Clear All

Re: Samsung UN65MU6500FXZA won't turn on

Aw man, LOL, you thanks for helping.
    and thanks R_J and CapLeaker as well.
    Successfully fixed: Sanyo 42" LCD, Sony 52" Bravia XBR9,

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      Ok, then that power supply is working like it should.
      Hey R_J, should I be concerned the voltages are higher
      2V for standby
      1V for on
      Thanks
      Mark
      Attached Files

Comment

I we would be concerned about that, you would know that already.

Comment

I would not be concerned, It is very likely the board is marked wrong. If you look next to that voltage mark it says A13v:12.8V which is the same point
          Last edited by R_J; 09-03-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance. I’ll get a main board and post back.
            Thanks Mark

Comment

Re: Samsung UN65MU6500FXZA won't turn on EDIT FIXED

Just wanted to update the repair on the TV and thanks to

brandontvparts on Ebay

he gave me the best price on the main board and shipping was super fast.

the TV is up and running. Thanks to everyone that helped, you guys are the best and Ill be back on the next one, in the mean time I'll be here reading and learning.

thanks Mark
              Last edited by Rotorcraft230; 09-09-2019, 08:59 PM. Reason: fixed

Comment

Glad to hear it, thanks for follow-up report.

Comment

We are seeing a lot of these coming in with a short in the lower driver board. It's tedious to go through the caps removing them one by one to find the short but it's doable. If your Tv backlights and optical on main board are turning on and off unplug the Tv and remove on ribbon cable going to the panel one at a time. If the backlights and optical stays on then the short is on that side you have disconnected. You have to remove the speaker and the lower driver board cover and test those itty bitty caps. Solder tweezers really come in handy for this job. You can also isolate it since each side has two bottom boards by disconnecting the U shaped ribbon. I am seeing most coming in with 3 green and one blue and the short was always on the blue. It's almost like Samsung had a "Houston, we have a problem here" and shoved a piece of crap board in there just to get by. It's marked BN96-39042A Once you unhook that oddball blue driver board the backlights and Tv stays on fine in most cases if it's not the Main board. Check two caps next to CK2 and CK3 on that blue board. We now save the lower driver boards on damaged panel tv's to get the good caps off them for future repairs. I also tell all my customers to avoid this model like the Covid19 virus because this is happening on 2 year old Samsung's and that's not worth the money SAMSUNG! Samsung engineering>
                  Attached Files

Comment

More failed MLCC.
                    Is that SAMSUNG LCD panel, or other OEM?
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Yes Bud...more crap from Samsung in their quest to do away without a Tcon board it's taking these caps out prematurely. Samsung panel for sure....here's the panel number. It's a pain in the ass repair and we are so busy we don't even do them anymore for fear another one will go out.
                      Attached Files

Comment

LCD panel Made in Mexico? I did not expect that.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I remember there was a shortage of MLCC's during that production time so I'm sure they stuck some crap MLCC's in there just to get production out. Also explains why there are 3 green lower tab boards and one blue. Really blows for loyal Samsung fans. Please put the Tcon board back in your Tv's Samsung! Jeez. The whole model sucks with it's cheap snap in plastic bezel that is the ONLY thing holding the panel in. Sucks. The CEO's of Samsung should return their end of the year bonus's for spewing out crap like this out of their Mexican plant.

Comment

BruceTV, you have perfectly described the issue I am having with a UN65MU6500FXZA. I plug it in and the backlight and TV come on for a few seconds, then powers off. If I unplug the mainboard, it stays powered on and lit up. I read this post and saw that I do have 1 Blue and 3 Green lower driver boards. I tested with just the blue one disconnected, and it stays on. I also tried with the blue one connected, and the other side U cable removed, and it stays on. This leaves me wondering if I have the same issue or not. The blue board is marked BN96-39042A.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by brucetv View Post
                            We are seeing a lot of these coming in with a short in the lower driver board. It's tedious to go through the caps removing them one by one to find the short but it's doable. If your Tv backlights and optical on main board are turning on and off unplug the Tv and remove on ribbon cable going to the panel one at a time. If the backlights and optical stays on then the short is on that side you have disconnected. You have to remove the speaker and the lower driver board cover and test those itty bitty caps. Solder tweezers really come in handy for this job. You can also isolate it since each side has two bottom boards by disconnecting the U shaped ribbon. I am seeing most coming in with 3 green and one blue and the short was always on the blue. It's almost like Samsung had a "Houston, we have a problem here" and shoved a piece of crap board in there just to get by. It's marked BN96-39042A Once you unhook that oddball blue driver board the backlights and Tv stays on fine in most cases if it's not the Main board. Check two caps next to CK2 and CK3 on that blue board. We now save the lower driver boards on damaged panel tv's to get the good caps off them for future repairs. I also tell all my customers to avoid this model like the Covid19 virus because this is happening on 2 year old Samsung's and that's not worth the money SAMSUNG! Samsung engineering>

Comment

I just picked up this exact tv at the curb. Back light doesn't come on and screen doesn't show anything when I use my led tester to power the back light. Disconnecting the cable to the main board the back light powers on. The red led light on the bottom flashes in response to inputs from the select/power button but the optical port doesn't have a red light on inside it (is it supposed to?) Also detaching the ribbon cables from the main board connectors does nothing. Could a EPROM replacement fix my problem.

Comment

Also the main board heat sink is warm so is got to be processing something. Any ideas? I'll check back in the morning.

Comment

It's going to get the hammer and contractor bag trash treatment I guess. Shooting in the dark is not my style. I have not enough experience outside of led strip quick fixes to justify throwing money at something. There is only 2 topics that mentioned this model. Not a lot to go on

Comment

put pretty much any samsung un65 or un55 model in the search, there's a lot of info here about such.

Comment

it may take some investigation, can you post some good focused straight on pictures of each board and one of the whole back as to see how everything is connected? can use the go advanced for posting pics.
                                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 07-13-2022, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                        put pretty much any samsung un65 or un55 model in the search, there's a lot of info here about such.

Ok I didn't know to search outside of my specific model number. Un65 un55 are in the same samsung build style and diagnostics should be the similar. Got it will search some more. I'm lucky it's nice out and I am working on some mowers instead of smashing and breaking down the tv. Lol.

Comment

here's a good video on testing, I usually suspect a problem on the panel driver board/s, maybe a shorted/bad capacitor or other component, can follow those tests there to try to narrow down the problem, lots of good videos on there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77tymvTJDxo

Comment

Working...
                                          X