X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear Gs116v1 Bootup bad caps

Hi
    I have a Netegear Gs116v1 that had swollen caps, symtoms
    I replaced the swollen caps but i think that that pads were corroded before i could do anything

I plugged the power without anything connected in the switch and works but on boot up only the first 14 lights flash and not all of them.

Also sometimes the lights do not flash when i plug in the power but all the ports work ok

I was wondering if someone could confirm this is normal and share a schematic diagram for this switch PCB or tell me where i solder a wire from the two caps to another point

The two caps are PCE6 AND PCE8
    The ratings for these are 470uF, 16V

It turns on without these caps

Please can some help

Many Thanks

Re: Netgear Gs116v1 Bootup bad caps

Photos would help.

Comment

Does anyone have the schematic for this or the same switch please
      I do not have a powerful camera to take decent photos
      Many Thanks in advance

Comment

There are no Netgear schematics available for any of their products.
        Even a cell phone photo is better than no photo.

Comment

Hi
          All
          does anyone have the same switch as this please that can help me please
          Many Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lcdcaps1 View Post
            The two caps are PCE6 AND PCE8
            The ratings for these are 470uF, 16V

It turns on without these caps
            Ok, STOP right there.

Running any electronic equipment with parts removed that you aren't sure what they do is a recipe for disaster.

If you want to save the above router, I strongly suggest NOT to use it again until those caps are replaced. Some electronic circuits will go absolutely ballistic without proper filtering - in particular any DC-DC buck regulators. I've had quite a few electronics die due to bad caps (because the bad caps went so bad, that it was almost as if the caps were not in the circuit)

I do not have a powerful camera to take decent photos
            You don't need a "Pro" camera for this. Even a cell phone picture will do if you have nothing else. Not being able to see what we are working with makes it much harder to help you. And finding a schematic will be next to impossible, especially for small stuff like this. In fact, it's hard to get a schematic for anything other than TVs, amplifiers, laptops, and appliances these days.

So we really are better off with seeing whatever pics you provide us than trying to look for a non-existent schematic.

Comment

hi
              i was not running it without the caps
              just turned it on for a second to see if all the lights flash or just some on bootup
              but didnt so put them back

what could be stopping all the lights flashing ?

Comment

i was not running it without the caps
                just turned it on for a second to see if all the lights flash or just some on bootup
                but didnt so put them back
                That's more than enough time to do damage in some circuits. You don't test anything with components removed, even for a split second - not unless you know exactly what those components do in the circuit and you are sure the circuit will be alright without them.

So your router may or may not have been damaged by that. But I suppose we will see with further testing.

what could be stopping all the lights flashing ?
                I don't know. Like I said, we need some pictures of your boards to see if we can point you to some component to check (i.e. voltage regulators, caps, etc.). Right now, I am completely in the dark and have no idea what to tell you to check. Perhaps see if you can connect to the router's login page over wired/ethernet connection even though the lights are not doing anything. (Of course, do that with the caps installed.)

But unless someone else has any different ideas, that's all I can give you for now.

Comment

Managed to fix i
                  Thanks for everyone's help

Comment

So what was wrong, in case anyone else runs into this?

Comment

Working...
                    X