X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm - not good.

http://cyberwarzone.com/finfisher-du...rsky-included/

Re: hmmm - not good.

Not even Malwarebytes picked it up? That is indeed reason for worry.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

"wanted" to pick it up / reported finding it, you mean!!!

Comment

Is this a Windows-only (or Windows/Mac only) thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
          Not even Malwarebytes picked it up? That is indeed reason for worry.
          And what's really strange is that, of all Antivirus programs, McAfee picked it up
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

McAfee probably didnt get the bribe.
            that guy (John McAfee) has a history, he was prosecuted once to writing a virus to boost sales.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
              Is this a Windows-only (or Windows/Mac only) thing?
              the terrorists behind FinFisher have versions for every o.s. including mobile ones.

Comment

As it's been out over 3 years and is expensive, i'd like to think it wasn't picked up by many antivirus solutions.
                FinFisher is for Linux too.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  FinFisher is for Linux too.
                  Well, then.... let's hope that it doesn't become a big problem.

Comment

it cant get far in linux or osx without being given root access.

it's much harder to takeover a nix box because the security works very differently than windoze.
                    the same does not apply to fonez where the fone company / google are the root admin and you are just the user.
                    that's why you should always install a custom rom and lay off the app-store crap.

got an "eye-fone" - your fucked in that regard!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post

it's much harder to takeover a nix box because the security works very differently than windoze.
                      the same does not apply to fonez where the fone company / google are the root admin and you are just the user.
                      that's why you should always install a custom rom and lay off the app-store crap.

+1 to get the equivalent of root on windows its just one API call away.... with anything *nix it's a call to sudo, su, xdg-su, etc. and the rest would exceed the character limit of the forum.
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Two points:

1. what finfisher was made to do doesn't require root... as spying on a single user doesn't require or benifit from taking the system down. Ideally such would change as little as possible to avoid detection.

2. A lot of phones don't allow for custom roms like my POS Att galaxy S4. locked bootloader and it was made after the batch disabling loki came out. I didn't know at the time ATT locked all thier bootloaders... so I'm fucked for another year. Lucky to get root... and I couldn't even get safestrap to work (not that that compatible roms are any better, they still have touchwiz bullshit to pass the bootloader).
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          Two points:

1. what finfisher was made to do doesn't require root... as spying on a single user doesn't require or benifit from taking the system down. Ideally such would change as little as possible to avoid detection.

2. A lot of phones don't allow for custom roms like my POS Att galaxy S4. locked bootloader and it was made after the batch disabling loki came out. I didn't know at the time ATT locked all thier bootloaders... so I'm fucked for another year. Lucky to get root... and I couldn't even get safestrap to work (not that that compatible roms are any better, they still have touchwiz bullshit to pass the bootloader).
                          not sure what it would be spying on. all keyloggers (that i have found) crash X. clamAV is OSS, so yeah.....
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Screenshots perhaps?
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

a nix ap will need root access to get itself to reliably auto-start.
                              if it just attaches to a user proccess then it's dead after a reboot.
                              the only possible way around thatis to spoof itself as a screensaver - but i'm not even sure that would work because the screen savers are in the root path and the terror-ware could not insert or link itself to the path without being root.
                              it also cant hide - not that protesters,journalists etc know how to look for it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                Screenshots perhaps?
                                I would, but....
                                No seriously, where can I get a replacement print screen keycap for an IBM model m keyboard?
                                Attached Files

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

you could patent that and sell modded keyboards to the u.s. government.
                                  call it the anti-snowdon keyboard layout!

Comment

a nix ap will need root access to get itself to reliably auto-start.
                                    if it just attaches to a user proccess then it's dead after a reboot.
                                    the only possible way around thatis to spoof itself as a screensaver - but i'm not even sure that would work because the screen savers are in the root path and the terror-ware could not insert or link itself to the path without being root.
                                    it also cant hide - not that protesters,journalists etc know how to look for it anyway.
                                    Not really arguing with you here but for KDE, I know you used to be able to put a shell script in /home/username/.kde/Autostart and it'd auto start when you logged into KDE. I don't know if that still works. I run Gnome now. /home/username/.kde/Autostart would be owned by the user, not root, I'd like to think.
                                    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

kde autostart wont work with kde4, i know because i tried to use it once for a christmas screen decoration.
                                      it worked in kde3 though.

Comment

Interesting but that VT scan has not been updated for a couple of months.. needs to be re-scanned to see what's up now... but they have to re-upload the file I think
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X