X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Identifying badcaps in a Xbox360

What model is the system? Age?

MCZ is typical in these nowadays.

HZ is also typical. HZ(M) is the proper marking and should be under the (-) negative stripe and above the H0732.

If yours has the yellow Fujitsu 820uf/4v, and you managed to damage them, you've really gone beyond the extreme in roasting. BBQ anyone?
    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
      What model is the system? Age?

MCZ is typical in these nowadays.

HZ is also typical. HZ(M) is the proper marking and should be under the (-) negative stripe and above the H0732.

If yours has the yellow Fujitsu 820uf/4v, and you managed to damage them, you've really gone beyond the extreme in roasting. BBQ anyone?
      It was manufactured in 2007. Its not the first gen model because it has HDMI, but its fairly old.

I don't have 820uF/4v caps, only nichicon and rubycon 820uF/6.3v. I only damaged the ones around the CPU (4 of them are buldged, another 4 have leaked and 4 of them have looked like it had a volcanic eruption). I had the heat gun on for 4-minutes, which seemed long but I blindly followed the YouTube guide anyway.

Normally I would just give up and buy a new Xbox, but I live in Australia where its a PAL region. I got my system from the states and have some games with it already. On the plus side it seems like a good learning experience.

Comment

OK. They changed the Fujitsu's for Rubycon's.

Heat gun method requires a ~carefully~ cut-out, 2 layer aluminum foil shield that blocks everything the chip(s). If you just blasted away without the shield, there's the problem. Same happens with the "oven-bake" method. Just put the new caps and you should be in good shape. Until it RRODs again...

Look into building the foil air tunnels that channel the fan draft over the GPU and CPU. Also consider investing (~$25) in the newer GPU heatpipe style cooler that places a second coil in front of the CPU cooler airflow. A fan upgrade to the Talismoon LED fans (just the regular ones, not the Turbo-switch style) is $20 well spent. A 60% increase in air volume without an increase in noise level (actually a 3dB decrease) is nice too.

There are loads of mods out there. Some make sense, some are a waste of time. YMMV

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

EDIT:

...foil shield that blocks everything but the chip(s).
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
            OK. They changed the Fujitsu's for Rubycon's.

Heat gun method requires a ~carefully~ cut-out, 2 layer aluminum foil shield that blocks everything the chip(s). If you just blasted away without the shield, there's the problem. Same happens with the "oven-bake" method. Just put the new caps and you should be in good shape. Until it RRODs again...

Look into building the foil air tunnels that channel the fan draft over the GPU and CPU. Also consider investing (~$25) in the newer GPU heatpipe style cooler that places a second coil in front of the CPU cooler airflow. A fan upgrade to the Talismoon LED fans (just the regular ones, not the Turbo-switch style) is $20 well spent. A 60% increase in air volume without an increase in noise level (actually a 3dB decrease) is nice too.

There are loads of mods out there. Some make sense, some are a waste of time. YMMV

Toast
            Thanks Toast

I'll look into the other mods, I have a Talismoon on its way and Ill try the aluminum shield duct.

When I heat gunned I did cover the caps with foil, although I just threw a sheet over it rather than securing it properly. I really rushed it because I wanted to get the thing fixed already.

Comment

I was looking to replace the yellow Fujitsus in my Xenon with equivalent Sanyo Oscons. Are the Fujitsus already Polymer eventhough they have a K-Vent?

Also, the 2700uf Rubycon MFZ... What would you guys recommend replaceing them with as this value is a little out of the ordinary.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Yes,they are. Fujitsu FP caps are now under Nichicon branding.

Nichicon HZ, Ruby MCZ, Nichicon HN.

Or, you go nuts and poly the entire board.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Good, so I don't have to worry about replacing those. They're all near the GPU which gets very hot. The Rubycon MFZ are 6.3v 2700uf. I can't find anything with that value that low ESR on Digikey.

Which polymer caps would you recommend?
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    Are the Fujitsus already Polymer even though they have a K-Vent?
                    Sorta.
                    They are "Functional Polymer" as opposed to "Solid Polymer".
                    They've pretty much kept what "Functional Polymer" is a secret [trade secret I guess] so the need for the vent unknown.

The early versions [made before 2003-ish - guessing] occasionally had problems where moisture from the air would slowly leak -in- and cause minor bloating but since then the seals have improved.
                    That may have been the only reason for the vent as the very new ones don't have vents anymore.
                    [I've replaced bloated ones on boards made in 2000-2001 and seen them on boards made from the late 90's thru 2001-2002 or so.]

There is no performance difference or known longevity difference between them and actual solid polymer anymore.

Just consider them the same as solid polymer.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...mZ8C%252bg8%3d

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Ah, these are Nichicon HZ... But do you know what polymer series would be a suitable replacement? Also how do HZ compare to UCC LXZ or LXY?

Comment

To compare caps look at ESR and Ripple
                          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...43c4079d93.pdf

ESR - Less is better [may say Impedance in data sheet vs ESR]
                          [ESR is *like* a caps resistance to Ripple. Since these caps job is to pipe Ripple to the ground plane less 'resistance' to Ripple is better.]

Ripple - More is better
                          [Ripple rating is *like* a caps watt rating. - Tells you how much ripple it can handle without overheating internally. - Kind of like a measure of how heavy duty it is.]

Look at data sheet for the 2700uF HZ:
                          ESR = 7 mOhm @100kHz [or 0.007 Ohm @ 100kHz]
                          Ripple = 3770 mAmp @ 100kHz
                          [This is a very high grade of low ESR cap.]

Now go look at ESR/Ripple for LXZ & LXY.
                          These are much lower grades but still good brand and low ESR.

~
                          Digikey has none for poly that size.
                          Mouser just crashed. Can't check there on poly.
                          If they have a 2700uF 6.3v poly you may have to give up your first born son or a body part to get some.
                          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-29-2010, 02:10 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Mouser is back. - All they have in poly @2700 is a 4v.
                            You would have to check actual voltage in all system conditions.
                            If it never goes over +4v [including Ripple] then the poly would work.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...nyKaom4Q%3d%3d

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Hmmm. Nichicon LG. Looks good. I would be comfortable replacing with 4v . Next time I open it up for the JTAG. I want to hack the NAND to modify the I2C default fan settings. Thanks.

Comment

You need to check the volts in the circuit.
                                Good chance it's a 5v circuit and that will toast a 4v cap in no time.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Ok, I will try and ask around on the xbox-scene forum. They've a hardware mod section but oddly enough, I've never seen anyone attempthing a poly mod. Especially on Falcons, they don't even have the Fujitsus around the GPU but Nichicon HN!!! (Yes I know HN is good after '05/'06)

Comment

Hey guys,

I just received my replacement caps from badcaps.

However they are significantly smaller in size to the original damaged caps.
                                    By significantly, I mean nearly half the size of the original ones.

The specs are same but is it suitable to replace the damaged capacitors?

Cheers

Comment

What did you order and what are you replacing?

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                        What did you order and what are you replacing?
                                        Hi mate,

I ordered the Rubycon MCZ series 820uF 6.3V.

They are to replace the current ones which are Rubycon MFZ and nichicon capacitors both 820uF and 6.3V. However the current ones are around 22-24mm in height and around 8mm in diameter.

The MCZ capacitors I recieved are only 12mm in height and the same diameter

Comment

The MFZ are 2700uf, this will not work. Also where did you get your Rubycon MCZ, not off eBay I hope. If you did, they're fake.

Comment

Working...
                                          X