Dimension 8400 with bad HN(M)'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension 8400 with bad HN(M)'s

Was a bit surprised at this one. Board is fairly recent.

P4 3.0ghz
    WD 160gb SATA HD
    PCIe video card of some type
    Originally shipped from Dell 8/9/2004

The Nichicon on the cap got blurred by the coil reflection.

All redone in panny FM's.

Original bad caps was a single 2200 6.3v and then (5) 1000uf 10v. I replaced the 1000 10v with 1200uf 10v because that was the closest thing I had in stock. PC runs great now
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Dimension 8400 with bad HN(M)'s

hn/hm are known bad caps.
    ala gx270 boards.
    100% fail rate in a year for several big customers.

Comment

I know there is supposed to be a date range from bad ones, but I toss out all of 'em, no matter what.

Comment

2004? That's not recent. In terms of computer stuff, that's "considered" old and I take advantage of that to get socket 478 boards and cpu rather cheaply so I can upgrade our shop's computers from ANCIENT PII/Celeron/PIII mix. My pc was Athlon 3000+ with A7N8X in 2004 and finally replaced with Asus P5K and E2200.

Toss boards with bad caps out? You mean swap the bad caps off with new caps?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I hear ya, wizard. But with PCI-express and SATA native on-board, it's "new" to me. I'm still running a socket A AthlonXP system for my primary. With good old AGP! And, the only way I have SATA primary HD and optical is because I bought a controller card for them.
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I'm still on Socket A also. MSI boards, 400 FSB, DDR-400, AGP8x.

This is changing, as I have an E8400, GA-P35-DS3, DDR2-800 on the bench right now. I'm tinkering with the ideal fan combination for the Scythe Zipang heat sink I got for this board.

It's about ready to install the OS. I have to build this machine offline, as it is replacing my primary workstation. I cannot have this machine down for a few days while I build the new one. Push/Pull arrangement.

As to the Nichicons... I recap them as a matter of course. Bye, bye. I've done a number of 8400s for my clients. Both dead and preparing to die.

Comment

I ran into the same exact situation with a Dell Precision 370 (which uses the same motherboard as the Dimension 8400) so they aren't immune to the dreaded HN(M)s either.

Comment

Just got another one of these in for recap.
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Whoops, I meant my P5K is my home main PC, and my work pc here is Dell Dimension 8300, yes HM cap in a row were burst. Replaced and tested with prime95 passed. Now running 2.8C.

Eventually replace that one as well. It's kind of "feeling sluggish".

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Hi dood. I have to recap an old Dell Dimension 8400 and would appreciate a cap list if possible. The computer is in service and I don't want to shut it down until I get the parts. Thanks for any help.
                    Why throw it away? I might need it in the next 40 years. Duh!

Comment

Originally posted by MrVik
                      Hi dood. I have to recap an old Dell Dimension 8400 and would appreciate a cap list if possible. The computer is in service and I don't want to shut it down until I get the parts. Thanks for any help.
                      It's recommended to stop using a PC with bad capacitors on the motherboard, otherwise there is a chance the problem can get much worse.
                      My gaming PC:
                      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

yeah. a board with bad caps can be fixed, a board burnt up because someone didn't replace the caps is a paperweight. and a potential fire hazard
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Board Rev Cap Mfg Series uF Volt ESR Dia Len Count

02U819 - Dimension 8400 A01 Nichicon VR 470 16.0 8.0 2
                          02U819 - Dimension 8400 A01 Fujitsu M Yellow-K 560 4.0 8.0 12.5 5
                          02U819 - Dimension 8400 A01 Rubycon MBZ 820 6.3 8.0 13.0 2
                          02U819 - Dimension 8400 A01 Rubycon ZL 1000 6.3 10.0 14.0 1
                          02U819 - Dimension 8400 A01 Nichicon HD 2200 16.0 12.5 25.0 2
                          02U819 - Dimension 8400 A01 Nichicon HM 3300 6.3 10.0 25.0 4

Comment

Thank you very much bgavin, this will save me a lot of trouble. I appreciate your help. The first cap in your list, Nichicon VR 470, what is the voltage or am I just missing something? Thanks again.

Comment

its 16...wait...

Comment

Oh, I think I get it now. I might be too old and slow for membership on this board. Guess the "yoke" is on me, ha, ha. Bye.

Comment

its ok. too bad this forum has no table function
                                  sigpic

Comment

My Dell Dim 8400 has a cap that looks simular to the one in the picture next to the coil. It has the same specs. Can you tell me were to get the same one. I have not seen any others that look like they are bulged.

Comment

brand?
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                        brand?
                                        It is a Nichicon 2200uf 6.3v and it says 22 Ho 422 on the side

Comment

Working...
                                        X