This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Scored some stuff at the "new" goodwill outlet near me (actually bought a lot there, but none of it worthy of posting). This is where rejects from the other goodwill stores (USA thrift store chain) in the state go to be sold for dirt cheap, dumped in big carts that customers dig through (rotated out every 2 hours) They price stuff by the pound (currently $1.29), so I don't have exact prices paid.

Notable item: In box (possibly new) Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Pretty sure it was less than a pound, so that puts it around $1? I already have one (which is my house's router and AP, runs DDWRT like a dream)... they currently go on ebay for around $60-80 from what I'm seeing. Haven't tested it yet, but it's already spoken for... (tradebait).

I also almost bought a HP W2207 22" LCD, but at 19.6lbs ($25) the per-pound pricing makes it a loser (got nailed by that a couple trips ago on some old SFFs, both of which ended up being DOA). Feel bad that it probably got dumpstered, but short of shoehorning a 3rd LCD to my main setup (it's more or less a glossy-screened reskin of my HP L2245wg's), I had no use for it.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 02-16-2020, 10:59 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

if it's a heavy item, can you make an offer??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        if it's a heavy item, can you make an offer??
        Nope. No haggling, company policy.

I kinda wish they'd price such items like they do furniture (per piece in the corner of the store). I've skipped a lot of stuff due to the weight pricing (compressed air tanks, etc.). Or like with books (which are on a different pricing system). Maybe even a "large items: max pricing weight xxLbs" rule. But they have their reasons, the whole idea is to get stuff out the door quickly and cheaply (they even have floor scales at the cash registers calibrated to weigh entire carts of stuff).
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          I also almost bought a HP W2207 22" LCD, but at 19.6lbs ($25) the per-pound pricing makes it a loser (got nailed by that a couple trips ago on some old SFFs, both of which ended up being DOA). Feel bad that it probably got dumpstered, but short of shoehorning a 3rd LCD to my main setup (it's more or less a glossy-screened reskin of my HP L2245wg's), I had no use for it.
          Store it as a spare. I have a herd of 24 and 20 inch monitors (I think 10 of each?) that I fall back on whenever I need a display for a short-term project (wouldn't want to have to steal a display from a workstation). It seems like I've got them scattered in most available "corners" of the house!

They've also been handy when my other half had a display crap out WHILE she was doing something (so, needs a replacement before she can even "log out"!). Or, when friends/neighbors need to "borrow" one. I figure finding storage space is a lot easier than having to run out and *buy* something on the spur of the moment!

(besides, I don't like spending money! <grin>)

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
            Store it as a spare. I have a herd of 24 and 20 inch monitors (I think 10 of each?) that I fall back on whenever I need a display for a short-term project (wouldn't want to have to steal a display from a workstation). It seems like I've got them scattered in most available "corners" of the house!

They've also been handy when my other half had a display crap out WHILE she was doing something (so, needs a replacement before she can even "log out"!). Or, when friends/neighbors need to "borrow" one. I figure finding storage space is a lot easier than having to run out and *buy* something on the spur of the moment!

(besides, I don't like spending money! <grin>)
            I have about 3-5 LCDs spare already (widescreen 20"+), and more older units (5:4) at my parent's house.

If it was $10 or less then I'd be happy to nab it. But $25 for something I don't have a use or buyer/recipient for is too much. I'm not going to say money is tight, but I'm trying to cut down on my equipment hoarding...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Picked up a voodoo3 3500 for $25. Untested since the EVC cable was missing. Spotted a couple caps knocked off, so I'm assuming it doesn't work....but I have a working one here, so I can easily identify the missing caps and replace them...and after that, odds are it'll work.
              I finally took a gander. 4 caps missing, and 3 inductors. It's nice having a working one to compare to.... No trace damage. The caps will be no trouble, but finding the inductors might be more challenging....

Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I finally took a gander. 4 caps missing, and 3 inductors. It's nice having a working one to compare to.... No trace damage. The caps will be no trouble, but finding the inductors might be more challenging....

OMG Voodoo 3's i am getting a raging HARDON now.

Reminds me of 2009 when Obama's cash for clunkers plan went into action, he gave 3DFX owners $300 to trade in their Voodoo's for a ATI/NVIDIA card and because of that many voodoo cards were destroyed. Retailers were required as part of the program to cut caps and inductors to make sure the cards would never be used again but they never counted on someone skilled and talented like topcat to be able to fix it.
                Last edited by BigTroll; 02-18-2020, 06:53 PM.
                My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1582072711

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1582072711
                  Upon further inspection pre-surgery, I discovered a SMT cap was also missing next to one of the inductors. That brought the count to 5x caps missing and 3x coils missing. Sadly, it was just poor handling that caused all this. Sometimes I just want to smack people.

I found donors from a bad Dell motherboard and a bad Matrox video card. Surgery was successful, the card came back to life!! I'll make a little thread with pics later on.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

For $ 25 it is a very good price, even if these components are missing, 3DFX cards are highly sought after. I would love to have a voodoo 3.
                    I only have a Banshee 3dfx mounted on my 233 MHz Pentium MMX, that Banshee PCI card was given to me by a friend many years ago (2008) is my greatest treasure.
                    By the way, that motherboard of a packardbell I found in the trash, and this board is an Intel AN430TX, very difficult to find.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kevin!; 02-20-2020, 04:37 AM.
                    Gaming pc:
                    nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                    Workshop PC:
                    Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                    Server:

Comment

I know this is more dedicated to computers, but this vintage calculator also deserves to be published.
                      I found this VFD TRQ F-120 calculator manufactured in Spain, in a recycling center, it has a Texas Instruments TMS1273 chip.
                      I had to change all the wiring that connects the main board to the keyboard, and I had to change the AC cable that was cut.
                      When I hit the switch, and the screen turned on I was very happy, I wanted a calculator of this type.
                      Attached Files
                      Gaming pc:
                      Workshop PC:
                      Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                        For $ 25 it is a very good price, even if these components are missing, 3DFX cards are highly sought after. I would love to have a voodoo 3.
                        I only have a Banshee 3dfx mounted on my 233 MHz Pentium MMX, that Banshee PCI card was given to me by a friend many years ago (2008) is my greatest treasure.
                        By the way, that motherboard of a packardbell I found in the trash, and this board is an Intel AN430TX, very difficult to find.
                        nice card kevin, thats the same creative banshee I just got off ebay last month, really good card, I have mine paired with a pentium 200mmx. what is that racing game you have on your pictures? looks really fun.
                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                          nice card kevin, thats the same creative banshee I just got off ebay last month, really good card, I have mine paired with a pentium 200mmx. what is that racing game you have on your pictures? looks really fun.
                          The game is called dethkarz, this is one of the games that takes advantage of the glide API, and every time I play it, I am very surprised by the power of 3dfx.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krPoqljIjFc
                          I'm going to make some changes to the retro computer, probably get a computer with a tualeron (1.2 GHz), but unfortunately it doesn't have AGP, I plan to put the 3dfx banshee and leave the MMX pentium for older games using the motherboard's IGPU (it carries a ATI Rage 3D).
                          Last edited by kevin!; 02-20-2020, 12:37 PM.
                          Gaming pc:
                          Workshop PC:
                          Server:

Comment

HP Ultrium 448 LTO2 tape drive. I'll post photos when it arrives.
                            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Traded my Acer 7741Z for a white, full in box, Galaxy S5 SM-G900F.

Nice phone, makes for a quite good replacement for my broken S8. (LCD is kill)
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Scored some phones for parts and an actually working one for cheap.

-Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 (4G LTE + 2GB RAM) w/ smashed screen - $2
                                -Galaxy S3 GT-I9301 (Snapdragon 400 + 1.5GB RAM) w/ no screen - $2
                                -Galaxy S5 SM-G900F (same as my pristine white one) - $6
                                -PS2 SCPH-70004a Silver - $2

S5 was an absurdly easy fix - the screen was kind of a replacement, so the double sided adhesive wasn't applied correctly, and somehow, the main LCD cable came undone. A few minutes later I was factory resetting it and it works fine now. It has no back cover, though I think I have a gold cover from a fake G901F my dad used to have, so guess it's going to fit for now.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                  Scored some phones for parts and an actually working one for cheap.

-Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 (4G LTE + 2GB RAM) w/ smashed screen - $2
                                  -Galaxy S3 GT-I9301 (Snapdragon 400 + 1.5GB RAM) w/ no screen - $2
                                  -Galaxy S5 SM-G900F (same as my pristine white one) - $6
                                  -PS2 SCPH-70004a Silver - $2

S5 was an absurdly easy fix - the screen was kind of a replacement, so the double sided adhesive wasn't applied correctly, and somehow, the main LCD cable came undone. A few minutes later I was factory resetting it and it works fine now. It has no back cover, though I think I have a gold cover from a fake G901F my dad used to have, so guess it's going to fit for now.
                                  IIRC, unless otherwise, Galaxy S5s use OLED.

iPhones are the ones that usually use LCD.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

nice, now use Heimdel to put TWRP and 7.1 or higher custom firmware on them.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                      IIRC, unless otherwise, Galaxy S5s use OLED.

iPhones are the ones that usually use LCD.
                                      Well, it's still a LCD display (OLED tech tho) nevertheless.

I'm already in process of ordering a whole new glass + display though. It's WAY too risky to remove the panel and change the glass. With a glass+display combo, it's literally plug'n play. Just plug it in, secure it down with 3M tape, then it's done, looking brand new.

The one I'll get is black, gonna look into some part numbers to see if they fit my phone
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                        HP Ultrium 448 LTO2 tape drive. I'll post photos when it arrives.
                                        Take a peek at the number of hours on the head. And, be sure to run some real tests with it -- storing AND RETRIEVING data -- before putting your faith in it.

I recently discarded my last tape drive and a shelf full of NiB media in favor of treating disks as "data cartridges". Just one less type of peripheral to support...

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                                          Take a peek at the number of hours on the head. And, be sure to run some real tests with it -- storing AND RETRIEVING data -- before putting your faith in it.

I recently discarded my last tape drive and a shelf full of NiB media in favor of treating disks as "data cartridges". Just one less type of peripheral to support...
                                          Anymore, I just use external HDD's for data archiving. Tape drives were a cheaper alternative to mass data archiving back in the day when HDD space cost a premium. HDD's are so cheap now....and an external case for one doesn't cost much either.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X