X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by jwillifixit View Post
    Why yes it is...
    Just couldn't quite tell, because I didn't see those usual heart-shaped with toothed-edge leaves. The weather suddenly got better, but during the late season! I was wondering if everything was going to have trouble growing...
    I thought I saw stunted corn earlier this year!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

and you often get cool micro-crt monitors in the viewfinder!!

Comment

that emerson reminded me .
        found a lau reversible box and a wood mathes cooler on the curb at the same spot a few weeks back.both are easily fixed.as a bonus a deluxe portacolor.the one with clock/timer.i have plenty of practice repairing them from back in their era.
        and just last week a pioneer sx-1250.
        its pretty dirty but it will clean up.
        Originally posted by jwillifixit View Post
        Here's another dose of my finds... There's a ton of stuff that I'm not showing mostly because I don't have pic's on this laptop (which I also pulled for free).

Comment

Originally posted by dragos2009 View Post
          try checking the headphone jack cause it seems to be fine when it is put on loud speaker
          I am pretty sure it's not the headphone jack.

To be more exact - it won't have any audio during calls regardless of what it's set on. Neither the earpiece or loudspeaker will produce any sound during a call.

They will however work OUTSIDE anything that uses SIM - by this I mean that Youtube or Messenger (or Skype, for example) WILL work fine and I can hear the person who calls me over WiFi or 4G. It's just the RIL feature that will not produce any sound.

Back to the thread, I got some more goodies today:

-WDC WD2500AAJB - this was an easy fix - PCB was simply wet and applying power resulted in the heads clicking as if it was dead. A few minutes later and a donor drive to take the protective foam from, and I got myself a 250GB IDE drive that shows up as OK!

-Sony Playstation 1 model SCPH-9002 - has an Hulk skin over it. It's not modded, but I can make a programmer and flash a PIC for it.

-PSone clear red controller - came with the mentioned PS1.

-SATA cable - needed one for a 250GB Seagate drive I plan to use.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
            and just last week a pioneer sx-1250.
            its pretty dirty but it will clean up.
            This was found this past April and is awaiting a good cleaning. It's working but seriously needs a wash!
            Attached Files

Comment

make lots of notes about how the tuner cord is routed & wrapped before you do anything else!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                -WDC WD2500AAJB - this was an easy fix - PCB was simply wet and applying power resulted in the heads clicking as if it was dead. A few minutes later and a donor drive to take the protective foam from, and I got myself a 250GB IDE drive that shows up as OK!
                My sister accidentally splashed some water near her laptop a few years back, and the HDD started doing the same thing. She thought she lost her data (though she does keep some backups). When I went to remove the HDD, I found that there was water on its PCB. Took the PCB off and wiped all moisture with a paper towel, then allowed the PCB to dry for a day under good sunlight. Before assembling it back together, I also cleaned the contacts for the headstack amps, as they looked awfully corroded (probably even prior to the water accident). After putting everything back together, I pressed the power button on the laptop and.... HDD worked fine. No bad sectors or anything else worrisome in SMART. Laptop worked fine for the next two years until the ATI Northbridge started giving trouble. Fixed that temporarily, and now the laptop is working again. Probably will die again due to the NB, I doubt the HDD will go bad.

So yeah, good save on your part too! Looks like the WD HDDs from that era are pretty decent, as are the lower-capacity Seagates.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                and you often get cool micro-crt monitors in the viewfinder!!
                I know! Isn't that so awesome?
                Imagine if LCDs didn't exist! I'd love to see what a modern phone would look like with a CRT monitor for the display.
                Probably wouldn't get very good battery life, though. (or the battery would be a brick).

Comment

there is an old tv series called "space 1999" by gerry anderson.
                  that guy was able to predict the future pretty well.

go check it out and see 2way communication with micro-crt's!!
                  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/148970700146762300/

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    My sister accidentally splashed some water near her laptop a few years back, and the HDD started doing the same thing. She thought she lost her data (though she does keep some backups). When I went to remove the HDD, I found that there was water on its PCB. Took the PCB off and wiped all moisture with a paper towel, then allowed the PCB to dry for a day under good sunlight. Before assembling it back together, I also cleaned the contacts for the headstack amps, as they looked awfully corroded (probably even prior to the water accident). After putting everything back together, I pressed the power button on the laptop and.... HDD worked fine. No bad sectors or anything else worrisome in SMART. Laptop worked fine for the next two years until the ATI Northbridge started giving trouble. Fixed that temporarily, and now the laptop is working again. Probably will die again due to the NB, I doubt the HDD will go bad.

So yeah, good save on your part too! Looks like the WD HDDs from that era are pretty decent, as are the lower-capacity Seagates.
                    Meh, mine was a quick fix - I just cleaned the with some rubbing alcohol (we call it spirit here - it's blue in color btw), used an eraser to clean the dirty contacts on the PCB (the ones responsible with the heads and such) and then assembled it back.

It's now running fine inside an LE Crystal Original Xbox, v1.4 which originally had a Seagate 160GB drive (out of an DVR) that I cloned onto the 250GB.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

That Marantz amp/receiver looks awesome (minus the dirt, grime, and dust, of course ). I have a tape deck from the same era, and I absolutely love the brushed Aluminum looks of these types of older audio gear. They are well built too. I got my tape deck on eBay for only $10. It needed a tiny bit of work to get it going, but was totally worth it (it's actually worth well over $100 in working condition). Works great now. I would have recapped it too, but unfortunately these older electronics don't have the convenience of connectors and wire harnesses like newer stuff does. In the case of my tape deck and I see also your receiver, they use wire-wrap techniques to interconnect the boards inside. So that would mean cutting all wires and then re-wiring it again - i.e. PITA. But if you do that, you could retrofit it with new connectors and wire harnesses. It will just be a lot of work.
                      Last edited by momaka; 10-25-2017, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I miss dumpster finds... This thread brings back the memories. Back when I was in college years and years ago, it was a ritual.

Now I live in the boonies and there's nothing good around here!

Comment

A couple weeks ago I found a Dell Optiplex 980 tower with a i3 550 3.2GHZ,it was outside a car junkyard just needed a hard drive and she ran good.
                          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

List of scores i got last month :
                            - Working Xbox 360 120GB - $7
                            - AMD Athlon X2 Toshiba laptop with 320GB / 3Gb DDr3 speaker faulty - $7
                            - Working Dell Precision T3400 (Q9550, 2 x Quadro Nvs290, 2Gb ECC ddr2, 160gb) -FREE!
                            - Dell Precision T7500 (Hexa Core Xeon X5660, 12Gb DDr3 ECC r-dimm, 2TB, Quadro 4000 2Gb Gddr5, 1.1Kw PSU) Video card faulty - $35
                            - Dell Inspiron N5030, presume HDD faulty for now (T4500 pentium, 320GB, 2GB DDr3) FREE!
                            - Dell XPS420 (Q6600, 4 x 2GB Kingston HyperX, Geforce 8800GTX 768MB) Works - $19
                            - 10 x pcs 500GB desktop HDD @ $2.4 each, most of it works
                            - LG 23" FHD monitor working, didn't came with the power adapter - $4.8

The price is converted to USD from country

Comment

Last day of boot sale today till next year, was a bit dead slim pickings at usual carboot sale.

Since I didn’t get owt I went to another one further out and got a good deal on a Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III 5.1 surround sound system.

He wanted £50 for it which was good, turned out was missing a speaker so only 4.1 so got tenner of so £40 in total.

Took down sellers number as he said the other speaker was at home and to give a ring in evening if he finds it and I can pick up.

Bit dirty, front plastic yellowed on sub and not tested yet.

Even if not working the speakers and cabling is worth more than I paid for it so pretty good.
                              Finished in white which seems to be a bit more sought after.

Aside from that got a motorised attachment foot thing for our cordless Dyson v6. Wasn’t sure if it was for our model but for 50p was worth risking it. It does fit and it does work so not a bad little score there too.
                              Last edited by mikay786; 10-29-2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                                Last day of boot sale today till next year, was a bit dead slim pickings at usual carboot sale.

Since I didn't get owt I went to another one further out and got a good deal on a Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III 5.1 surround sound system.

He wanted £50 for it which was good, turned out was missing a speaker so only 4.1 so got tenner of so £40 in total.

Took down sellers number as he said the other speaker was at home and to give a ring in evening if he finds it and I can pick up.

Bit dirty, front plastic yellowed on sub and not tested yet.

Even if not working the speakers and cabling is worth more than I paid for it so pretty good.
                                Finished in white which seems to be a bit more sought after.

Aside from that got a motorised attachment foot thing for our cordless Dyson v6. Wasn't sure if it was for our model but for 50p was worth risking it. It does fit and it does work so not a bad little score there too.
                                next year im going too start going too car boots again like you say you can get some really good bargains and can also make a bit of profit on resale of the odd items this year health issues has stopped me doing a lot of stuff even repairs but on the mend now and getting back into the electronics hobby.

Comment

Finally fixed my Galaxy S4 with another one that I bought today.

The donor S4 was a GT-i9506, so I got lucky and it's the 2.3GHz Snapdragon. Could have been even more luckier and get the GT-i9500 (it has an octa core CPU apparently) but the i9506 is enough. Swapped boards with my GT-i9505 that has a bad SIM reader, and it works, although it usually tends to suddenly turn off randomly when the battery is low (~9 to 14%) but I'm used to that from the old board. Had to use some tape to cover an side of the board that is different on the 9506's chassis.

By now I'm happy that it works, and that I can now make calls.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                    next year im going too start going too car boots again like you say you can get some really good bargains and can also make a bit of profit on resale of the odd items this year health issues has stopped me doing a lot of stuff even repairs but on the mend now and getting back into the electronics hobby.
                                    With carboots you have got enjoy doing that sort of stuff, for me it's more the adventure rather than just looking to make a profit. Like today there were about 20-30 of us early birders at 5:30am just stood in a field freezing our balls off without a seller in sight. Took about 40mins before sellers started setting up.

Left with basically nothing and had to go to a different one that opens at 8am but it's a lot further out.

Talking about repairs I don't even bother trying with most stuff as time spent trying to diognose then repair and costs involved isn't usually worth it. Unless it something glaringly obvious like bloated caps or burnt out resisters for the price your getting things at you can just sell for spares or repairs for usually more than you paid for it £2-3 items.

These speakers I got this morning were possibly my most expensive purchase and only did so as was last boot sale for a while.

Anyhow picked up 5th speaker, so now got the full 5.1 system. Just need to test it out, clean it up.

Comment

Goodie box of PSU's I bought for peanuts. Only bought for 3 of them (1x Antec HE650, HE550, and truepower650). The other 7 were 'powerman' 460W (IP-P460Q3-2). All are in working order....of course I'll recap them anyway, you know me!!

Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                      Team : 49813
                                      Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

My monthy rounds to local shops looking for junk yielded a couple more freebies.

1) Medion desktop PC. socket478 with a 256mb DIMM in it, geforce3 AGP GPU in it. System does not power up. PSU is good, so gonna be a fried motherboard.

2) sony vaio, another skt478, no RAM. PSU missing. Tested with one of mine and works.

Attached Files
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                        Team : 49813
                                        Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                          Goodie box of PSU's I bought for peanuts. Only bought for 3 of them (1x Antec HE650, HE550, and truepower650). The other 7 were 'powerman' 460W (IP-P460Q3-2). All are in working order....of course I'll recap them anyway, you know me!!
                                          Awesome PSU scores.

The Powerman PSUs are actually FSP / Fortron Source - good stuff.
                                          Yes, they will need a recap. Knowing FSP, they are probably full of cheapo Teapo and CrapXon.

1) Medion desktop PC. socket478 with a 256mb DIMM in it, geforce3 AGP GPU in it. System does not power up. PSU is good, so gonna be a fried motherboard.
                                          Medion? I wonder if that is the same brand that also has video cards under their name.

By the way, you should check the jumper settings on that motherboard. Someone could have installed a jumper on a fan connector and thus no power issue. Also could be a shorted MOSFET on the GPU causing that - though highly unlikely.

That said, definitely keep the GeForce 3 video card (or sell it) - the price for GeForce 3 and 4 series of video cards seems to have gone up a bit in the last few years. Not quite on the same level of Voodoo graphics cards, but still alright. Same with the high-end GeForce FX line (like FX5700, FX5800, and FX5900/FX5950).

2) sony vaio, another skt478, no RAM. PSU missing. Tested with one of mine and works.
                                          I like the "uni-shell" side panel on that case. And it's a cool silver case - a breath of fresh air from all of the black cases popular nowadays (I'm sure I've said this before, but I'll say it again - I'm so tired of black PC cases and black components.)

Comment

Working...
                                          X