Samsung SyncMaster T220 weird flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster T220 weird flickering

Hello everybody, you've probably seen threads with this title more than several times but this looks a little bit specific and i couldn't find a thread with the same exact issue as mine since my display isn't turning off so i'm going to ask as a preventive measure before i waste the money on changing the capacitators (which i should do anyways but i just want to be sure that this is the only problem this display has).

So the symptoms look like this:

Couple of days ago it started to develop this weird flickering that looks like the backlight is flickering extremely fast in the upper part of the display and it is so fast that it's barely visible but it began to spread more and more during last couple of days and now it drives me crazy as it acts like a small strobe light.

The only way i can show you this behavior is by uploading a video because it cannot be captured by a single snapshot or two, even in the video it's not that apparent because the camera can't record it properly.

So here it is, it's not that visible in the video until you pay atention to the flashing of the light, that's actually what is going on and it's more evident when you're looking directly at it (ignore the irritating sound, it comes from the washing machine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45AEO8xS4oI
    Last edited by Lanikor; 03-17-2018, 08:23 AM.

Re: Samsung SyncMaster T220 weird flickering

what happens if you turn the back lights down? Does this go away once the monitor ran for a while?
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 03-22-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I can't control the brightness through the display buttons since i use HDMI>DVI adapter to connect it to my laptop which has HDMI and Mini Display Port ports, this monitor transfers the controls to the dedicated software when i use DVI port on it.

I can change settings only through Intel Control Panel (so through software only). Connection isn't loose, HDMI cable is 100% flawless. I use APC Surge Arrest extension cord so power supply isn't an issue as well.

It was really annoying for last couple of days, now it calmed down but it's still noticeable and that is bugging me out. I figure that you're connecting the dots with the "when it heats up, problems go away" theory but it was completely random for the past couple of days regardless of the amount of time the display was turned on and it can stop for like 10 minutes and starts flickering when the dominant color on the display changes.

Comment

I am guessing that if you squeeze the frame of that monitor around the area where it flickers, nothing changes? All you can do is to set the back lights lower and see if that does get you somewhere. Other than that, you would have to open her up and check for bad caps, clean and reseat all the ribbon cables, etc. I am not really convinced it is a back light problem that you have, could be also a tab bond... that's why I want you to squeeze that frame hard. You say that this flicker problem is only at the top left, correct?

Comment

Check the refresh rate of your software and make sure it corresponds to the monitors optimal refresh rate. Happened to me once, they were out of sync and I had flickering similar to yours.

Comment

I tried to squeeze it and watch out the behavior for some time, so far it looks like nothing changed, the flickering isstill there, it's barely noticeable, but it was like that for this entire day and also yesterday.

Predominantly the issue persists in the top left corner.

Refresh rate is set @ 60Hz on both displays. No other options are available, i could maybe override it manually but i have never tried that before.

Comment

Now it rarely flickers once it gets turned on, i don't have a clue what's going on, i'll pass it to a technician to change the capacitors nevertheless, it's ~10 years old, refreshing is due.

Comment

It does sound like bad capacitors, they sometimes regain part of their capabilities once warmed up. This will not last long until they fail for good.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I had a similar flickering issue on a Lenovo monitor. turned out to be a heat sensitive cap on the video control board. Once warm it settled down but a shot of cooling spray on the caps revealed the problem.

Comment

Guys just to report with the update, flickering stopped on its own without me doing anything to the display, but since the weather is now getting hotter here, it's probably the issue that the last poster described.

Comment

i need firmware bios samsung t220 bn41-01029b tw22hqcs503291f

Comment

Working...
                      X