Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel d865 PERL Power button doesn't work

Hi
    this is an unknown bord to me so i tested it without cpu and without memory (just in case the VRM IS BAD) i put a post code card in PCI slot but when i take my screwdriver and use it to bridge the front panel POWER ON pins together nothing happens.The mobo reacts only when i short power good to ground pins on the atx connector once i get this response from the mobo the post card inserted in the pci slot reacts too and has all of its voltage raid leds on (+12 -12 +5 -5 +3.3 ).Does this mean it is safe to put a cpu and memory?or are there any other way of testing cpu vrm mosfet's if so what is it ( i do not want to put a good working cpu on an unknwon motherboard because i leanrt the hard way : fried 2 working athlons testins a friend's mobo
    Thanks in advance
    Jorge

Re: Intel d865 PERL Power button doesn't work

There is Akor's test procedure Here in the FAQs

Not sure exactly what happens on startup with no cpu or ram but without the
    "power good" being received it wont
    (well I think that the case still these days)

The idea was that once the supply has settled it would send this signal to tell the MB its ok to boot up...it is a short duration (less then 500mS)
    Not sure if its "Active" high or low but if its happening when you ground I suppose its low.

someone who's more familiar with checking these things in that state should be able to give you more accurate info then I

Mosfets tend to go short and yeah they can be checked with a Multimeter
    There's a post here that deals a bit with testing them
    (there are other posts throughout the forum , use the search function)

I'd say normally there fairly robust in a circuit and more likely something killed them then there dieing of there own accord (still possible)

So Any reason as to why you may suspect dead ones?

hopefully someone will pop up with more accurate info for you

Hope this helps anyway

Cheers

Still thinking about it I suppose something should happen when the power switch is hit??? humm anyway I dont know
    Last edited by starfury1; 02-12-2008, 08:45 PM.
    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

That particular board suffered from the Nichicon HM and/or HN problem.
      If you have those them change them first.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

sounds more like you are forcing the psu on by grounding the green power on lead.
        if the mobo wont power on without this +5stby is low/noisy or southbridge is bad.

Comment

thanks KC8 that sort of answers my head scratching PS above
          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
            That particular board suffered from the Nichicon HM and/or HN problem.
            If you have those them change them first.
            i just bought the caps you mentioned(JACKON).

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
              sounds more like you are forcing the psu on by grounding the green power on lead.
              if the mobo wont power on without this +5stby is low/noisy or southbridge is bad.
              Yes i had to force the PSU in order to get the motherboard ON because the front panel POWER ON pins do not work.Is it harmful to the board (Forcing the PSU like that)?.The southbridge looks OK (no burnt spots).

Comment

Working...
              X