X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    A cheap ebay score on 2 very rare CPU's.... Coppermine 1100/100 (SL5QW) FCPGA processors. They usually sell for ~$100-ish per CPU, I got the pair for a BIN under $30 shipped, new listing, the seller didn't know what he had. With a couple slot-1 adapters, these will roar a retro rig in an Asus P2B-D!
    Well this one turned out to be a bust.... USPS and their infinite stupidity lost one of the processors....so I'll have to keep an eye open for another one.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Well this one turned out to be a bust.... USPS and their infinite stupidity lost one of the processors....so I'll have to keep an eye open for another one.
      How does that happen?!? Were the CPUs shipped in two separate packages? If so, maybe the other one will come "a little later".

BTW, I have two 1 GHz matched P3s, but they are the 133 MHz FSP versions, I think - i.e. not that special. I got them some 8 years ago or so from a local guy on CL for $1 each! And a 20 GB Seagate Baracuda ATA IV for $2 - small HDD and not that fast, but they're so damn reliable.

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
      1 - 2 laptops Hp dv5 with different damages .. Great to repair one third missing some components .
      These never stop coming to you, do they?

3 - One box of laptop batteries , some 40 ones .. No way to test them efficiently , so we'll see next ..
      All the non-genuine ones....
      or just throw them in a fire and watch the light show

As for my somewhat recent free/shit scores.... sorry I mean free/*cheap* scores :
      Found a Netgear SC101 network storage device - ancient box thing with two slots inside for 3.5" IDE HDDs. No power adapter for it, but it takes 12V so no biggie. Still haven't cleaned it or tested it. Looks a little beat up. And frankly, I don't know if something this old is even useful these days, at least when it comes to network storage at home.

The better score, however, is that I also found some arrows in the same trash can next to it... as in arrows made for bow. I already have a home-made PVC bow, so this could be interesting. Just need to make some improvements to it, as it's extremely hard to pull right now (I'm guesstimating over 60-80 LBS of force, if not more - i.e. way too much to pull by hand easily).
      Last edited by momaka; 06-22-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        How does that happen?!? Were the CPUs shipped in two separate packages? If so, maybe the other one will come "a little later".

BTW, I have two 1 GHz matched P3s, but they are the 133 MHz FSP versions, I think - i.e. not that special. I got them some 8 years ago or so from a local guy on CL for $1 each! And a 20 GB Seagate Baracuda ATA IV for $2 - small HDD and not that fast, but they're so damn reliable.
        They came from 2 different sellers.

This is for an Asus P2b-D, trusty BX chipset, but hates 133FSB. These were 1100/100 CPU's, not easy to find cheap.... It still boggles my mind how they lose shit.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

retro score.
          recycling dropoffs.
          this is just one box out of this big load.
          Attached Files

Comment

Got a Super Socket 7 motherboard with missing MOSFETs and two caps missing.

Recapped it, added the fets back and it works!

It's an Azza PT-5VMD, and the CPU under the HSF in the photo (I've since replaced that fan because it was too loud) is a Pentium 166 (non-MMX) I found in one of my boxes along with an AMD K5-PR100, a K6-2 400MHz (that killed a set of fets before, so it's junk sadly), and a Pentium 200 MMX that I have to fiddle around with to get it to work.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dan81; 06-23-2018, 05:52 AM.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

[QUOTE=momaka;834519]

These never stop coming to you, do they?

[QUOTE]

Never say never , lol , yep Momaka; .. Very sad for Hp once reputation !! . If Hp ever wanna redeem it , they must bring back Sockets for VGAs , and easily available VGAs of course , but what can i say .. I hear hp 'who cares' , lol ..

Yes , I have a huge reserve of HPs crap , and sadly , never one Hp standard piece was asked , as all meet the same end . Yet , I can still benefit from CPUs , Rams , Screens , HDs and Dvd writers , and spare parts ..

You know what is the saddest part ? .. I don't even test them anymore

All the non-genuine ones....
              or just throw them in a fire and watch the light show

Well , this week was a lucky one , two of them were sold as used and was surprised they were very good ..
              Those came from a dear friend , so better wait and see ..

Have a nice day Momaka

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                retro score.
                recycling dropoffs.
                this is just one box out of this big load.
                Kind of strange 'drop-off' items....depending on what's in those boxes.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

trusty BX chipset, but hates 133FSB.
                  Sounds just like Via KT133, LOL (That's why all my T-birds were 100 Mhz FSB, except for a 1.4 that was given to me in 2005 or around there, but believe it was 2005)
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-23-2018, 06:12 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

4 kt7-raid with bad caps.
                    some socket 7 and a 386.
                    i have a few more boxes to go through.
                    funny thing is the kt7 i grabbed at random and recapped has a modded bios.
                    stuff with isa is always a welcome dropoff.
                    those kt7 work nice in the deckel tool grinders.

Kind of strange 'drop-off' items....depending on what's in those boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      4 kt7-raid with bad caps.
                      some socket 7 and a 386.
                      i have a few more boxes to go through.
                      funny thing is the kt7 i grabbed at random and recapped has a modded bios.
                      stuff with isa is always a welcome dropoff.
                      those kt7 work nice in the deckel tool grinders.
                      I've got a couple kt7's I have no plans for. What ya got to trade?
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Got a big haul from the same friend I got the Azza board above from:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe w/ Athlon XP 2500+ - had blown KZGs, replaced them with some Canicons that tested good temporarily - will track down some Rubycons to replace them.

ECS K7VZM - had three bad caps and a dead FET near the SD RAM slots - came w/ Duron 700MHz and a heatsink that is more suited for a Socket 7 Pentium rather than a Duron.

Some HP NR146 S478 board that I got to harvest a boatload of MBZs from (there were MCZ too but ALL of them were bloated)

Radeon 9200 128MB AGP

Radeon 9250SE 128MB AGP

GF MX440-8X 64MB AGP

an strange PCI card that I can only guess it is used for surveillance - I think it has 4 BT878 chips on board and has two VGA-like ports that say CH1-8 and CH9 - CHxx

Lots of PCI NIC cards (RTL8139 for the most of them) and a PCI-X (I think) Intel NIC.

An interesting clone of a Deer PSU made by Sun Pro (yes, it's exactly the same layout) - uses a Weltrend PWM chip instead of Deer's chip-of-the-year.

Two 80GB WDC800 HDDs, one with a old XP SP1 install!

IEEE1394 and USB brackets that came with the ASUS

A Hitachi-LG CD-RW\DVD-ROM (it reports as being from 2005, so it's true) that just needed a cleaning.

Will probably look forward fixing the K7VZM (labeled as M805LR by the way) just for fun. I replaced the blown FET but it's not giving any POST. Will have to replace the caps and see if I need to set jumpers based on CPU. The A7N8X-E runs pretty happy, just needs a new CMOS battery, and the MX440-8x had blown GSC caps replaced with blue MBZs to keep the color scheme
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                          I don't even know if you can avoid that with regular HDD use!

Unless you mean ones, like "CRC Error Rate", "End to End Error Rate",(or similar) the one for uncorrectable errors or the like...
                          Remapped sectors. I.e., data that exists (in some state) on the platter(s) that can no longer be overwritten via the electrical interface. As you have no idea when the sector was remapped, you have no idea what might be "lurking" there.

So, rather than leaving it potentially accessible to someone determined to go "data diving", physically destroy the medium.

(Our current favorite method is to place the drives on a firm fulcrum and then run over them with the forklift; snaps the drive assembly in half!)

SSDs are particularly susceptible to data diving -- especially those with huge overprovisioning!

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                            Remapped sectors. I.e., data that exists (in some state) on the platter(s) that can no longer be overwritten via the electrical interface. As you have no idea when the sector was remapped, you have no idea what might be "lurking" there.

So, rather than leaving it potentially accessible to someone determined to go "data diving", physically destroy the medium.

(Our current favorite method is to place the drives on a firm fulcrum and then run over them with the forklift; snaps the drive assembly in half!)
                            It's even easier to decimate a 2.5-inch spinner, LOL. Those are a joke. The platters shatter similar to safety glass, if not the same!

I might be able to snap a 2.5-inch'er with my hands!
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Today's curbside find was a Polaroid 32" TV. Plugged it in, and it lit up to say 'no signal' (nothing connected to it)....and that's as far as I got.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

what do you need? i never know whats coming in.
                                if i know i can holler if i get it.
                                i am loaded up on kt7 but i will eventually use em up.
                                old isa stuff is always useful to me.
                                esp baby at 386.

Comment

Hmmm... does finding good scores in your dreams count here?
                                  If so, I found a bunch of cool desktops and CRT monitors in my dream last night. LOL!

Never say never , lol , yep Momaka; .. Very sad for Hp once reputation !! . If Hp ever wanna redeem it , they must bring back Sockets for VGAs , and easily available VGAs of course , but what can i say .. I hear hp 'who cares' , lol ..
                                  Yeah, VGA sockets... that's not going to happen anymore - not with HP or anyone else. It's actually already hard to find modern laptops with CPU sockets as it is. Problem is that everyone wants a very thin laptop today, and sockets/connectors take space. So we are just going to see more and more SMD & BGA stuff until laptops are no different than tablets inside. It's sad, but that's the direction in which I see things going right now.

So yeah, it's good that you're still accepting those old laptops. Even if outdated, I still think they have more potential than any of the new stuff.

You know what is the saddest part ? .. I don't even test them anymore
                                  Ouch, that is sad.

I guess if I need parts for my Compaq v7000, I know who to ask. That reflowed GeForce 6150 chipset/IGP is still working somehow... though I will admit I haven't used it too much. This old Dell Latitude C600 (P3 700 MHz ) is indestructible!! CPU always runs at 70C by default, and the whole laptop bottom regularly gets burning-hot. But it still runs after 17 years! Dell just made some really quality stuff back then.

Lol, maybe you should put them up on eBay then? Last I checked, there were several listing for those dual-socket 462 boards all going for $100+ each. I don't know if they sell at that price, though.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                  ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe w/ Athlon XP 2500+ - had blown KZGs, replaced them with some Canicons that tested good temporarily - will track down some Rubycons to replace them.
                                  Can-I-Con
                                  I think your ESR meter got conned!

ECS K7VZM - had three bad caps and a dead FET near the SD RAM slots - came w/ Duron 700MHz and a heatsink that is more suited for a Socket 7 Pentium rather than a Duron.
                                  What is it with your luck getting old boards with blown FETs?
                                  Actually, that's probably a a result of someone using those cheapo L&C/Deer and Sun Pro PSUs prior to you getting the board.

Radeon 9200 128MB AGP

Radeon 9250SE 128MB AGP

GF MX440-8X 64MB AGP
                                  Good reliable hardware there, even if a bit too slow for most games. Probably best for setting up a LAN cafe exclusively for Counter-Strike 1.5/1.6 and a few other retro games from that time.

An interesting clone of a Deer PSU made by Sun Pro (yes, it's exactly the same layout) - uses a Weltrend PWM chip instead of Deer's chip-of-the-year.
                                  Probably

and the MX440-8x had blown GSC caps replaced with blue MBZs to keep the color scheme
                                  Ah, I was afraid I was the only one with a disorder to often try and keep cap colors matched. Guess not anymore.

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post

I seriously doubt anyone who has the expensive tools to do that would actually be stupid enough or bored enough to try and recover some unknown drive (provided you already did a LLF/zero fill) in hopes of "scoring big" with sensitive data.

So I think that's just a bit paranoid there.
                                  Then again, coming from you, maybe not.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 06-26-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Today's curbside find was a Polaroid 32" TV. Plugged it in, and it lit up to say 'no signal' (nothing connected to it)....and that's as far as I got.
                                    Sounds similar to something I would do, because of knowing that a product is cheapo, LOL.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Uhh, now I wished that I didn't return my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (IIRC) (also made in 2004, IIRC) and just waited longer for a video card better than my Tyan Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB, because in 2005, was when I got a 2003 Barton 3000+ AQZFA to drop in there, and 2.4 Ghz appears to be a walk in the park for that guy! I really doubt that I max'ed it out at 2.4 and 1.80V (Vcore) (it only has problems with high CPU temps at 2.4 and when Prime95'ing, or the like. It looked very possible to get 2.5, with bone chilling cold air on the CPU core!

45 F air or the like? (or air temp higher than 35-ish at 2.4, and higher than the 20s or maybe the low 30s at 2.5?)-> Probably no way, Jose!
                                      Probably get an error, if not a real deal PC crash!

I got my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (IIRC) in 2004, IIRC. The only problem I saw, was a 195 Mhz RAM wall, but my DDR1 SDRAM was rated at only PC2700, so I of course, was quick to think that the Kingston-with-Infineon-chips PC2700 DDR SDRAM limit was being exceeded. Just 1 more Mhz, then Memtest 86 would fail with at least 1 error during a 1 hour run and 10 errors at 200 Mhz, IIRC.
                                      (PC2700 DDR SDRAM overclock test I did in 2004, IIRC) (It was 512 MB, which was me being with the times in many folks' eyes.)

It certainly wasn't like 512 MB of RAM in the Vista-era!
                                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-26-2018, 08:12 PM.
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

What is it with your luck getting old boards with blown FETs?
                                        Actually, that's probably a a result of someone using those cheapo L&C/Deer and Sun Pro PSUs prior to you getting the board.
                                        Given the HSF had JNC written on it, I can only think it was a really bottom of the barrel JNC (Deer) PSU. It was near the RAM slots. I couldn't get it to work though - won't POST. Oh well, maybe I'll have a luck tracking down a K7S5A with badcaps and fix that

Good reliable hardware there, even if a bit too slow for most games. Probably best for setting up a LAN cafe exclusively for Counter-Strike 1.5/1.6 and a few other retro games from that time.
                                        Ahh, I now remember how my town had lots of internet cafe shops back in 2003-2005. I remember these were Athlon XPs. (I actually think I got one of these somewhere around 2012, long after they shut down)

Probably
                                        Not quite. Thick heatsinks (kinda like goodpsusearch's 300W Deer), EI-33 transformer, HEC primaries and the secondaries (along with 5vsb) were a usual trademark of Sun Pro - 12Kuang Jim (SC) caps, all bulged (and two JEE on the 5vSB). It's been recapped now with some 16v Rubies I had.

The only thing left now is replace the wiring on the secondary (it's really crap) but otherwise it looks okay.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Uhh, now I wished that I didn't return my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (IIRC) (also made in 2004, IIRC) and just waited longer for a video card better than my Tyan Radeon 9000 Pro 64 MB, because in 2005, was when I got a 2003 Barton 3000+ AQZFA to drop in there, and 2.4 Ghz appears to be a walk in the park for that guy! I really doubt that I max'ed it out at 2.4 and 1.80V (Vcore) (it only has problems with high CPU temps at 2.4 and when Prime95'ing, or the like. It looked very possible to get 2.5, with bone chilling cold air on the CPU core!
                                          Mine's paired with a Barton 2500+ OC'd to 3200+, along with a Palit Radeon 9550.

I got my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (IIRC) in 2004, IIRC. The only problem I saw, was a 195 Mhz RAM wall, but my DDR1 SDRAM was rated at only PC2700, so I of course, was quick to think that the Kingston-with-Infineon-chips PC2700 DDR SDRAM limit was being exceeded. Just 1 more Mhz, then Memtest 86 would fail with at least 1 error during a 1 hour run and 10 errors at 200 Mhz, IIRC.
                                          (PC2700 DDR SDRAM overclock test I did in 2004, IIRC) (It was 512 MB, which was me being with the times in many folks' eyes.)

It certainly wasn't like 512 MB of RAM in the Vista-era!
                                          I think I have a bunch of PC3200 Kingston sticks (Elpida chips tho) which never gave me problems.
                                          I used some 256MB sticks I had available on me for now though.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X