X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello Badcappers,

Here be my journey so far,

Started at 9yrs old, tinkering with broken radios and cassette recorders. When my parents had enough scares (tinkering with mains voltages) and were fed up with my need to take things apart, my dad bought me a copy of 'Master Handbook of 1001 Practical Electronic Circuits' which I eagerly studied over and over. Getting my hands on any tools or components was the biggest hurdle living in a small community on a island, so projects were slow to complete.

Off and on until high school I kept reviving my desire to fix electronics. High school was where I really had a chance to piece it together. Access to accurate power supplies, signal gen, scopes, multimeters etc. was awesome. I did great on theory and tests; however, when the rubber met the road I let out the smoke. My attempts at circuit work always failed, I could pass the tests but the practical stuff eluded me. One day my instructor lost his mind with me, seeing yet another of my projects go up in puff. He looked it over and said, "...don't you know how to read a resistor...", I was shocked, of course I knew that. Found out I am visually color challenged, so I dropped electronics and moved to computers.

From there I rarely looked back. Electronics had given me the troubleshooting bug and from time to time I still fixed broken solder joints and wired house outlets. About 10yrs back I fell into it again, repairing computer power supplies and add on boards, the Internet had loads of information and videos to encourage me. Bought a few kits, an arduino or two, which rekindled my love of electronics.

Now as a hobby, I am learning to fix iPads, computer motherboards and the occasional flat screen tv.

Phil.

Comment

Hello, name is Garrett, came here looking for information on my Samsung 64" plasma that has failed 4 times and looking to replace common parts!

Thanks!

Comment

Hello everybody
        I just discovered your forum by looking for information about a Samsung TV power supply card and I must congratulate you for the quality of its content.
        I am French and for many years I am interested in electronics and microelectronics. I am currently in inactivity after working as an engineer at EDF (Electricité de France).
        Thanks for everything you can bring me and long life to your forum.
        Vévé

Comment

I realized that I've been a member since 2014 and never posted. So, hello everyone. Checking in from SC.

Comment

New member here Rad from Mobile.

looking for information on a Panasonic TC-55as680u with a born on date of August 2014.

The TV works for a while then shuts off. I can unplug it for a while and will come back on for a bit 15 minutes or so then turn off.

Worked just fine yesterday morning, issue started in the afternoon after the TV had been off for about 5 hours.

Comment

hi

Comment

Hello, Badcappers, Hello everyone! I'm from Russia, I've been repairing computers and laptops for more than 10 years. Currently I work as an engineer in one of the private workshops of the city.

Comment

Hey,

Long time lurker (and customer, say 2009-ish), finally registering to ask a question I can't find the answer too.

I've been doing board level repairs since ~2004. In high school I got a job with a company that repaired computer equipment for national companies. I was taught some basics by the real electrical engineers -- some guys that could literally fix anything I ever handed to them, no mater how small and microscopic the item was.

I enjoy fixing anything and everything I can from computers to cars, to whatever else breaks (washer machine, irrigation system, TVs, stereos, whatever)... I usually research online to find info before asking a repeated question -- normally it's out there.

Professionally I'm a SysAdmin. In my last job I was a Server and Network Admin and currently I'm a Mac Platform Admin.

Any who, we'll see if anyone still reads these...

- Zack

Comment

hello

Comment

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am trying to fix my tv that has no picture but has sound. It is a Sharp LC-50LB261U. I have done some basic troubleshooting by doing the flashlight test. With the flashlight test, I can see the images so it appears to be the power supply/inverter board or the CCFLs. I have 65 volts at the output of the power supply/inverter board on pins +vled1 and +vled2. Does that mean that my power supply/inverter board is good? I will repost this information on the thread that I was reading about someone else having the same issue.

A little about myself...I am an electrical engineer working in the telecom industry and do all of my own repairs (auto, home, machinery) if at all possible. I have just repaired a few tvs so far (mostly power supplies) but this one seems to have me stumped. I won't post too very often. I will read other posts to try to resolve my issues as often as I can. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Hello , its me

Comment

Hello from Tulsa

Hello, My first post. Found this site after looking at some failed Dell Small form factor PSU's. I am a network engineer and have worked with electronics since the 70's building Dynaco Kit's etc. Recently recapped a vintage Marantz and Hafler amps. Looking forward to try some flat screen PSU's and more. Great site.

Comment

Hi , I am Jeff in Arizona, Peoria. My Sharp TV LC-70LE857U not turn on, it blinks 2 short and 5 long on the ^ power light

Comment

Newbie here. I do repairs and restorations on audio gear for a hobby but a friend asked me to fix his dead LCD TV and that lead me to here.
                              I'll probably be bugging you guys for help sooner or later. Component mount parts are typically not my forte.

Comment

Hello, I'm Greg a new person to the forum. Little of my history in electronics come from first repairing my fathers car radio back in 78. I don't know what I did to it but it worked afterward and he was happy. I guess that led to 6 years of electrical schooling in high school. I secretly wired up the schools entire broadcasting system to a radio. They couldn't find out how music was playing through the speakers in every classroom for about two months. HE HE HE. I never got caught. I'm over fifty now and don't like the cold much so I like to stay in and tinker. In the past 6 years I've been buying recycled TV's and repairing them. More in the colder parts of the year. I've had some problems on a couple I couldn't figure out and stumbled onto this site. I'm not for posting much but do enjoy reading methods and tricks of the trade. I know there are a lot of extremely smart people on this site that could help when things get tough. I will also help out with my posts if I can be of service.

Comment

Hi , i'm here because my laptop broke down ...
                                  I think there is so much knowledge stuffed in here that i'll enjoy every minute i spend reading !!!
                                  Greetings

Comment

Hi, i'm from Portugal

I'm a technician and have repairing tvs and such, since the CRT, and from the time there was no internet, now is much more easy to get the information, and on every search i made about some electronic equipment faults i came across this site

Comment

Hello World

Comment

Hi there, I found this forum when googling about a Dell Power Connect 2724 PSU. Great forum, I look forward to looking around a little more.

Comment

Hi Paul here. I got a 300 in 1 electronics kit for Christmas as a kid and loved it. I have enjoyed tinkering to fix my own electronics since then. I'm here first to figure out how to fix my iMac power supply, and I plan on keeping this site in close reach, because I have read enough so far that i am convinced that it will be a valuable resource. Thank for creating it!

Comment

Working...
                                          X