Antec True330 P/S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec True330 P/S

Greetings! Another Antec bites the dust. PC started freezing up about a week ago and then finally a "pop" when plugging it in. I can see 2 fuhjyyu 1650uF 16V caps with bulged tops. Also 2 other caps have what looks like rust stains on their tops (A capxon 3300 uF and a [M] 680 uF). Is this P/S worth the expense to have it repaired? Other than the bad cap issue, this P/S looks to be very well constructed and it would give at least a few more years of good use in an Athlon XP system. It seems to be a crapshoot these days purchasing almost any P/S in general hence the question on repair vs replacement.

Re: Antec True330 P/S

You can repair the PS yourself if you short the prongs on the power cord with a 1-million-ohm resistor and then recap. This is done to discharge all caps so you don't get a nasty shock. Are the capxon and [M] (which is Panasonic) bulged or just have stains? if panasonic is bulged I would assume it's because of the other badcaps.
    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
      You can repair the PS yourself if you short the prongs on the power cord with a 1-million-ohm resistor and then recap. This is done to discharge all caps so you don't get a nasty shock.
      this will not discharge the caps at all.best defense is to measure the voltage at the main filter caps and discharge them if neeeded.

Comment

Huh? no wait, that was clearing CMOS. I am mixed up. Then how do you discharge caps?

Comment

You have a bridge rectifier btw the AC inlet and the HV lytics. Either discharge the caps directly if you have access to their terminals or indirectly at the bleeder resistors that are in parallel with the lytics (typically 22K-100K parts, one across each lytic).
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

If you leave it disconnected overnight, it should be safe. In all AT/ATX PSUs I've seen, the capacitors discharged in a couple of seconds.

Comment

Okay. Now i know and know that the 1megOhm trick is for CMOS and CMOS only.

Comment

You can repair the PS yourself if you short the prongs on the power cord with a 1-million-ohm resistor and then recap. This is done to discharge all caps so you don't get a nasty shock. Are the capxon and [M] (which is Panasonic) bulged or just have stains? if panasonic is bulged I would assume it's because of the other badcaps.
                Those 2 caps are just stained. Sounds like I would need to replace the 2 1650uF caps and probably 3 1000uF caps (also Fuhjyyu) then pray a lot hehe. Since the PS went "pop", could there be other parts that might have fried beside the caps?

Thanks for everyone's help on this problem!

Comment

Replace all Fuhjyyu and Capxon. Since the 1650uF parts are a rare value, replace with 1500@16. That's not much loss and you have a 20% tolerance anyway.

Comment

Replace all Fuhjyyu and Capxon. Since the 1650uF parts are a rare value, replace with 1500@16. That's not much loss and you have a 20% tolerance anyway.
                    Or use 1800uF@16V or 2200uF@16V if they'll fit. Digi-Key has both, in two different diameters.

Comment

I'll replace the bad c(r)aps as well as the questionable ones and hope for the best.

On the aside, this was my kid's pc. At 1st glance I figured he downloaded some trash of the internet, caught a virus or some adware etc..gave him hell and all that stuff parents do..hehe. In the end it wasn't an irresponsible kid on his pc but an irresponsible manufacturer shaving a few pennies off the most important part of someone's pc. It's 1 thing if just the ps goes bad but in some cases it takes a few other pcs of hardware with it like a hd that won't boot because the boot sector is corrupt etc etc. So much for ISO certification whatever that's worth.. sorry for the rant.

Comment

ISO 9000 means that you document what you do and do what you document. It doesn't guarantee that what you document is appropriate. Putting it another way, if your troubleshooting procedure is to sacrifice chickens and read the entrails, then you better specify what types of chickens to use, where to make the incision, and include a diagram of the entrails and what to look for.

Did I spoil your dinner?
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

iso9000 9001 etc is practically BS unless you get management actively involved. many just want the paper and therefore the procedures should be as minimal as possible to gain the certification because you will be audited to see if you are following the procedures.

i should know being certified as internal audtor

one of the items i agree with is checking to see what exactly the client wants and determining if you can fulfill it before accepting the job and checking if you fulfilled it in the end. this is lost in many businesses. it is important to define exactly what the client wants and checking off each item at the end. many businesses fall into their way of handling enquiries that they have learnt over the years

another important item is document revision control. are the personnel working on the correct latest revision of document. is information contained in the document for them to be informed about that.

it could have been great but i dont value suppliers highly with that certification. required for doing business with military though
                          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

another important item is document revision control.
                            Doc control folks need to practically be descendants of Attila the Hun to keep some engineers in line.
                            PeteS in CA

Comment

Hey Mustang, are you from ocforums.com? I've read about your antec psu caps blowing.. nice pics there..
                              days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Sorry for the late response yanz. That wasn't me. I guess there's a lot of mustangs in circulation

Can anyone post a link to a distributor's website? I still need to fix that PS. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
                                  Sorry for the late response yanz. That wasn't me. I guess there's a lot of mustangs in circulation

Can anyone post a link to a distributor's website? I still need to fix that PS. Thanks!
                                  Digikey: http://www.digikey.com
                                  Computek: http://www.computekinc.us

If you search the forums, there is a post with all the known-good suppliers, including Allied, Newark, etc., including overseas.

Comment

AKOR, Thanks for the info!

Comment

Still haven't been able to complete the repair, waiting on a back order from digikey. I did get the 1000 uf 10V Rubycon caps in from computekinc and while in the mood to solder, replaced the same on 2 other PS's(Allied and Aspire). Both of these supplies were loaded with capxon's, fuuyou's and g-luxons. I now notice the +5v in the bios is stable as a rock! Is it a safe assumption that the 10v caps are used in the 5v circuit? Also noticed the DVD drive now auto runs straight off without having to run the tray door a few times. I dunno if any of this is related to recapping BUT, I'm really happy with the results so far even if it may just be pure conjecture
                                      Last edited by willawake; 09-25-2005, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang
                                        Still haven't been able to complete the repair, waiting on a back order from digikey. I did get the 1000 uf 10V Rulycon caps in from computekinc and while in the mood to solder,
                                        i sure hope you didnt intentionally order RULYCON caps!

Comment

Working...
                                        X