Behemot's reviews (Hardware Insights)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Behemot's reviews (Hardware Insights)

Simple question. Because of the special occasion, I have translated the Huntkey FX500SE review to english.

But I just found that competitive website has taken their production to wholy new level (.com domain and some stuff being translated into there) and I can't say I won't use extra readers, local market simply won't feed us all. At least not for it to be interesting. Would you be interested if I translated the previous and future reviews to english even though it may be pain to read from time to time (I am not native)? And if so, is it also possible you would spread the word?
    Sure! (the more good reviews, the better)
    0%
    I guess, from time to time
    0%
    Don't think so (hate bad english, don't read strange reviews etc.)
    0%
    Never (don't read anything from far east)
    0%
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Would you read my reviews in english?

I wouldn't bookmark a czech site, or a site that's in a language I don't understand (english, romanian, maybe italian since it's similar).

But I would visit an English site from time to time if I'm reminded about it.

Converting the reviews to English may give you the ability to announce your reviews on various sites with forums such as jonnyguru, overclockers, etc and gradually gain visitors

I'm often checking out techpowerup, hardwaresecrets , even hardwareinsights etc as I see people mention reviews on jonnyguru and other forums.

Comment

Absolutely, I would read them. Your English isn't bad

Comment

I've corrected most of the typos, if there is anything else wrong, feel free to let me know…
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Not many votes so far. Come on, only 7 ppl here? I am afraid it is not worth translating for 7 ppl.

I have interesting stuff here, just finished czech version of Be Quiet! L7 CM 530 W. Next will come the Fortron Aurum.

Comment

Do your reviews have an interesting slant / twist? Like you describe the Czech beer your drinking while reviewing and then you pour an American beer on a power supply to test its OVP and other protection schemes

Your English is as good as most of the writers at xbitlabs.com. I'm not sure what you focus on, but you could perhaps try to "share" / sell your articles with / to them if they're all PSU related, since I don't believe they have many if any reviews on PSU's. Of course you should want to be paid something for your time.
            Last edited by cashkennedy; 08-12-2013, 10:40 PM.
            Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

I got the czech versions published on that site the Huntkey is (Diit.cz), maybe something as re-selling? But it seems to me they do review PSUs. Not that many as other websites maybe, but still.

I drink Heineken now, it's not a a bad beer really and I bumped into some on discount lately But still, pouring beer onto power supply, you think we are some barbarians here?
              Last edited by Behemot; 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

The review is official now under http://diit.cz/clanek/huntkey-fx500se-5

Comment

Oh why not I'll bite. Lets see about the review in your OP.

You're already doing a lot better then the laughable engrish that I used to decode and rewrite for user guides.

"It has undergone certification as Jumper X7 500 and later was renamed." This reads a little odd. Was it certified under the name Jumper X7 500, and then renamed?

"Recommended selling price has been (also thanks to my stimulus) lowered to 135 USD."

I'd change "stimulus" to "input". Reads less weird that way.

"That is 27c per watt so we are in high-end segment of the market off course (high-end starts at 0,15c/W according to my scheme), but the price is very competitive among other Platinum power supplies, especially low-wattage ones."

There's nothing technically wrong with this bit, but lets see if rewording makes it read cleaner.

"That's 27 cents per watt, up there with higher end power supplies. (Higher end starting at 15 cents per watt according to my statistics) However the price is very competitive among other Platinum power supplies, especially low-wattage ones."

I think the above reads cleaner while conveying the same information.

Okay this bit...

"Regarding the packing, or more precisely, the box itself, there was first unpleasant thing waiting for me. It is more of a cosmetic problem, but thing like this just can not happen to high-end product… 80 PLUS Platinam certification does not exist, really."

There are some hitches here. This is the point where I would think this article was written by a non native English speaker, and I'd lean towards Russian being their native langauge because of "there was first unpleasant thing waiting for me".

Lets see if we can reword this...

"The packaging of the power supply lost points with me due to lacking a small but crucial detail. There was no 80 PLUS Platinum certification on the box. After contacting them, the manufacturer has reportedly fixed the error."

(Actually going back and re reading that, did you mean that the box says it's certified when it isn't?)

I'm not going to go through the whole thing and basically rewrite it. I used to get paid to do that with Chinese attempts at English user guides, and I don't feel like working on a Saturday night. I will say however that for a non native speaker, your review is better written then most. It does need polishing and editing, but it's serviceable as is.
                  Last edited by Mrx3750; 08-31-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

The problem is, I would more use brittish english because if I used all of your suggestions, I have some feeling the UK readers will also bash me because they won't like it Oxford style is still The One around here though But thanks, I'll try to implement most of it when more fit, I think I need some sleep right now…
                    Last edited by Behemot; 08-31-2013, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Ah. I'm American, so American English. I would say if you're worried about it, try to see who reads your reviews the most, and cater to their flavor of English.

I will say that the differences between American and British English are not major. Brits have sayings that differ from ours, and they spell some words slightly differently, like color/colour, but either flavor of English is still English.

Comment

Just don't do them in Welsh.

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Reviews will now be published in cooperation with c_hegge's Hwrdware Insights, here is the first one http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/silve...pdated-basics/

Methodology and equipment will be published shortly.

Comment

Nice review Behemot, no bashing from me on your English

Comment

Well Callum did some tweaking Stay tuned for some burned Seasonic units…

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Your English version of the review isn't the easiest thing in the world to read in some places, but I would read future reviews anyway because the review is very well detailed and the photos are good.

I think at the moment it would be more interesting for people like us who want a really in-depth analysis of a PSU.
                                    I think average people won't read it, but then they don't care about their PSUs anyway....

That power cord is the NZ\Australia type. I recognise it very well!
                                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

That's Frech type actually, also used here in Czech rep.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                        That's Frech type actually, also used here in Czech rep.
                                        Maybe you meant a different review? I'm talking about this photo: http://diit.cz/sites/default/files/i...l/baleni_5.jpg from http://diit.cz/clanek/huntkey-fx500se-5

Most definitely shows an NZ plug, unless I've gone insane.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X