Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2407WFPb Monitor - Bad Cap

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
    Yeah, and when the ripple burns out the GPU, we'll see then won't we...
    I did say monitor, and we ARE in the monitor forum
    I WOULD be more picky on a motherboard or more critical device.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

He's talking about the POWER SUPPLY board, which jetadm123 suggested he recap, along with the 3 caps on the inverter board.

As has been seen, if those 3 caps fail, they take out the paired MOSFETs, which are nigh impossible to find in originals.
      veritas odium parit

Comment

So the capacitor arrived and its a snap-in. In other words, It's worthless to me. The only non-snap-in cap that fits my specs on digikey is out of stock and with a minimum qty of 250. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by thewzard View Post
          So the capacitor arrived and its a snap-in. In other words, It's worthless to me. The only non-snap-in cap that fits my specs on digikey is out of stock and with a minimum qty of 250. Any suggestions?
          are we talking ONE cap was wrong (snap in)? what are the specs m8? I will look it up for you.... maybe I even have one.

Comment

I found a reference on mouser electronics in another post and I found these two caps:

Nichicon - UPZ2W121MHD
            http://******/lYYf4s

Nichicon - UPT2W121MRD
            http://******/mo5dQ8

I ordered one of each even though one of them is on backorder until the armageddon...

Comment

Dude BlkSmth I just saw your post...two second too late.

The specs are 450V 120uF:

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Dude BlkSmth I just saw your post...two second too late.

The specs are 450V 120uF:

Any help is appreciated.
                too late? you found one? let me verify that 18x40mm? or 18x45mm?

I've only got one 18x42 450v 100uf laying around that I replaced thinking it might be bad when I was greener :P It wasnt....
                Last edited by BlkSmth; 06-12-2011, 09:14 AM.

Comment

According to post #7 & #10 if that is close to your board you can replace with larger if needed...not just by size in spec. Capacitors like that are +/-20% so ie: 120+ 20% or -20% shhould try to stay the same... but also voltage can be increased if needed, its just what the object can handle. so you could use:

most of these:

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compon...+120uf&FS=True

Comment

I told you how to do this back in post #13.

You'll have to call Mouser to cancel. Replying to their emails is useless.

Last edited by Toasty; 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM.
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Off topic question: I need a tool to help remove some silicon from the board. I can always use a screwdriver but is there a tool that was designed specifically for this purpose? I would rather not risk scratching the surface of the IC board.

Comment

The silocon holding the cap down? I used another flat tipped solder iron...it flows like hot glue for me usually

Comment

Toasty: You want me to use the old leads? Just solder those onto the snap-in cap and then solder to the power board?

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                            I told you how to do this back in post #13.

Elite's PW series shows this cap as 740mA of ripple. Any cap you choose should meet or exceed that spec.

Nichicon is out of stock.

2nd Panasonic is below ripple spec.

The winner is the 1st Panasonic at 1.02A ripple (1020mA)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11670-ND
                            looks like a nice choice to me....

Comment

Off topic question: I need a tool to help remove some silicon from the board. I can always use a screwdriver but is there a tool that was designed specifically for this purpose? I would rather not risk scratching the surface of the IC board.
                              I also answered this before in post #18.
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

Toasty: You want me to use the old leads? Just solder those onto the snap-in cap and then solder to the power board?
                                No. Read #13 again.

Cut the old cap off close to it's body and solder new one right to the 2 leads now sticking out of board. If the old leads are not long enough, you'll need to get new wire that will reach.
                                Last edited by Toasty; 06-12-2011, 09:41 AM.
                                veritas odium parit

Comment

Toasty: I'm sorry, I misread post #13. Instead, I cut the leads as close to the board as possible. So, now that I have managed to mess that up, where do I find this wire that you are talking about?

To be honest, I don't know how comfortable I feel with using a snap-in capacitor for this job. I would rather use the "correct" capacitor with the long leads but whatever. Maybe thats just because I'm a crazy (OCD) fool.

Also, about post #18:

1) I don't own any plastic tools and I've never had to purchase one. I tried home depot, lowes, and radio shack but I couldnt find a tool that fit my criteria (plastic, easy to maneuver around a circuit board, and sharp enough to remove the silicon). I tried googling for it but came up empty as well.

2) This stuff is really on there. When trying to remove the capacitor from the silicon I was pulling so hard that finally I had to stop. I was nervous, thinking I would end up breaking something. I decided to use a dull knife instead to finally pry it away from the silicon. I slowly removed/scraped the silicon off until it was finally ready to be removed.

That being said, do you have a specific tool in mind that I could buy or know of a store that I could go to find one? I definately don't want to use a knife (dull or otherwise) on the circuit board.

Comment

BlkSmth: Thats the capacitor I ended up buying. Its a snap-in, the leads aren't long enough to reach the holes.

Comment

Plastic knives, forks, spoons. Chop off the handle and sharpen it/refine it to make it do what you need. Find a sturdy one whose handle doesn't bend.

If it's actually a (hot) glue, then like BlkSmth said you can use the soldering iron to melt it.

Small spool of #18 or #20 solid wire (bare or enameled) can be had from Radio Shack. Or, I can mail you a piece. With the enameled type you need to scrape off the enamel (knife, sandpaper) to expose the metal. Piece of cake.
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

Toasty: I tried everything that you suggested. I soldered the "wire" to the capacitor and then soldered the wire to the power board and nothing. I still get no power. Now, I'm not sure if my wire was enameled or not. I stripped the plastic from the wire and used the exposed copper by itself. I did not sand the wire down at all. But then again I could not find the word enameled anywhere on the packaging.

I realized yesterday that soldering is not as easy as I thought it would be. I definately suck at soldering. I think in part its because my hands shake too much and in part because I don't have a proper soldering technique. I had more trouble desoldering than anything else but still I was disappointed in my performance.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the other capacitor to get in before I can make a definative statement on whether I can fix this or not.

P.S. Where can I find Silicon for use in this type of application? My capacitor is just dangling for now.

Comment

>>I still get no power.<<

Did you check the fuse for continuity? What voltage are you getting across the cap?

>>Where can I find Silicon for use in this type of application?<<

Any decent brand of -silicone- caulk/adhesive will do. Local hardware store "brand" in the squeeze tube. Color is your choice.
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X