• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba C870: After upgrading cpu the laptop shutdown

Hello

I have a Toshiba C870-148
    I upgraded the CPU from a Celeron B820 to a Core i5-2450M

The PC turned on and running, I tested the processor with CPU Stress. And after a few minutes the pc shutdown
    I followed the temperature with hWMonitor. After 90 ° C the pc goes out.

I tried to put 2 type of thermal paste. Chinese thermal paste and I was also tested with a brand Cooler Master brand that seems to me to be a quality dough given the less liquid texture than the Chinese.

With the Cooler master, I gained a few extra minutes the temperature evolves slower than the other dough.

I have always used Chinese thermal paste on several pc and never had any problems.
    I also change the fan always the same.

I always put a small ball of thermal paste in the center and I enclose the radiator.

After BIOS update , the laptop take more minutes and the temperature up to 94°C before shutdown.

Maybe the pc is not compatible or the thermal pastes are of poor quality?

Re: Toshiba C870: After upgrading cpu the laptop shutdown

This is a weird problem that I faced in an MSI laptop. The CPU gets hotter than expected so that the FAN cannot make it cool. But I do not know a proper solution.
    I guess the buck converter circuit is not powerful enough to drive the i5 CPU. check temperature on power Mosfets located near the CPU.
    how is the CPU temperature using the B820 CPU?
    how is the CPU temperature using another i3/i5 CPU?
    Last edited by caspian; 10-13-2019, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Both the Celeron and i5 have the same TDP and Core count. The i5 may draw a little more power bc of the higher clockspeed but I don't think it would be significantly more.
      The CPU itself is most likely shutting itself off. They usually do that at around 100 - 110C from my experience.

Try a little experience:
      Get a big desktop cooler and rig it to the laptop mainboard. Leave the fan connected to the mainboard to avoid different problems. Temps won't be a problem now and if it still shuts off it most likely is a problem with the buck converter as Caspian stated.
      You should be able to do that...

Comment

I am interested in finding a solution to this problem. In the MSI laptop that I had, the CPU was B820 and the buck converter could provide voltage to the CPU. and the CPU was not upgraded. But something was wrong in the buck converter or the CPU that made the CPU get hotter than expected.
        Last edited by caspian; 10-13-2019, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Did you checked PCH for cpu support?? Most of the laptops running a celeron will have SJTNV(HM70) as pch which doesnt support i3 or higher cpu. May not be the case here but just be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
            Did you checked PCH for cpu support?? Most of the laptops running a celeron will have SJTNV(HM70) as pch which doesnt support i3 or higher cpu. May not be the case here but just be sure.

That is correct. Intel has programmed the HM70 PCH to shutdown at 30 minute if an unsupported CPU is used

Comment

The CPU is not compatible

Comment

Working...
              X