Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo TX-NR414 doesn't switch on

Hello All,

I am trying to repair my defective OnkyoTX-NR414, which won't switch on. Pressing the On button doesn't do anything at all, device stays dead.

I didn't do any voltage measurements with the receiver connected to the mains yet, just started with resistance and diode tests using the service manual as reference.

I already found a few suspects. The PSU pcb contains 2 Sharp PC123 optocouplers, that appear to be malfunctioning. Measuring out of circuit with my Metex 3650 on diodetest, on both optocouplers the fototransistor shows 'open' in either direction. I expected at least one direction should show around 0.6V, just like a diode. Is the PC123 something special, that its fototransistor can't be tested this way?

Of course it's possible both optocouplers failed at the same time, but wouldn't that be too much of a coincidence? On both optocouplers the IR-diode measures OK, btw. If they both are defective, what could have caused it?

Besides that, relay 9001 (TYCO SDT-S-109LMR2) seems to fail. When measuring its coil in circuit on diodetest, one direction shows 'open' and the reverse direction around 0.6V. This voltage will probably be due to the 1N4148 connected to the coil. I will desolder the relay later on and repeat my measurements.

Has anybody already repaired an Onkyo TX-NR series with similar symptoms? The HDMI board has already been replaced (because of designflawed TI HDMI chip), so I would like to get this receiver working again.

I already read this thread:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63434

Transformer T9001 in my PSU is OK. I'll check the relay's impedance after desoldering and report my findings.

re-atari

Re: Onkyo TX-NR414 doesn't switch on

I have heard, that the PSU relay is a common issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
      I have heard, that the PSU relay is a common issue.
      After desoldering the relay and measuring the coil's resistance, it seems this is indeed the cause of the failure. I only get a value on the display when I put my meter on position 2M Ohm. The measured resistance then gradually and constantly increases in value. When swapping the probes, it measures an entirely different resistance, but it also gradually increases. When repeating the measurements, the new readings are nothing like the earlier measurements. I could not replicate my measurement readings, each time they differed from the earlier ones. Really weird.

Out of curiosity I removed the lid to check what's inside the relay. It just contains a coil and a make contact, there are no other components or anything. So it looks like the coil is indeed toast.

I don't understand why Onkyo drives a relay with a 9V coil with 12V (OK, through a 220 Ohm resistor, but still), it must be one of their best kept trade secrets. Strange decision, though, as Tyco has 12V types in this very series. I'm thinking of ordering a 12V type as a replacement, but sadly the entire series is no longer manufactured. Fat chance I'll have to resort to a equivalent type. And of course check that 12V beforehand.

On a German forum I later on found a post from 2016 in https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/410609 with more or less identical thoughts. In that thread it's claimed that malfunctioning of this particular relay is a common problem with many Onkyo TX-NR's. I dunno if that's true, if so, you'd expect to find more complaints about it on audio fora.

re-atari
      Last edited by re-atari; 10-02-2017, 04:11 PM.

Comment

It appears the relay was indeed the culprit. I ordered an identical one on AliExpres, cost incl. shipping approx. € 4,50. A little more than a week later the replacement was delivered to my door.

I measured the coil resistance to compare it with the old relay, turned out to be 330 Ohm (right on specs). So the coil in the old relay was definitely shot. Last night I soldered in the new relay, after switching the receiver on it immediately worked flawless, as if nothing had happened

Just to make sure I measured the coil voltage, that turned out to be approx. 7,75V. Not likely to have caused the coil to fail. Who knows, maybe the manufacturer just had a bad production run.

re-atari

Comment

Great that it worked.
          Once, I have found a sealed relay, that had the internal contacts all rusted. The receiver was only 1-2 years old(!!).

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
            Great that it worked.
            Once, I have found a sealed relay, that had the internal contacts all rusted. The receiver was only 1-2 years old(!!).
            The old relay has a snap-on lid, quite easy to remove. I opened it up just to see if anything was visually out of order. Nothing by the looks of it, so I presume there must be a short somewhere inside the coil. The wires are really thin. The resistance measurements on the coil I did earlier on gave some weird results. Should be around 330 Ohm, but started with something like 50k and rose constantly
            Oh well, an easy fix for little cash. If it fails again, I have a spare relay, along with the replacement I ordered a 12V type as well. Time will tell.

re-atari

Comment

Originally posted by re-atari View Post
              It appears the relay was indeed the culprit. I ordered an identical one on AliExpres, cost incl. shipping approx. € 4,50. A little more than a week later the replacement was delivered to my door.

I measured the coil resistance to compare it with the old relay, turned out to be 330 Ohm (right on specs). So the coil in the old relay was definitely shot. Last night I soldered in the new relay, after switching the receiver on it immediately worked flawless, as if nothing had happened

Just to make sure I measured the coil voltage, that turned out to be approx. 7,75V. Not likely to have caused the coil to fail. Who knows, maybe the manufacturer just had a bad production run.

re-atari
              Hey! I'm not sure to have the same problem like you but i think so. My Nr 838 have had some burned AMPs and now everything is fixed.
              But the Voltage at MPOWERD is to low and i thought this is the Relais 9001.
              My Relais has approx. 330 Ohms between the coils.
              Is that the problem?
              Regards, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mogli1476 View Post
                Hey! I'm not sure to have the same problem like you but i think so. My Nr 838 have had some burned AMPs and now everything is fixed.
                But the Voltage at MPOWERD is to low and i thought this is the Relais 9001.
                My Relais has approx. 330 Ohms between the coils.
                Is that the problem?
                Regards, Mike
                I'd check the specs of the relay in your amp to make sure the coil resistance is OK. If it's a 9V type the 330 Ohm you measured sounds right, so the error probably resides elsewhere. My TX-NR414 had a SDT-S-109LMR2.

The fault in my receiver was no response when pushing the standby switch. My repair showed it was just a bad relay, nothing else was damaged. Appears very different from the fault behavior you are dealing with.

The relay's datasheet says the operating coil voltage is 6,75V, where I measured 7,75V. Looks like Onkyo's design drives the relay out of spec, which might precisely be the reason why so many fail after a only few years.
                As I wrote a few posts earlier, it's very strange Onkyo uses a 9V relay at all, as Tyco has a 12V type in the very same series. I cannot imagine a price difference between the 2 when bought in the quantities Onkyo needs for manufacturing its receivers.

re-atari

Comment

I'd check the specs of the relay in your amp to make sure the coil resistance is OK. If it's a 9V type the 330 Ohm you measured sounds right, so the error probably resides elsewhere. My TX-NR414 had a SDT-S-109LMR2.

The fault in my receiver was no response when pushing the standby switch. My repair showed it was just a bad relay, nothing else was damaged. Appears very different from the fault behavior you are dealing with.

The relay's datasheet says the operating coil voltage is 6,75V, where I measured 7,75V. Looks like Onkyo's design drives the relay out of spec, which might precisely be the reason why so many fail after a only few years.
                  As I wrote a few posts earlier, it's very strange Onkyo uses a 9V relay at all, as Tyco has a 12V type in the very same series. I cannot imagine a price difference between the 2 when bought in the quantities Onkyo needs for manufacturing its receivers.

re-atari
                  Ok! Thanks ... I think this was not the problem. I changed the old Relais from my 609 with this one inside my 838 and measured 330ohms on the old one (838) and 550ohms (609). The Voltage is now changed from 8,7v to 9,2v but everything was working like before.
                  Otherwise MPOWERD has now 0,52V and that is the star for low input and that means Q7016 is working.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mogli1476 View Post
                    I changed the old Relais from my 609 with this one inside my 838 and measured 330ohms on the old one (838) and 550ohms (609). The Voltage is now changed from 8,7v to 9,2v but everything was working like before.
                    It looks like Onkyo didn't use identical relays in the 609 and 838. You can easily deduct the relay's coil voltage from it's typenr. My 414 has a SDT-S-109LMR2 built in, the '109' designation identifies it as a 9V type. Tyco (the manufacturer) also has '105' (5V) and '112' (12V) types in this series. Types designed for higher coil voltages typically have a higher coil resistance.

I searched online for the relay's datasheet when I fixed my 414, but (of course) cannot find it now. I think I just used the typenr. as my search phrase. I ordered my replacement relay on AliExpress, markings on the casing are completely identical with the failed one. It still works without any problem.

re-atari

Comment

I found a TX-NR414 from the dump, and it was totally dead. I then changed this relay to 12V one and everything works. There was snow all over the waste bins, but I dried it for two days. The remote control was lost somewhere in the snow, which models use the same?

Comment

My NR414 came with a remote with typenr. RC-834M. My SR803's remote (RC-620M) works on the NR414 as well, so chances are Onkyo remotes are largely interchangable.
                        You might also try to get hold of a Logitech Harmony programmable multifunction remote. An original remote will probably set you back the same amount of cash.

re-atari

Comment

There are clone remotes from China for under $10.00 or Genuine Onkyo for $50.00

Comment

Hello All,

I am trying to repair my defective OnkyoTX-NR414, which won't switch on. Pressing the On button doesn't do anything at all, device stays dead.

I didn't do any voltage measurements with the receiver connected to the mains yet, just started with resistance and diode tests using the service manual as reference.

I already found a few suspects. The PSU pcb contains 2 Sharp PC123 optocouplers, that appear to be malfunctioning. Measuring out of circuit with my Metex 3650 on diodetest, on both optocouplers the fototransistor shows 'open' in either direction. I expected at least one direction should show around 0.6V, just like a diode. Is the PC123 something special, that its fototransistor can't be tested this way?

Of course it's possible both optocouplers failed at the same time, but wouldn't that be too much of a coincidence? On both optocouplers the IR-diode measures OK, btw. If they both are defective, what could have caused it?

Besides that, relay 9001 (TYCO SDT-S-109LMR2) seems to fail. When measuring its coil in circuit on diodetest, one direction shows 'open' and the reverse direction around 0.6V. This voltage will probably be due to the 1N4148 connected to the coil. I will desolder the relay later on and repeat my measurements.

Has anybody already repaired an Onkyo TX-NR series with similar symptoms? The HDMI board has already been replaced (because of designflawed TI HDMI chip), so I would like to get this receiver working again.

I already read this thread:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63434

Transformer T9001 in my PSU is OK. I'll check the relay's impedance after desoldering and report my findings.

re-atari
                            WHere did you find thgis 1N4148? I can not see it in service manual?

Comment

Originally posted by Batista007 View Post
                              WHere did you find thgis 1N4148? I can not see it in service manual?
                              The service manual shows the diode on page 14 in the Power Supply PC Board diagram (U0080). It is D9011, part. nr. indicated as KDS4148U. D9011 is connected in parallel to relay RL9001's coil.

Comment

Working...
                              X