Whoops, need to recap an Asus GTX275

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoops, need to recap an Asus GTX275

So, I had a dead-ish Asus GTX275. Since I want to match it with its identical brother for some retro SLI fun, I decided to give it a baking and see if that gets it working again.
    Turns out the solid caps onboard were not appreciative of 220*C
    Yeah, I should have been not-lazy and desoldered them first but I was lazy

There's only 9 in total on the board with four visibly failed. I'm working under the assumption that they'll all be sick.

3x marked
    ECP11
    Stylised "C"270
    16V
    8mm x 12mm. Presumably +12v PCIe power input filters. I'm guessing 270uf and 16 volts.
    Assuming that's correct, would these be suitable replacements?
    https://au.element14.com/panasonic-e...16v/dp/2759055

and 6x marked (the four failed are in this bunch)
    FP
    97Qd
    8 2 1
    8mm x 10mm
    I'm guessing these are Nichicon FP-Caps, 820uf and 2.5v, responsible for filtering the VRM output.
    Replace with these?
    https://au.element14.com/nichicon/rl...-5v/dp/2841880

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Re: Whoops, need to recap an Asus GTX275

my input?
    you should reserve your oven for frozen pizza's!

Comment

Originally posted by Aetherone View Post
      3x marked
      ECP11
      Stylised "C"270
      16V
      these look like they could be chemicon psc polymers. is the writing on them light blue or cyan and does it have something like a crown logo on them which indicates the outline of chemicon's logo? i attached the datasheet so u can refer to the markings in the datasheet to properly identify the cap.
      would these be suitable replacements?
      https://au.element14.com/panasonic-e...16v/dp/2759055
      nope the size doesnt seem to be correct and at A$2+ a pop thats like daylight robbery! the one u linked appears to be 6.3x10mm from the datasheet.

try looking for the cheaper and proper alternatives from chemicon psc series or nichicon fpcap L8 or NU series or the proper series from oscon, the sepc series.
      and 6x marked (the four failed are in this bunch)
      FP
      97Qd
      8 2 1
      yes correct these are nichicon fpcap series polymers.
      yes works fine too and correct 8x8mm size which fits fine too.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
        nope the size doesnt seem to be correct
        Whoops, yeah good catch!
        and at A$2+ a pop thats like daylight robbery!
        For three of them, I'll be paying $15 postage to get from anywhere else so I'll wear it. Plus I've not found another supplier who has all the different caps I want (in the tiny quantities I want too!).
        Nichicon are only $0.50 each ... in lots of 500
        try looking for the cheaper and proper alternatives from chemicon psc series or nichicon fpcap L8 or NU series or the proper series from oscon, the sepc series.
        Then I'm hoping this is the right choice Panny OS-CON SEPC 270uf, 16v, 8mm x 12mm x 3.5mm leads. A bargain at $1.60 each!
        yes correct these are nichicon fpcap series polymers.
        Phew, thanks!
        I really appreciate your input on this. Will have to make sure I document the build thoroughly.

Comment

Bugger, despite a good baking and fresh load of caps the card's behavior has not changed. One to add to the e-waste pile methinks ... after I recover the only slightly used solid caps!

Comment

Bugger, despite a good baking and fresh load of caps the card's behavior has not changed. One to add to the e-waste pile methinks ... after I recover the only slightly used solid caps!
            Perhaps the GPU die didn't reach a high enough temperature to reflow. Or perhaps it's just dead indeed.

If you do pull the new caps out... why not bake the card again - it would be easier without them and this time you can bake it till it's well-done.

Then put a few caps back in again and try it. If it doesn't work, then it's toast for sure. But if it does... You already went a mile. Why not do the extra 10 yards / meters too?
            Last edited by momaka; 01-23-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

1.Take shroud out. Power up and see if your die gets hot.
              2. Measure coils on gpu. With or without. Some cards got on the back.
              GPU core got under 1v. 0.6-0.8v
              Memory coils got over 1v. 1.1-1.5v
              If you got those voltages and die gets hot then desolder every electro cap and oven it.

P.s. don't forget to trow a new bios flash before the bake to be 100%

Don't just Willy nilly trow it in the oven.
              Last edited by dj_ricoh; 01-26-2019, 01:15 AM.
              Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                Perhaps the GPU die didn't reach a high enough temperature to reflow.
                If it didn't the first time around, it sure did the second.
                Or perhaps it's just dead indeed.
                Same problem persists - no display and prevents a system POSTing correctly if its a primary card. If its a secondary the system will POST & load windows, but card comes up in GPUz as negotiating an 8x PCIe1 link instead of a 16x PCIe2.
                why not bake the card again
                Yep, did that. No change to the failure mode.
                Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                1.Take shroud out. Power up and see if your die gets hot.
                Not only does it get typically warm, it still has fan control. Just no display output and hangs POST.
                Originally posted by dj_ricoh View Post
                don't forget to trow a new bios flash before the bake to be 100%
                First thing I did before any baking was clone the BIOS from its functional twin brother.

Now I'm looking at it corpse and thinking about removing some of the PCIe filtering SMs to try and repair a first Gen TITAN that had one knocked off (so it only negs 8x now). They're teeny tiny. Might need to hold back on the coffee before I try that one!

Comment

Oh key then.
                  You need oscilloscope on the coils to see who is working.
                  If the GPU bga it's working then you will on coils the problem.

P.s. probe all the coils and tells us how much.

You need to have 2 type under 1v and over 1v
                  Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Yep, did that. No change to the failure mode.
                    Welp... one can never have enough scrap parts, so here goes one for that!
                    I save broken video cards of all sorts, because the parts have always come in handy: from MOSFETs and VRM controllers to heatsinks, fans, and even small SMD resistors and ceramic caps. Most of these have went to repair other video cards. Much of this is due to people not being careful with their cards. And since I buy almost exclusively used video cards (typically eBay), a lot of them have come in the past with knocked out components. Technically, I could have returned them... but that's usually more trouble and expenses than just warming up the soldering iron and fixing whatever needs fixing in 10-20 minutes.

Now I'm looking at it corpse and thinking about removing some of the PCIe filtering SMs to try and repair a first Gen TITAN that had one knocked off (so it only negs 8x now). They're teeny tiny. Might need to hold back on the coffee before I try that one!
                    Those small "sand grains" ceramic caps near the PCI-E connector are 100 nF. But I've tested up to 470 nF caps in those spots, and they work fine too.

Anyways, they are pretty easy to solder - probably my favorite when I get a "broken" video card. Even if the traces are knocked/ripped, it's not too hard to repair. Just use lots of flux and less solder... and preferably a tip with a sharp corner for your soldering iron.
                    Last edited by momaka; 01-28-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X