Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS A7M266 Kills T-Bred B??

Originally posted by brethin View Post
    That board doesn't support Thoroughbred CPUs,.

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/.../HelpDesk_CPU/
    That is why he burned out the cpu in post #1 then.
    And the motherboard VRM is toast, post #6 proves it.
    Last edited by Sparkey55; 06-11-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
      Yep.

Comment

Asus changed the vrm design starting with PCB rev. 1.05 and above.
        You state that you have rev. 1.04
        That may be part of the problem.
        Do you have more information about that?

In post #1 did you update the bios BEFORE putting in the T-bred Athlon XP cpu?
        No, it was already on the Board.

I have read elsewhere that someone did that and the cpu fried because the vrm did not have the correct VID programmed into the bios
        That sounds like Bullshit to me.
        Because the Voltage is encoded on the CPU Package.

The old Athlon CPUs had On Chip Jumpers that were laser cut. You might remember the "Pencil trick" for Overclocking, don't you?
        So you have to override that.

And as I already stated, you can disable the Jumper Free thingy and set the Voltage manually.

Or in other words:
        Someone had to have another CPU in it and overridden the CPU VCore and the Board did not reset that when Changing the CPU...
        But even then, what are we talking about?! 2V or more???

Also inserting a cpu into a powered up board is a good way to destroy them both.
        What are you smoking to come up with such shit?!

No, its toast because I replaced the Caps and the CPU VRM didn't seem to like it somehow...
        Last edited by Stefan Payne; 06-12-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post

The old Athlon CPUs had On Chip Jumpers that were laser cut. You might remember the "Pencil trick" for Overclocking, don't you?

And as I already stated, you can disable the Jumper Free thingy and set the Voltage manually.

Or in other words:
          Someone had to have another CPU in it and overridden the CPU VCore and the Board did not reset that when Changing the CPU...

No, its toast because I replaced the Caps and the CPU VRM didn't seem to like it somehow...
          Your board doesnt support Thouroughbred CPUs, see post #19 and post #20. You can't mod it to do so either so give it up already.

Comment

Or in other words:

What is the exact model of Asus A7M266 motherboard? If it is not the A7M266-D then it is not supported for T-bred cpu's and you screwed it up.

See, this is why i do not try to help on here much anymore. Arrogant people ask for help then jump on the person trying to help them, thinking that they are a know-it-all. Fix it yourself.
            Last edited by Sparkey55; 06-13-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

You might remember the "Pencil trick" for Overclocking, don't you?
              That's for T-birds only! For post-T-bird, you have to use a conductive and adhesive liquid that dries, to fill in gaps, IIRC!
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-13-2018, 09:43 AM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                Your board doesnt support Thouroughbred CPUs, see post #19 and post #20. You can't mod it to do so either so give it up already.
                Yes, and?!
                My Compaq Desk Pro EN SFF didn't support coppermine, yet I've used that one with Coppermine for YEARS.
                That it isn't officially supported doesn't mean it doesn't work on those older Boards.
                Often it does, though with only 133MHz FSB.

What is the exact model of Asus A7M266 motherboard?
                Its as I stated earlier...
                Single Socket A7M266, not the Dual CPU one...

See, this is why i do not try to help on here much anymore. Arrogant people ask for help then jump on the person trying to help them, thinking that they are a know-it-all. Fix it yourself.
                Well, if you insult the person trying to fix it with some nonsense, well then yeah.

Because isn't supported does not mean that it doesn't work. It can just mean that the Board was EOL when the CPU was released and the manufacturer of the board didn't bother with it anymore.

I've given you an example with the Compaq Deskpro EN SFF but there are also other cases, where an unsupported CPU does work although it is not officially listed. Sometimes with some caviat like lower FSB and shit like that.

And even if it does not work, it shouldn't destroy anything.

So there has to be something wrong with the CPU VRM of this board...
                Last edited by Stefan Payne; 06-13-2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                  That's for T-birds only!
                  To be precise for the Ceramic Package.

For the Organic packages you need a bit more effort to unlock it, but its still possible...

Anyway, the CPU VCore is encoded on the Package with the on package Jumper Links that are Laser Cutted as needed.
                  like this

For post-T-bird, you have to use a conductive and adhesive liquid that dries, to fill in gaps, IIRC!
                  You remember correctly.
                  With the Organic package Athlon (XP), you have to insulate the hole the Laser makes because. And then reconnect the connections.
                  Last edited by Stefan Payne; 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

That's for T-birds only! For post-T-bird, you have to use a conductive and adhesive liquid that dries, to fill in gaps, IIRC!
                    Wait, IIRC, on post-T-bird, it's tricky! I thought I saw a folk post that you have to fill a void with non-conductive stuff, then put a conductive adhesive on top of that!
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Oh and another Thing that works but isn't supported:
                      Registred ECC RAM on AMD K8 based systems!
                      Especially with E-Step K8, you can put in the buffered RAM, if you happen to have an ASUS Board, and it works.
                      Possibly Gigabyte, but not all Boards (used it on an old PGA754 K8N and K8VT800)

I also tested it with an AM2 K8 and it also works. Sadly they deactivated Registred Support from Phenom upwards (tested it with a 955BE myself, same Board, same RAM as the AM2 CPU)...

Wait, IIRC, on post-T-bird, it's tricky! I thought I saw a folk post that you have to fill a void with non-conductive stuff, then put a conductive adhesive on top of that!
                      Yes, you have to fill the hole burned by the Laser with non conductive glue and then connect the two pins with something conductive.

Comment

I've personally never had and never seen a CPU burn out (or burn out the VRM) due to the board not supporting it. That is, as long as the CPU is socket and pin signal -compatible with the board, nothing should burn.

Most VRM controllers have only so many valid V_core voltage states, so at worst, the CPU will select an either an invalid (VRM controller shuts down) or an incompatible voltage (but nothing damaging to the CPU, as VRM controllers are regularly capped at a certain max voltage.) From my experiments, this has always just resulted in no POST, but nothing else. Perhaps for very very old boards (Pentium II or earlier??), this might not be true. But anything Athlon/Athlon XP and Pentium 4 is relatively new in terms of VRM design, and thus fairly protected.

As my most recent example, I put a s775 Pentium 4 CPU into a Intel mobo that only takes C2D/C2Q/PDC CPUs. Did this to test the VRM after a repair (it kept blowing FETs with known compatible CPUs, so I didn't want to risk burning my C2D chips anymore). The V_core with the Pentium 4 CPU was incorrect (1.1V instead of 1.4V), and as expected, the board did not post. But I left it running for a good 20 minutes to see if the VRM would blow a FET again. It didn't. Then I stuck a C2D chip and tested the board again. All was well afterwards. FETs kept blowing because one of the phase drivers was bad, which I changed before testing this last time before trying the P4 CPU.
                        Last edited by momaka; 06-17-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X