This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The ghetto mod thread

we know what it's for, question is why you didnt get one from china for under 2$??

radio-programming cable - kenwood compatable.

Comment

Mainly shipping time, and well, looks like RS232 versions can't be had that cheap...

Comment

i would pay 2$ just for the molded plug & cable.
        infact that reminds me, i need to get a spare mic/earpiece for the cable to make an FRN interface.

http://www.freeradionetwork.eu/

Comment

That Kenwood merged 3/32 1/8 plug is simply awful. Hate that "feature" to make things "easier" to connect...grr. Alas yes "after the fact" it is a one-plug deal to hook up the programming cable.

So it actually works for Kenwood too despite being for Baofeng? My TR-2500 is definitely not one of those programmable via serial but interesting that Baofeng even copied things down to this level...

Comment

kenwood first invented the 2.5mm+3.5mm combined plug,
            almost everybody else slowly started adopting it - other than the mofo's at Motorola who still want to invent a different cable for every model of radio!

Comment

Well they invented it for their speaker microphones and headsets, but did they first design the pinout for their serial programmable radios that's used on all these baofengs?

Yeah apple^H^H^H^H^H^H motorola needs to stop making different cables...
              Last edited by eccerr0r; 01-11-2019, 12:36 AM.

Comment

programming has always been through the audio pins - it may go back to the days of 8bit computers that loaded software through audo cables.

Comment

But with the exact same pinouts and levels?
                  The baofeng seems to use TTL (0V-referenced, positive going) compatible signals on the 3/32 and 1/8" plugs, which is not very robust for long distances, though the speed is fairly low...

BTW the pinout is weird - microphone Shield connector is the data in/receive TTL pin. The Ring connection of the speaker jack is the transmit...
                  Last edited by eccerr0r; 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

i know the pinout, i dont know why the "shield" is not earth but it could be because they consider the pair a single coonection - so it would be a waste to double it up.

Comment

Oh screw this. My Kenwood TR-2500 3/32" and 1/8" jacks are closer together than the Baofeng 3/32" and 1/8" jacks, so they are not physically compatible with each other though I think they're electrically compatible including PTT...

Comment

Winner!
                        https://forums.radioreference.com/th...-fails.381842/

Comment

Back to basics ( and of course it is a temporary fix.. "temporary" )
                          Attached Files

Comment

shame about the track damage.
                            why is there so much flux on the diodes??

Comment

Seal of approval

Kester "44" tends to leave a lot of flux around, but better plenty of flux than not enough flux...

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
                                Back to basics ( and of course it is a temporary fix.. "temporary" )
                                We need Electroboom here to say That's a FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER!

Regarding the temporary part... as my dad would say about a friend of his who borrow his car wrenches: Oh he didn't steal them from me. He just borrowed them "temporarily"... for almost 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  shame about the track damage.
                                  why is there so much flux on the diodes??
                                  The board is made out of cardboard... as soon as it smells a hot iron and the tracks start to run away.. no, realy.. cambridge audio - engineered in the UK, made in the PRC with the crappiest boards available! Even straight out from the factory, it had damaged tracks and solder blob bridges.
                                  And in addition, I had to remove/install several times the original bridge rectifier and even swap it with the other one ( next to my ghetto fix ), before being sure it had failed. The rectifier was not dead, but partially working.. it was outputting 100% of the negative rail and about 70% of the positive.
                                  About the flux - I just did not care to clean it.

Comment

cambridge audio
                                    says it all.
                                    i remember them - paxoline pcb's and probably built in a shed by housewives - forget china!!
                                    i worked for a very high-end company in the u.k. once,
                                    they had a u.k. pcb stuffing facility they actually refered to as the chicken coup!!!

Comment

But do you know what's the funny thing? They've put a big ass 1.4KW toroidal transformer which weights a ton! This is an expensive hardware part and most manufacturers tend to save money from it. Such transformers can be found only in the high end products of the other companies ( onkyo, denon, yamaha... ). I really do not see the logic here - "let's use a 100 buck power supply, but let's cut $10 from the boards.. yeah... great idea!"
                                      Oh, and another funny thing - the sucker sounds better than my high-end yamaha aventage... go figure

Comment

toroids are seen as a sign of quality - put a toroid in and show open-case photo's and audiophyles will pay more.

Comment

MSI MS-7778 “custom” APU heatsink

What do you do when you don't have the right parts (heatsink), but you are determined to finish the build?

Info: HP Jasmine/JasmineR (MSI MS-7778) socket FM2 motherboard with non-standard (for AMD) heatsink mounting. I think the mounting pattern on it is/might be LGA115x. I didn't have a spare heatsink with that mounting pattern, so I adapted my own.

What you are seeing is an all-aluminum OEM Intel CPU cooler for socket 775 with busted retention mechanism bolts (found it like that.) I adapted it to fit the motherboard by cutting two pieces of steel sheet and using them together with M3 screws from a PS3 to tie down the heatsink diagonally. I should have done it at all 4 corners of the heatsink, but I was lazy and in a hurry, so I only did two. Still, even this works quite well and the heatsink doesn't move. The FM2 APU under it – an A4-5300 – runs very cool: about 52°C max in a rather hot room temperature of ~28°C (~83°F). This, of course, is with my “special” fan mod, which is not pictured here (to be posted in another thread – possibly the “POST your system” thread.)
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X