X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio M65-C1 - no picture, help!

Hi,

This is my first post here...

Last night my TV broke. I was streaming a show and the TV froze. When I attempted to turn it off/and back on all I get is a black screen. The power led indicator goes on for about 20 seconds, then it blinks 15 times and the TV restarts... it does that again and then it powers down. I don't see anything at all on the screen, no logo or anything at all.

I tried the suggestions from the Vizio website including unplugging, holding the power button for 30 seconds and plugging back in. No differance.
    I unplugged overnight and no change.

So, I took it apart and so far I cannot see any obvious damage. I followed some advice from a YouTube video and measured the following voltages from the output pins on the power board:

CN9102
    Pin / Listed on Key / Actual when plugged in / Actual Powered on
    2 / +5V +3.5 / 0 / 5.12
    4 / +12V / 19.08 / 19.08
    6 / +12V / 19.08 / 19.08
    8 / +12V_A / 19.08 / 19.08
    10 / GND / 0 / 0
    12 / GND / 0 / 0
    14 / PS_ON / 0 / .006
    16 / DIM / 0 / .009

CM9101
    1 / +5V +3.5 / .001 / 5.118
    3 / +12V / 19.08 / 19.06
    5 / +12V / 19.08 / 19.06
    7 / +12V_A / 19.08 / 19.08
    9 / GND / 0 / .002
    11 / GND / 0 / .002
    13 / 3D / .001 / 0
    15 ON-OFF / .001 / .157

CM9203
    2 / DIM / 0 / 3.32
    4 / +12V / 19.08 / 19.08
    6 / GND / 0 / .005
    8 / GND / 0 / .005
    10 / +24V / .001 / 24.65
    12 / +24V / .001 / 24.54
    14 / +24V / .001 / 24.53

CM9201
    1 / ON-OFF / 0 / .03
    3 / 3D / 0 / 0
    5 / GND / 0 / 0
    7 / GND / 0 / 0
    9 / GND / 0 / .002
    11 / +24V / .001 / 24.52
    13 / +24V / .001 / 24.52

As far as I can tell these voltages look ok. Are they?

The only other thing I noticed is when I tested the long transistors (I think they are called that?) for continuity there was only one that beeped... it is in the picture: FB9202

If there are any suggestions for further troubleshooting I would really like to save this TV... I don't have the money to buy a new one right now... thanks for your help!
    Attached Files

Re: Vizio M65-C1 - no picture, help!

Looks like a couple screws that hold down and ground the powerboard are missing, could try replacing those, also PS_ON looks too low which doesn't seem right because you have the 12 v which is 19 on this one.
    Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-15-2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

I took those screws out to take the board out and look at the bottom and was lazy and only put two back in so it would be grounded when I tested further....
      Does the PS_ON reading give any clues of what to look for next?

Comment

Do you have about 380 ~ 400 Vdc on the main filter caps (3 black caps laying on the side) when measure right between the two legs of the cap when TV is turned on.
        Are you 100% sure the PS-ON only showing 14 / PS_ON / 0 / .006?
        The switched +24VDC is working and it will NOT be coming on if the PS-ON is only 0.006V.
        15 ON-OFF / .001 / .157, no BL-ON either, may be you should recheck this one also.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks budm,
          I rechecked the PS-ON and I did make a mistake. It is reading 3.68 with the power on
          Pin 15 is reading .149 with the power on, so it is close to what I got the first time (not quite sure why there would be a slight difference...).
          The 3 black caps read 19.09 DC volts -- is that what you are asking or did I set my meter to the wrong setting?

Comment

Could be that the BL_ON signal is not being sent from mainbord.

Comment

ON/OFF is the backlight on signal. m series has bga iisues. try heating the main board with a hair dryer and see if it turns on

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
                ON/OFF is the backlight on signal. m series has bga iisues. try heating the main board with a hair dryer and see if it turns on
                YES I know it's .157 TOO LOW.

Comment

Where specifically should I point the hair dryer? I'm not familiar with the names of the boards...
                  Attached Files

Comment

The main board on the right where the Video/Audio connectors are.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks...
                      Should I heat it from the top or bottom? I just took out the screws that hold it on and the back is covered with some sort of residue. Does it look normal?
                      Attached Files

Comment

After doing some research on "re-flowing" I have some questions before I attempt this...
                        first, it seems like a heat gun is recommended instead of a hair dryer, right?
                        also, I need to remove the heat-sink and aim the heat right at the chip, right?
                        besides that, I am wondering if that residue in the picture on my last post is just excess flux, or something to be worried about that could be contributing to my problem? Thanks!

Comment

Hair dryer is a test to confirm you have failure in the BGA solder balls on the processor. Heating it up may expand the joints to make contact for the tv to power up. Proper repair is to have the processor reballed. I've only baked boards twice and the problem came back after a couple of weeks (PS3 and a laptop motherboard).

Comment

I heated up the main board with a hair dryer and powered it on. No change at all.
                            I also cleaned up the residue I had mentioned with some isopropyl alcohol. No change at all (except it is cleaner)...

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Comment

Well your main board isn't generating the ON/OFF signal required to turn on the backlights. You will need to get it repaired or replace it.

Comment

Should be a white sticker on top of mainboard the one with video/audio connectors, what is the top set of letter and numbers? it's about 15 digits long.

Comment

So, I am looking for this main board and it may not be easy to find. I don't feel like my TV is that old, but maybe it is -- at least for sourcing parts.... any suggestions on where to find parts? I have looked at ShopJimmy, eBay, others that turned up in the Google search.... everyone is out of stock

Anybody here have one of these?
                                  I am also open to repair shop suggestions where I could bring or send the board in for repair...

The board number is: 715G7288-M02-000-005T
                                  The white sticker says: GXFCB0TK0009020X V1.0.6 1537
                                  The serial number on my M65-C1 TV is: LTCASNAR3151318

Thanks!

Comment

My guess is that the "12v" isn't 12v for a reason... possibly because where it goes is basically "broken" meaning it is leaving the voltage supply "unloaded"... you might try tracing that connection from the power board to where it goes and see what's up.

Comment

See if that's a match, best way is to call or email and give them your numbers, note it says if you are not certified there is no cash refunds: https://www.tvpartsguy.com/vizio-m65...56txfcb0qk027/

Comment

Some of the vizios are labeled wrong the 12 volt is normal at 19, hence my reply in post #2.
                                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X