• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decon garbage

Repairing Behringer EUROLIVE B1500D-PRO

They used the crappiest caps ever...decon and ksd
    Attached Files

Re: Decon garbage

85' caps in a switching supply - insane.

Comment

they are what puts food on the table for techs.

Comment

Nasty Ive seen a fair few of these fail, also can you upload pic after recap ?
        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

decon=rat poison

Comment

Ah--But!

What you gotta consider is--Just How many Hours/Years on this thing? Modern electronics place MUCH more strain on its components than any stuff made say even only 30 years ago.

If say only 1-2 years life,--Thats unacceptable.

If however its say 6 years, Or More--What you griping about? Change the buggers, charge your repair fees and move on!

6-8 years may well be 10-20,000 hours use. Not even the best consumer (Note--NOT Professional or aerospace) grade caps are rated for 20,000 hours, Best you'll get in consumer grade crap is 10K!

You wanna spend $30 or much more bucks Per Cap for Military/Aerospace?--Nah, Didn't think so, and consumers wont either, especially as the item is designed-life anyway and will soon be superseded/made obsolete, by summit much better and prolly cheaper!
            TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
            http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
            PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

Those endurance tests rate (and test) the caps at their maximum temperature (105°C), maximum voltage, and maximum ripple current, for thousands of hours, continuously (24/7), from the date the caps are manufactured. Theoretically, at lower temperatures and lower ripple currents, you should be able to extend the life of the cap considerably, but those continuous endurance tests don't take into account the unwanted chemical reactions and processes that take place during non-powered storage (although heat does expedite chemical reactions). The shelf life test has often been much shorter than the load life test (500 to 1000 hours continously at the rated temperature - that's anywhere from over 2 weeks to over a month).

Using 85°C GP capacitors on the output of a SMPS is indeed a gross misapplication, but I'm pretty sure the fact that they are Decon made their failure all the more a likelihood.
              Last edited by Wester547; 12-05-2016, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
                Nasty Ive seen a fair few of these fail, also can you upload pic after recap ?
                I'm sorry I deleted the pics but its the 8 caps in this picture.
                I had nippon and elna on hand

4-470uf 25v and 4-470uf 35v
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Cartel; 12-12-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartel View Post
                  Repairing Behringer EUROLIVE B1500D-PRO

They used the crappiest caps ever...decon and ksd
                  Yup, Behringer loves to use Decon caps. But you got extra-screwed with those 85°C-rated caps.

I have an Europower EPQ1200 in the closet full of these Decon caps as well, except mine are the SHL series, which are supposedly their low ESR series rated for PSU use and rated for 105°C. I haven't recapped it, mainly because they are quite big and will probably cost quite a bit... and I don't use that amplifier very often (maybe take it out of the closet once a year), so I that's why it's not recapped yet.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  85' caps in a switching supply - insane.
                  CRT monitors and TVs often used 85°C caps and rarely had issues. Mostly small caps drying out on the neck board - but you know how hot that board can get as it's attached to the back of the tube (and very near the heater). That said, I have yet to see a Sony CRT TV or monitor with bad Nichicon VR caps. Or a Panasonic with its own Panasonic general-purpose caps.

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                  Using 85°C GP capacitors on the output of a SMPS is indeed a gross misapplication, but I'm pretty sure the fact that they are Decon made their failure all the more a likelihood.
                  Exactly.

You can bet that general purpose caps from the big Japanese manufacturers would have lasted much longer.
                  Last edited by momaka; 12-14-2016, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X