X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    Rather than suspecting, just use your multimeter to see which MOSFET shows a low resistance between Source and Drain (and possibly Gate - that's a definite indication of a bad FET) that has traces going to the 12V rail on the Molex connector.
    That MOSFET was actually next to the molex connector and on the 12v rail. I found the bad mosfets though, but I don't have that type of mosfet. (it's smaller than a normal MOSFET and has more legs).

That game's graphics are so basic that it can run on virtually almost anything with 3D acceleration. Don't get me wrong, though - I love that game (and still play it occasionally by myself and with my nephew. )

But I ran it on an 16 MB S3 Savage 4 video card some 15 years ago with a Pentium II 400 MHz, and even that was okay. (Just FYI, when I hear something has an S3 video card, I immediately shiver ). So the Rage card running that is not very surprising.

Now try NFS Underground.
    You'd probably get all kinds of "cool" dancing squares and rectangles.
    It's a game I can run on a Radeon 7000 Pro with minimum settings (but at least it runs without "dancing polygons" ). And a Radeon 7200? Pshhh - that's classes above the Rage
    Hey, it's better than nothing - a S3 Trio would likely choke on anything.

Although you're pretty much right, it's not really useful per se, other than for maybe testing older boards. (I have a Rage 128/Xpert 2000 for newer ones).

Speaking of which, is the Xpert2000 any better than the Rage 2C AGP? I got it from a dumpster found P4 (full with PSU and stuff, salvaged all of it except the case) but I never really got around doing anything with it.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't NFS UG the Geforce 2 - Geforce 4 territory by now? If so, I do have a GF2 MX400 and a GF4 MX440 8x around. (one with a cool gold PCB, just have to recap it (I ain't trusting STONE caps) and replace the heatsink with something better)
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

A dozen 450GB Cheetah 15K SAS drives.

(Well, I thought I had taken 12 of them home but I only found 8 when I got there; perhaps 4 slid under the seat in the car or are still "waiting for me" back at the shop -- I'll check next week)

All test good but I've yet to go poking around their SMART data. And, I'll have to see how warm they get (and how many BTUs they throw off as it might be welcomed at this time of year but surely won't come Summer!)

Looks like someone decided to discard a bunch of MD1000's and didn't bother to pull the drives, first (amazing what folks will throw away when they have huge budgets and higher-ups who are clueless as to what's involved with the "technology"!)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
        That MOSFET was actually next to the molex connector and on the 12v rail. I found the bad mosfets though, but I don't have that type of mosfet. (it's smaller than a normal MOSFET and has more legs).
        Doesn't matter. As long as it's a standard single or dual N-ch MOSFET, you can use one or two TO-252 MOSFETs in its place soldered with thick short wires to the correct pins.

Start a new thread and post pictures if you want help with that.

Hey, it's better than nothing - a S3 Trio would likely choke on anything.
        Between a S3 Trio and a Rage GPU, there's hardly that much of a difference (maybe back in the day there was). Both are only good for DOS graphics IMO or maybe Windows 95 at best.

Speaking of which, is the Xpert2000 any better than the Rage 2C AGP? I got it from a dumpster found P4 (full with PSU and stuff, salvaged all of it except the case) but I never really got around doing anything with it.
        No idea.
        This is the Wikipedia page:
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage
        Looks like the Xpert 2000 may be slightly better... but I doubt there is any difference really. Even a Radeon 7000 will blow both of these out of the water - and that's a video card that you can get dirt-cheap these days (if not free) and readily available too.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't NFS UG the Geforce 2 - Geforce 4 territory by now?
        NFS Underground (and possibly Undeground 2) is DirectX 8.1 -based, but is backwards-compatible with DirectX 8.0 and 7 as well.

Depending on what your video card is capable of, some graphics features may or may not work (I think "Crowds" is one of those graphics options that strictly requires a DX 8.1 video card.)

That said, I've ran Underground on a Radeon 7000, 7200, and a 9200. Between all of these, clearly the Radeon 7000 is the slowest and can barely keep up with the game (not to mention the game renders in DX 7, so you only get basic car geometry and no transperant windows or any special effects like that). The Radeon 7200 looks similar, but runs the game faster. And the Radeon 9200 can run the game with all options enabled, but being a low-end video card, it runs on par (in terms of FPS) with the 7200.

On the nVidia side of things, the GeForce FX5200 has very similar performance to the Radeon 9200, but only supports DX 8.0 (despite the card being marketed as capable of DX9). Thus, some graphics features don't work on the FX5200, IIRC. Since the FX5200 is based on the same core as the MX400/420/440/460 and MX4000, you can expect similar performance. Actually the MX400 and 4000 lines are DX7 -based, so expect similar performance to the Radeon 7200 - i.e. not very good.

If so, I do have a GF2 MX400 and a GF4 MX440 8x around. (one with a cool gold PCB...
        I have a Riva TNT like that. The gold PCB looks very cool indeed. But not much of a card other that that. Probably only good for a Windows 95 PC with a Pentium CPU.

Comment

Ebay score of a new in box Chenbro beige ATX case for $49 shipped. They have a bunch of them, but I only bought one just to see what the quality was like. On a scale of 10, its an 8. Excellent build quality, no sharp edges, not paper-thin steel....but it could have been a little thicker. Came with the topmotor 120mm fan and a 90mm in the front. Roomy case, and cheap. I'll probably grab a few more for future retro builds.

I'm working up a system to stick in this, a VP6 or another weird Tualatin board.
          Attached Files
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Ebay score of a new in box Chenbro beige ATX case for $49 shipped. They have a bunch of them, but I only bought one just to see what the quality was like. On a scale of 10, its an 8. Excellent build quality, no sharp edges, not paper-thin steel....but it could have been a little thicker. Came with the topmotor 120mm fan and a 90mm in the front. Roomy case, and cheap. I'll probably grab a few more for future retro builds.
            A beige case with 120 mm rear fan?
            Nice!!!
            What an awesome sleeper case.
            I imagine this is much better build than many of the modern $50 black "gamer" cases.

Comment

Doesn't matter. As long as it's a standard single or dual N-ch MOSFET, you can use one or two TO-252 MOSFETs in its place soldered with thick short wires to the correct pins.
              It's smaller than a normal MOSFET and has a lot more legs. (about 4-5 I think).

Between a S3 Trio and a Rage GPU, there's hardly that much of a difference (maybe back in the day there was). Both are only good for DOS graphics IMO or maybe Windows 95 at best.
              Yeah... I was pretty amazed to find one in a Duron 1300 machine. It was a 3D/2X AGP4x card. It died a quite sudden death and I couldn't identify the cause.

No idea.
              This is the Wikipedia page:
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage
              Looks like the Xpert 2000 may be slightly better... but I doubt there is any difference really. Even a Radeon 7000 will blow both of these out of the water - and that's a video card that you can get dirt-cheap these days (if not free) and readily available too.
              Heh, funny you say that, because I couldn't find any Radeon 7000 anymore in here. I did find a Radeon VE/7000 once but it got killed by a BIOS flash (it did initiate me into FX5200/5500 BIOS flashing though - I still remember buying a Palit FX5200 128MB card only to have it flashed with a Winfast A340 BIOS.)

However, most of the GPUs I've found vary somewhere between MX440 and FX5200, and rarely a Radeon 9550/9600 ever pops up.

NFS Underground (and possibly Undeground 2) is DirectX 8.1 -based, but is backwards-compatible with DirectX 8.0 and 7 as well.

Depending on what your video card is capable of, some graphics features may or may not work (I think "Crowds" is one of those graphics options that strictly requires a DX 8.1 video card.)

That said, I've ran Underground on a Radeon 7000, 7200, and a 9200. Between all of these, clearly the Radeon 7000 is the slowest and can barely keep up with the game (not to mention the game renders in DX 7, so you only get basic car geometry and no transperant windows or any special effects like that). The Radeon 7200 looks similar, but runs the game faster. And the Radeon 9200 can run the game with all options enabled, but being a low-end video card, it runs on par (in terms of FPS) with the 7200.

On the nVidia side of things, the GeForce FX5200 has very similar performance to the Radeon 9200, but only supports DX 8.0 (despite the card being marketed as capable of DX9). Thus, some graphics features don't work on the FX5200, IIRC. Since the FX5200 is based on the same core as the MX400/420/440/460 and MX4000, you can expect similar performance. Actually the MX400 and 4000 lines are DX7 -based, so expect similar performance to the Radeon 7200 - i.e. not very good.
              I do have a Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB found in that box. I might build a test rig with that card just to see if it can run NFS U1 and 2.

I have a Riva TNT like that. The gold PCB looks very cool indeed. But not much of a card other that that. Probably only good for a Windows 95 PC with a Pentium CPU.
              Mine seems to be a MX440 AGP8x that has the gold PCB. The MX400 is purple though.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

I imagine this is much better build than many of the modern $50 black "gamer" cases.
                There's no comparison. I have a couple of those 'gamer cases' around. Their quality makes Deer cases look high-end. This case isn't even on the same playing field with any of those. Much higher quality.....but beige....the gamer dorks don't want that!! ...but I'll take 'em! They're 'new old stock', they're dated 2001.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

the plastic rails and line of spare screws reminds me of something - compaq??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    the plastic rails and line of spare screws reminds me of something - compaq??
                    If they were blue, I'd say IBM...
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

If they were blue, I'd say IBM...
                      Being green I think it points to Dell, but I'm not really sure.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Since I can't edit the old post:

Bought a Epox EP-8RGM3I - nForce IGP. Came with an Athlon XP 2000+ that I replaced with a 2500+.

Interesting things I've noticed on it:

1. Two integrated VGA ports
                        2. Hardware monitor during POST
                        3. IGP has own VGA BIOS that shows up before POST.

Will recap it soon, as VRM high uses KZG and VRM low uses OST, along with most of the board. (except three Teapos scattered around the board - two for USB ports and one near the ATX and 12v P4 (yes, it has a 4-pin 12v plug) ports.

Paired with the golden-PCB MX440 I mentioned earlier (which I have to recap too - 5 Micon 1000uF 10v caps) it should make a nice Windows ME machine. ( I did work with ME and I personally found it as stable as 98SE was, although I didn't like the absence of real-mode DOS.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

You'd probably get all kinds of "cool" dancing squares
                          For me, my Radeon 9000 Pro did that as a warning sign in 3D Mark 2001 SE to back the fuck off on the GPU frequency!
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Forget about any games - that will only make you RAGE (and likely rage-quit ).
                            ROF LOL
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

... and another dozen 450G 15K SAS drives -- plus the 4 I overlooked last week. (wiping/testing/exercising a dozen a week seems to be a reasonable compromise in terms of time required as the box I'm using can only net ~100MB/s to the drive)

I'm going to dread shuffling the data around to get things where I want them.

Comment

Be careful of the unique disk rails and the "pegs" that hold the expansion cards in place. Neither is easy to replace if lost/broken!

(I discarded almost the same exact case a few weeks back when I broke one of those little pegs that would have held the video card in place -- too much of a hassle to kluge a replacement)

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                                  Be careful of the unique disk rails and the "pegs" that hold the expansion cards in place. Neither is easy to replace if lost/broken!

(I discarded almost the same exact case a few weeks back when I broke one of those little pegs that would have held the video card in place -- too much of a hassle to kluge a replacement)
                                  I didn't like that either. there are threads in the holes, so if broken, you can simply put a coarse screw in it.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

I didn't like that either. there are threads in the holes, so if broken, you can simply put a coarse screw in it.
                                    But you've got to get all the green plastic out of the way. Mine was one big piece of plastic (not a piece per slot).

I much prefer the little flip down locks that Dell (?) uses -- though they are also subject to breakage (so I routinely salvage any from scrapped cases)

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                                      But you've got to get all the green plastic out of the way.
                                      3 screws and its gone. If it were removed, it would pose no issues....no openings, no loose cards, no problems.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

That would be a good SM X_DAL workstation case. Toss in 4 Velociraptors with a good GPU and you have a killer sleeper rig.
                                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                          That would be a good SM X_DAL workstation case. Toss in 4 Velociraptors with a good GPU and you have a killer sleeper rig.
                                          Funny you mention that...the SM tree dropped 2 more x7dal's on me yesterday. I've got 4 of them now, I'm running out of systems to build out of them.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X