Onkyo TX-NR609 New DSP chip fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Onkyo TX-NR609 New DSP chip fitted

The question is, this chip has it's own software loaded in it, or it doesn't?
    I see them, for $15 or $62. Quite the difference.

Comment

No programming required. Onkyo installs an ST NAND256 chip on the bottom side of the board to house the U-boot loader and the Linux operating system so all of the code is housed in a completely different section of the board. As such, you can simply replace the DSP with a new one.
      from here http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...2018-a-75.html

Comment

It seems like, I will have one of these myself for free. Ebay purchase and they shipped the wrong receiver. They told me, that I can keep it. But I still wait, until it s all over, before I touch it.
        I haven't checked the network, but there is no audio, only video.
        Onkyo, doesn't repair this receiver for free. I have checked on that site.
        So, what are my options? Re-flow the DSP chip, or should I get another one?

Comment

If you have audio output then most likely the problem is somewhere else.

Oops sorry, you do not have audio, but video... well, from what I've read, faulty chips affect both video and audio... so start testing the other components before dealing with the DSP chip.
          Last edited by madan1; 06-21-2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

It seems that, I'm keeping this receiver.
            I wanted to do a firmware upgrade and also wanted to check, the firmware version and it is blacked out, also the network tab.
            This one, seems to be a DSP error, right? I don't understand why Onkyo won't repair it than?
            Speaker icons, do not show up on the display and there is no second relay click.

Comment

I have heated it up, quite for some minutes, but nothing happened.
              Maybe I have another issue? Bad relay?
              I'm not sure, where should I start.

Comment

I have managed to even remove the DTS IC and re-soldered it again and still no change.
                Firmware still shows a bunch of ?????????????, Network and Firmware tabs are still grayed out.
                I guess the only thing left is to get another IC.
                The only thing is, that I wouldn't like to be, in the ops situation.
                Any input, would be appreciated.

Comment

Eeprom maybe ? If you can find the bin remove the eeprom, flash it and put it back.

Comment

It seems like only one type of flash has the question marks, I believe something with the NET. All the others, have a version number.
                    The biggest problem would be, to find the bin file and also I would need a flash programmer. I see that, there is a Proman programmer on Ali, that supports this nand, it is around $108.
                    By the way, the nand is the Q3002? NAND256W3A2BN6E
                    Last edited by tibimakai; 07-04-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Maybe unrelated but with the 606 you could repair the ???????? corruption by flashing a small 8-pin soic I think it was a 24LCxx. You would have to get the bin from a working unit I suppose.

Comment

Hi all, new member here with a question about the Onkyo's in this series and repairs by Onkyo.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I can't start a new thread without posting something else first, so here's basically a "me too" - TX-NR616, had the DSP replaced under warranty recently, a month later the audio stopped working then something blew up inside - flash, bang, smoke. I'm going to try asking Onkyo to fix it, but I don't hold out my hope of that. I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have when dealing with them.

Comment

Most likely, a shorted channel. They won't fix it, the second time for free, that is for sure.
                          I have just tried and they said no. Mine is not even blown, just doesn't have sound, network and USB function.

Comment

A shorted channel would make sense - it was flashing a 1/4 second bad speaker message when it started, even with nothing plugged in.

Comment

Check Speaker wire or something similar.
                              You should take it apart and start measuring the final transistors attached to the big heatsink. Cut the legs of the shorted transistors and it should turn on after that.
                              Course, you will have to check all the components at that channel, including the parts on the vertical board. They are not that many, don't be scared. Just make sure, that you are not cutting corners, measure all of them. On the base(main) board, are only a few components to check. Most likely, the white big ceramic resistor is open.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                                ...They won't fix it, the second time for free, that is for sure.
                                I have just tried and they said no. Mine is not even blown, just doesn't have sound, network and USB function.
                                They most certainly will. I found a mint condition 616 at the curb with remote showing the classic symptoms of hdmi board failure such as yours. I looked up the serial number on line and saw it was already repaired under the extended warranty. I contacted Onkyo and told them it had failed again and they agreed to take it back.

I may have got lucky with the guy who answered my email in the first place but there you go.

Comment

Which Email did you use? I have tried the Onkyo forum and they said that, since I'm not the original owner and don't have a receipt, I'm not entitled for a repair. Onkyo offers a one time free repair.
                                  Last edited by tibimakai; 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by illegible View Post
                                    Hi all, new member here with a question about the Onkyo's in this series and repairs by Onkyo.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I can't start a new thread without posting something else first, so here's basically a "me too" - TX-NR616, had the DSP replaced under warranty recently, a month later the audio stopped working then something blew up inside - flash, bang, smoke. I'm going to try asking Onkyo to fix it, but I don't hold out my hope of that. I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have when dealing with them.
                                    I've had two of these repaired by Onkyo.One lasted 2 minutes, other one about 30 minutes.They've done the same thing,bang, flash smoke.I've sent them back to Onkyo and purchased two brand new tx-nr646 at a really good discount price

Comment

What is blowing up?

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                                        What is blowing up?
                                        Power transistors

Comment

I have noticed something, with these Onkyo receiver, the finals are not tight. None of them. You can tighten the screws, at least a quarter or half a turn. In my opinion, that could be the problem. All the Onkyos are like this. Every time I get one, I have to tighten all of the screws. I have repaired already, quite a few of them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X