Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hp compaq cq60 power light turns on itself but no display

HI everyone

i have an asus Compaq Presario CQ60-111EM. Bought it from Ebay it worked fine few day before it stopped working . I search for a while and i found this awesome forum to with very good and reliable tips for laptop repairs. So lets discuss about my problem.
    when i plug the charger in to laptop, power light and wirless button light turn on itself without pressing the power button and fans keep spinning until i plug the charger out, when i try same thing second time only power light comes on and fan does not spin at all, same thing happens again and again randomly, display does not come at all only black screen. charging light also comes on and dvd drive also work i guess becoze it comes out when i press the eject button, i can hear somthing spinning i think it is either hard drive or dvd drive. i took it apart , tried all basics things like reseat ram even tried different ram, tried different processor etc but nothing worked. i got nothing to test but going to buy multimeter to test it, but dont know what shud i test as i am not good to repair the motherboard but willing to learn infact keen to learn.

Does anyone know what cud be wrong with it, plz help me in this regard.

does anyone know anytype of source of learning motherboard repairs like weblink or books etc or anone briefly describle abt it.

thanks

Re: hp compaq cq60 power light turns on itself but no display

sorry it is HP not Asus

Comment

Does it have a nVidia sticker on it? If it does, it's most likely the classic nVidia GPU failure. Needs reflowing.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yes, it got Nvidia chip, plz tell me correct procedure of reflowing, i got hot air station, flux etc. but struggling to get correct procedure of reflowing like what temprature shud i set on? how long shud i put on? shud i rotate the hot air over chip or shud it be static ? dont want to try ovan method as it already burnt out a motherboard.
        I desperately need help, plz help me??????

thanks

Comment

The people i know who do it professionally use infrared not hot air. Myself, i use the oven method coz i don't have an infrared station. Never had a problem with it, so far 5 out of 5 recoveries. Putting it in the oven is going to be more uniform than using the hot air station anyway. I have a hot air station too, but there's no way in the world i'd be using it for large BGAs. Maybe only if i had the right attachment for the hot air gun.

I've been using 210C/7 minutes, with the board allowed to cool down to normal temperature before being removed from the oven (open door and let it cool). The temperature is always monitored with the temp probe of my multimeter.

So i can't help you set your hot air station, sorry. All i know is set it too high and you will certainly break the chipset.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

that's low, solder melts at 217-227 depending on the silver content.

Comment

Hi, sorry for late replay as i was away, still struggling to reflow by hot air station.
              thanks for ur respose.

Comment

The CQ60 is GeForce 8200, which is integrated into the chipset. It is not a standalone GPU. I am not sure if nvidia chipsets have any reliability issues, but it is not the same GeForce 8 chip which had massive failures in laptops.

The one CQ60 I worked on was really...funny...about POSTing.

I finally figured out a method for making it post reliably...

First, install the battery, plug in power cord. Next, Turn it on. It will power up, but not post. Next, with it running, remove the battery, then the power cord. The computer will turn off, as all power sources have been removed. This will drain any residual power out of the computer.

Next, connect the power cord. Power it on again, and it should post. After it posts, install the battery. It should be good until you remove the battery again, or until the battery drains down to 0%, in which case, repeat the process.

I had to send it back to the owner with directions on how to do this. It did it before and after a motherboard replacement, so I'm fairly sure there's some sort of design flaw in the motherboard that causes it to work only every other time power is completely removed from the system.

Edit: The final cause of the problems in the CQ60 I worked on was two-fold. One - a bad CPU memory controller. CPU worked, but one of the memory slots was dead. New CPU fixed that. Two - failure to post due to a completely dead battery that would not charge, even though the charge indicator light came on. After replacing the battery and going through the above weird plug/unplug procedure, it worked fine. Your case is likely different, but I'm just throwing it out there in case there is a pattern with this model laptop.
                Last edited by yyonline; 10-27-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                  I am not sure if nvidia chipsets have any reliability issues
                  Chipsets with onboard video cook themselves even worse than dedicated GPUs. And it's not only been the 8400/8600, the problem exists since the 6150, and continues to exist in new GPUs and chipsets, albeit less severe.

Comment

Not sure if this is still active thread, but I have info on a cq60
                    -210us with similar problem and my fix and now a new issue. First issue was a memory slot problem. Can only use 1 slot (farther from mb). Booted fine and wirelessly got to net. Then wireless connection failed. Put a netgear wpn111 in usb slot and can work wirelessly now. There is an obvious underlying problem here (maybe more than one). CPU seems to be failing (can that be ?) It acts weird and sometime worked ok. I am using it here. what to replace ? Never did a laptop cpu replacement. Is this the right thread to post this?

Comment

Wireless or networking controller failure is a issue signaling the pending death of a nVidia chipset.

Reflow it and it should come back up. I have a DV9000 with nVidia 8400GS that gave artifacts on cold startup since i got it 1.5 years ago, then the (wired) network controller died about 4 months ago, then the numlock button started bringing the numpad in the middle of the keyboard (even tho this model has a dedicated numpad), and it still doesn't want to die for good so i can bother to take it apart and reflow it. I still use it every day, the only issue that is really bothering me is the numpad one.

Each one with their luck i guess.
                      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am of the same opinion. It sure isn't going to get better. I will need more info on reflowing a board, but I have read enough to be interested. That failing, or me loosing my courage, is a new mother board the fix or are there parts gpu,cpu that are replaceable. I love to tinker, so this might be a fun learning experience. Thanks again for the fast help.

Comment

On your model, nope, no separate GPU, and the CPU never fails. A new motherboard would be the fix if the reflow fails... but done careful it'll work. Just get rid of those lame thermal pads and make aluminum shims to fit between the big chips (CPU, chipset, GPU if separate) and the heatsink. Apply good quality thermal compound on both sides of the shims, and you should have a job that will last enough for the hardware to become obsolete.

Comment

I read a bunch on reflow and get many different opinions. I would be forced to use the oven method and then reinstall to see if it "took". From the way it was acting, I am certain it is a bad solder joint (somewhat intermittent). I may just cook the board to see how it reacts after I install the new board(and it works). So I took it apart and ordered a new MB. Got a refurb that is supposed to be from HP (we'll see how lucky I am). Very much appreciate your last response. I was wondering about the thermal pads and the CPU. Take down was easy. We'll see how good I am when I put it back together. Board should be here on Monday. I'll report success or failure, as these forums are a wealth of information. This one is exceptionally good. (I will look for some alum. shims as that sounds like a real good idea)

Comment

I made some copper spacers from some old copper pipe I had. Used a Dremel tool to make them thin and smooth. I hope the thermal paste is really a "paste". Would hate to see them moving about in the computer. I like to use a very thin layer of paste. They seem to hold fairly snugly between the old board and heatsink in a trial run with no paste. Will see how this works

Comment

Copper works too, best use that if the heatsink is copper as well. I use aluminium because i have plenty of it around. If in doubt that paste will hold (though it does for me), use Arctic Alumina between shim and heatsink. Use regular paste on the chip side for obvious reasons.

Comment

I am amazed ! I got impatient with a laptop laying around in pieces, so I decided to cook the MB (aka reflow) and see what happens. Not kowing what could take heat and what could not, I removed 2 plastic shields. Took out CPU and a plug in connector. There was a small insulator around one of the external connections that I missed and it smoked a bit causing me a lot of concern. I then hung the board with paper clips from the top oven rack. Removed it and set the temp to 425 F. After it preheated to temp, I put the rack with board hanging on paperclips in the oven. Board was mid point in the oven. Went about 3 and a half minutes when the insulator mentioned above began smoking. (I think it is around the external video connector). I opened the oven door slightly, turned it off and let all cool. I decided to put it all together before I forgot how to do it. It now works with all the memory and uses the built in wireless.To say that I am amazed is an understatement. Before I speak too much, I will test and see how it hangs in there. The "new" MB was $99.00 US, and I will keep it (when it gets here) until I am much more confident the fix will hold up. The copper spacers also seem to be holding well. Time will tell. This is my personal computer (I am using it for this post) and I have another with similar problems. I may just try reflow on it. I would rather be lucky than good anytime. I was pretty lucky here. Thanks so much for the help. Hope this reply helps someone else. It has been an adventure in learning.

Comment

Hi!

It nice to have read that you solved this problem this way.

I have 2 laptops Compaq CQ60 AMD Athlon with Nvidia graphic cards.

the first one is new, when i press power button, it lights up only the ON led in front and nothing else, no fan working, blank screen, no beep.. I don't know what may be the problem. When I put on power adaptor, it lights up only the side power led near dhe power adapter plug but it doesn't light up the front led one.

the second one have this problem that it spins the fan, light power and On led, but it doesn't show nothing on the screen blank (even with external monitor). In this case it maybe this problem of the Nvida Graphic Chip and it may need a reflow. I have an hot air station, but I don't know if I should try this or the oven one.

Please can you give me any suggestion what to do to solve this. I have read that the solution of the Oven method is just temporary,maximum of three months, do you have the same experience about this?

Any suggestion is wellcome.

Comment

If you don't know what you're doing you can more easily kill it with the hot air station. I reflowed a DV9000 with GeForce 6150 more than 8 months ago. And no news from the customer is good news.

I'm gonna have to do my dv9000 (8400GS) soon as it finally seems to be giving up after >1.5 years of heavy use. But heck, it's worth it, i got it for $300 with a very minor issue (you'll laugh if i tell you what it was, but i believe i've mentioned it earlier as well).

Comment

So you recommend the OVEN method instead of hot air station or hot air Gun?
                                        What about this case of the first laptop that doesn't start the fan, power led in front is off, blank screen, do you ever have this kind of problem?

To reflow in oven, should I put any liquid to the chipset, what procedure should I follow in order to have success? how many degrees C temp. and how long?

I have this air station with all the Soldering nozzle and I found One is for this chip measure and flows air underneath the chip. I have worked only to substitute small chips not complicated chips with this, but I never used for this kind of procedure.

maybe I am trying to "bake" the first motherboard and after that if it's not successfull I will try with the air station. but I need to know the procedure, temp, time and if I should use liquid flux or not?

Regards!

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                        If you don't know what you're doing you can more easily kill it with the hot air station. I reflowed a DV9000 with GeForce 6150 more than 8 months ago. And no news from the customer is good news.

I'm gonna have to do my dv9000 (8400GS) soon as it finally seems to be giving up after >1.5 years of heavy use. But heck, it's worth it, i got it for $300 with a very minor issue (you'll laugh if i tell you what it was, but i believe i've mentioned it earlier as well).

Comment

Working...
                                        X