uf 6.3V 8mm (original capacitance is 1500uf), both of these capacitor models are ultra low ESR.... which is exactly what I need.

Which one would be better 1500uf or 1800uf??

I have heard from a few people that if I increase capacitance, I have a more stable motherboard and also one that performs better.

There are also a bunch of Samyoung 1000uf 16V 10mm caps. I have no idea about the quality of Samyoung caps, but I've seen bulging Samyoung caps before.
                                        For the positions where the Samyoung caps are, would it be OK to put in a bunch of Sanyo WG 1500uf 16V 10mm caps??

Thanks.

Comment

not sure on the pannie FL FJ series at this point but yeah you must
                                          (as you would know by now) use Quality low ESR caps.
                                          (he states the obvious says Stevo ))

FC or FM seemed to be the recommend for the VRM circuit if you are using Pannies

Samyoung I think yeah ditch them
                                          (bad or not great caps if memory serves from this forum)

Going up to 1800 uf shouldn't be a problem I think
                                          but those that know This MB will have comment on this I am sure
                                          (seems they have from what you say)

Yeah mostly going up a bit in value is no problem, capacitance or voltage wise
                                          so 1000 uf to 1500uf should be ok on the sanyo's

I suppose it depends on FL or FJ, how well suited they are to the VRM task

heres a post on the forum mentions FJ

"The Good Capacitors Photo Thread"

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=588

Yanz said (no were has he been? .. haven't noticed a post lately)

Panasonic FJ Capacitor

For more than a year we had been questioning about its data specification. We see them in a lot of modern motherboards (even cheap board like ECS) and vga card (especially powercolor). Thanks to Willawake, he found the FJ datasheet that Panasonic it self hide it for no reason.

It turns out that this caps is for real, from Panasonic, and many motherboards/vga card manufacturers use it because it is comparable to: Chemicon KZG (good cap), Rubycon MBZ (good cap), Nichicon HM (it's badcaps in past time).

So if you found this FJ cap on a motherboard or vga card you want to choose, fear not, they are good caps.
                                          Anyway I'll leave the cap, FL FJ use open for comment
                                          (probably be ok with them)

I couldn't find any reference to FL on the site

Someone has asked the question here to but no detailed replys to it
                                          but got this from the BC link FJ PDF

OK found this from Linux guru Thread HERE
                                          FK is low-ESR non-aqueous, but not ultra-low ESR. Its successor series are FM (Japanese, Malaysian), FJ (Malaysian only) and FL (Malaysian only). You should probably stick to FM, even though it's aqueous - it's generally available worldwide.
                                          well hope its of some help but know your looking for more definite confirmation on this.

Cheers
                                          Attached Files
                                          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
                                          X