"Good" universal remote ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Good" universal remote ?

Good day folks. Being what you'd call a "Tv repairman" and constantly trying to build and improve on my skills and shop, I realised it's high time I got myself a remote to both do away with the drawer of remotes I've acquired over time and to also help with those devices which don't come with one, so.....any suggestions for such thing ?

Ideally, I imagine something that has quick preset codes like "Samsung" "Philips" "LG" etc to allow me to switch between them, but also supports more obscure brands like Axen (off the top of my head...whatever ), Vortex and of course all Vestels in general. I found a Logitech Harmony 525 which APPEARS to do most of these things, but without trying it, I cannot guarantee it's worth the (reasonable) price I found it on an auction site...perhaps someone found something really cool which can be bought for pennies on the dollar on Ali or Banggood.

At one point I was thinking of making my own remote with like an arduino or a micro, but obtaining codes for it would come down to the mercy of the internet if I don't have the original remote What do you guys think ?
    Wattevah...

Re: "Good" universal remote ?

linux and LIRC is probably best.

Comment

Lirc is still at the whim of people uploading code tables if you don't have the original remote...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
        Ideally, I imagine something that has quick preset codes like "Samsung" "Philips" "LG" etc to allow me to switch between them, but also supports more obscure brands like Axen (off the top of my head...whatever ), Vortex and of course all Vestels in general. I found a Logitech Harmony 525 which APPEARS to do most of these things, but without trying it, I cannot guarantee it's worth the (reasonable) price I found it on an auction site...perhaps someone found something really cool which can be bought for pennies on the dollar on Ali or Banggood.
        I've rescued several Logitechs. While they more-or-less do the job, there's always some feature (of the controlled device) that they've omitted. Or, put in a stupid place (like one of the "soft buttons" that you've got to scroll to find on the display).

If you aren't working with a completely graphic/touchpanel interface, you're going to be stuck dealing with a fixed number of physical buttons (arranged in some particular way that may not be intuitive for the device in question) and the "overflow" handled by some "soft buttons".

At one point I was thinking of making my own remote with like an arduino or a micro, but obtaining codes for it would come down to the mercy of the internet if I don't have the original remote What do you guys think ?
        You can train a universal remote if you have one of the genuine articles that you are trying to emulate (e.g., to combine your pile of remotes into a unified one). If you don't want to write the software to do so, you can capture the pulse trains with a DSO and manually decode (encode) them.

The LIRC project tries to do this but the results are often dubious -- folks don't always post complete information or even ACCURATE information.

Bottom line: WITH a universal remote, you'll still have the same pile of remotes lying around to cover the cases that the universal one fails to!

Comment

So should I go for the Logi one after all ? All I want it to do really is OK MENU SOURCE and the arrow keys. I don't really care about stuff like teletext and smarthub buttons.

For instance, I just got a Toshiba TV and I can't upload the firmware via USB because I don't have a remote, despite it being Vestel, so I'm hoping the universal one I'm planning to get will cover Vestels as well...
          Wattevah...

Comment

i have a nice €2 chinese remote from ebay that does vestel's
            easy to spot, it's white & green with no "fast-text" coloured buttons.

Comment

I have one of those too left over from a Telefunken or something, but it doesn't work with ALL Vestels. Take this Toshiba for instance...
              Wattevah...

Comment

ah - a toshiba sticker.
                i have one of those tv's - a "dreambox" remote works on it.

Comment

Get Madeforyou remote controls. I have been using them for 3 years or more.

4 codes for each remote and you can program them using a pc. They are durable and cheap.

I also use some non branded remote controls usually for chinese sets that I cannot find anywhere, they can control tv,stb etc
                  Last edited by ducky29; 08-07-2018, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Where can you find them ? Couldn't find anything on Ali upon first search.

EDIT: looking around a local auction site, I found this big beast: the Marantz rc2000 mkII...looks pretty old stuff but has like 9 million buttons on it I'm a simple man: I see buttons, I click "buy" Ok, no, JK
                    Last edited by Dannyx; 08-07-2018, 05:44 AM.
                    Wattevah...

Comment

Acoustic Research made some. I have two of them. They are also learnable and have a database too. I think one model does 15 devices and the other 18. Models ARRX18G and ARRX15G

Comment

Where can you find them ? Couldn't find anything on Ali upon first search.

EDIT: looking around a local auction site, I found this big beast: the Marantz rc2000 mkII...looks pretty old stuff but has like 9 million buttons on it I'm a simple man: I see buttons, I click "buy" Ok, no, JK
                        They are not chinese. I buy locally and at a better price then found online. You can search on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...w=made+for+you

Are you planning on using them for your yourself or reselling em?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                          Acoustic Research made some. I have two of them. They are also learnable and have a database too. I think one model does 15 devices and the other 18. Models ARRX18G and ARRX15G
                          Where can I find their database, is it downloadable?

Comment

Originally posted by ducky29 View Post
                            Are you planning on using them for your yourself or reselling em?
                            They're for using in the shop like I said in my original post.
                            Wattevah...

Comment

Another promising one here
                              Wattevah...

Comment

sony? - runs away!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  sony? - runs away!
                                  Crap, eh ? I figured....moving on
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

So should I go for the Logi one after all ? All I want it to do really is OK MENU SOURCE and the arrow keys. I don't really care about stuff like teletext and smarthub buttons.
                                    Personally, I'd recommend against the Logitech devices. Too expensive, some require a "special" battery, all require an on-line service to program them and the overall "experience" is disappointing.

I have a few -- but only because they were rescues (i.e., freebies).

Comment

I too didn't like the idea of having to create ANOTHER account just to configure a bloody remote, but on the other hand I WAS going to let that slide if the results made up for it, but I doubt they would in the long run - I'd end up with another drawer, this time of programmable remotes, until I finally find something decent. Sure it would work with major brands, but it's the gimmicky ones I'm most interested in and I'm taking a bit of a gamble there...
                                      Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by ducky29 View Post
                                        Where can I find their database, is it downloadable?
                                        Yes it is, one also can add to it. It takes a special program and login to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                        X