samsung un50h6203af no picture but has sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

samsung un50h6203af no picture but has sound

Alright so I have this Samsung un50h6203af that has no picture but has sound that I got from a friend for free! So having a good general electrical knowledge I looked online and found allot of people talking about bad capacitors, so first I tested all outputs on power supply all fine within reason. Secondly I Checked for a few different inputs which was hard to do but I did it. No display but sound from different sources worked. No menu or nothing though. So having tv working like it should but without image on the screen, black screen but backlights are in fact working. Then I started up plugging connectors one at a time.

1st main board unplugged from power supply board, backlight came on but that was it.
    2nd unplug connector to led lights from power supply board functioned but still no display and no backlights.
    3rd unplugged t-con board from main board and this is when things got weird. Tv would turn on but very soon after backlights would shut off.
    4th unplugged the right half of lcd screen from t-con still no display but everything else worked as did before
    5th unplugged the left half of t-con board and this time I got somewhere sort of... So the half I unplugged turned white (whole Half of tv) other half (side still plugged in displays as it should!

So then I noticed something. My T-con board has 3 small blue led lights on it and all three of them are on and stay on with the right half plugged in but with the left half plugged in 2 are on and one flickers on for a second and turns off right away. I switched ribbon cables between the two and the problem didn't follow.
    So I decided since I could get all three boards for $40 shipped that I would take my chance and purchase them from a used tv that had physical screen damage. And low and behold same thing... So I inspected the boards that the ribbon cable attaches to, that attaches to the tv and I cannot see any physical damage so Does this mean the actual lcd display is shot? Maybe something on those small slim boards that went bad?
    Not sure where to go from here I posted a picture of the back of the tv as well as one with 3 leds on and 2 leds. I have a meter and can solder just an fyi.
    Thanks in advanced!
    Attached Files

Re: samsung un50h6203af no picture but has sound

Well I can tell you that already its not sounding like a good sign. If there's a short on that side of the panel its driving the t-con voltage into self protect. Something on that side of the panel is overloading the tcon board shutting it down. I've seen this before and yes it is a bad panel. you can carefully pull back the slim boards that connect to the panel in carefully inspect each one of those flex cables that have the embedded IC in them. Look for one that is over heated or damaged and there will be your problem. You could always look at the boards on the panel to see if there's anything shorted out but most likely it's a bad ribbon driver IC.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Alright will do Ill look when I get back home that's what I was afraid of... but I figured I would ask you guys here. Thanks allot!

Comment

So first off sorry its been so long (Been very busy over the past few weeks) but ok. So I looked into it and I didn't see any problem with the ribbons at all none really look like they got warm or anything or the two slim boards. So I started messing with the ribbon that goes to that side of the tv as well as the lvds cable and I got some picture on that side though it comes on and then will fade unless I keep connecting it and disconnecting it. and it will update one frame at a time I also hear a faint clicking noise (cant pinpoint where it is coming from).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dankawasaki; 12-07-2015, 02:43 PM. Reason: added picture

Comment

anyone? or is it junk?

Comment

Sorry to revive this thread. Just checking to see is a solution was found to this problem.

Comment

Unfortunately I found it was where the cable attached to the display and found no good way to hold it so I got rid of it.

Comment

thanks for the response. I started troubleshooting my tv some more and can see my problem mirrored yours. Would it be possible in replacing the cable attached to display?

Would be great if i can fix it. I purchased the tv less than 3 years ago and am disappointed by its early demise.

Comment

so... if your tv has tab bonded cables running on both side of the panel, the forum has found out, since the original posting of this thread, that you can potentially "save" the panel by removing the side tabs on the side that is bad. This type of "save" has been described in lots of sharp 70 in threads.... but other tv types may also be possible. Ultimately, the tv can not be fixed but it can operate in this "mode" for a while. You need to do some reading and probably post more around your tv based on your readings. IF you are lucky, the forum may get your tv back.

Comment

Just got this same model with same problem. Backlights ok but no picture. This thread here is the same issue.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=un50h6203

I will check the chip caps on the panel boards.

Comment

Unplugged left side tcon ribbon and get 3 blue leds on the tcon (only two lit up when not working) and right side display comes up indicating left side panel fault. Checked all chip caps on left panel pcb and none shorted. Looking like this TV is going to be scrapped unless someone can suggest something else to try.

Comment

it is possible that the set can be saved IF there are tabs along the side of the set. This is somewhat an old thread and since its start, people eventually found that many sets with problems with tabs along the side (both sides) can be SAVED by removing the bad side tabs. Lots of posts / threads on this type of "save". The result will leave the set basically "good as new".

Comment

This model doesnt have side tabs and I did read through the threads on side tab removal. I will double check the chip caps before scrapping.

Comment

note. the side tabs are only viewable from the front with the bezel removed. there isn't necessarily edge boards but it could still have tabs.

Comment

No side tabs. The panel is completely free. Appreciate the input.
                              Attached Files

Comment

ah.... but i see a picture. so the side/area on tthe white side has an issue. if there are no side tabs, there is the "cut off tape" technique that might allow a good picture by cutting off the signal goning thru the tcon to that side.

Comment

I have read about the scotch tape method of blocking some of the pins on the ribbon connector. On the left connector, I blocked about 5-6 pins on the leftmost side of the tcon end. Left side was blank, right side was good with lines but the third LED remained lit which was promising. Playing around with the number of connections blocked, the 4th and 5th attempt with 2-3 pins blocked, I have picture on both sides!!!
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by neilc6; 06-17-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

there you go!

Comment

Found this as well. He cut the flex going to the panel. Much easier blocking the ribbon connection with scotch tape but think the result is the same.

https://youtu.be/T8VunfD6-Zc
                                      Last edited by neilc6; 06-17-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Got another one of these in with same symptoms. Model UN50H6400AF.

Backlights working and no picture and 2 leds lit on tcon. Removed left side tcon connector and tv powered up right side with 3 leds on tcon. Covered about 4-5 pins on leftmost connector with scotch tape and tv powered up both sides.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by neilc6; 12-15-2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X