Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teapo capacitor quality

in hot country's or 24/7 builds,
    you want the psu fan doing what it's designed to do - move a lot of air.
    non of that wisper/thermal management shit - it's a psu killer.
    take the fan out and hook it to 12v - if it feels like it moves a lot of air - use it.
    if not ( most of the cheap 120/140mm fans are junk) then put something better in.

antec have ball-bearings and good flow rate if yur buying from a computer place,
    or salvage a delta or a papst or some other decent fan from something else!
    Last edited by stj; 05-14-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

^
      There's no way in the world I would do that. I hate fan noise, and if a PSU needs the fan to be running at maximum speed, then you're doing it wrong. Any decent PSU should be able to last 10+ years of heavy use with the fan staying silent
      Last edited by c_hegge; 05-14-2014, 08:55 PM.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        in hot country's or 24/7 builds,
        you want the psu fan doing what it's designed to do - move a lot of air.
        non of that wisper/thermal management shit - it's a psu killer.
        take the fan out and hook it to 12v - if it feels like it moves a lot of air - use it.
        if not ( most of the cheap 120/140mm fans are junk) then put something better in.
        More airflow isn't necessarily better. Think about the increase in dust accumulation with that amount of airflow over the years and how easy it would be for dust to amass and get "trapped" in between the heatsink fins, nullifying the point of more airflow to begin with (I know it's easy to occasionally clean the PSU, and that filters can allay that problem, but still). I think it's much more important to make sure the existing airflow is properly cooling the power supply (keeping certain that there's ample room for airflow, trying to avoid having wires and large inductors blocking airflow to the secondary, making sure the passage of airflow is as straight as possible to avoid hot spots, etc). Bottom mounted 120mm/140mm fans aren't necessarily better than traditionally mounted 80mm fans. The larger fans suffer greatly in terms of static air pressure and much of the airflow has to be either blocked or redirected 90 degrees.

As for Teapo's capacitor quality... I have been among the fortunate and have not seen that many failures from them myself, but given the amount of failures I've read from others, I'd say Teapo capacitors are terrible, like any other 'mediocre' Taiwanese brand. Of course, no 'lytic lasts forever and heat is the ultimate enemy of even Japanese lytics, especially aqueous ones.

EDIT: Momaka observed that Teapo SZ fail very very often on motherboards. I doubt they're reliable by any stretch of the word.
        Last edited by Wester547; 05-14-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

in hot country's or 24/7 builds
          24/7 is better for PSU's, especially the cheap ones with really hot 2 transistor stand by

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            I have been looking at quite a few FSP units (SPI "ATX-350-PN") from systems that are a few years old... They use all Teapo caps, some low-ESR "SC" series and some general purpose... So far, they all exhibit the same two bloated +5VSB Teapo "SC" caps (Which is probably because of overstressing, not lack of quality). None of the other Teapos are ever bloated (I re-cap them all anyways), and I would be very curious to check them if they are indeed in spec...

So I suspect that Teapo are generally OK in PSUs... I've even seen Compaq P4 towers that have Teapos scattered throughout, they seem to do ok as long as they're not in the VRM, and they don't arbitrarily bloat like KZG/TK/OST caps do.
            Just an addendum, since this thread has been resurrected... On certain FSP models (FSP300-60THN), instead of two 1000uF Teapo SC caps on the 5VSB, there is one 1000uF SC and one 1500uF SZ... In these supplies, the 5VSB does not fail because neither the SZ nor the SC bloat (Whereas where there are two SC caps, failure is imminent).

SZ is similar enough to Nichicon HM to be used on CPU VRMs. I wonder if they were/are a reliable series.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
              More airflow isn't necessarily better. Think about the increase in dust accumulation with that amount of airflow over the years
              there is no dust in a machine designed for 24/7 use.
              you presurise the case with more fans pushing in than sucking out and fit filters on them.

i have lost track of the number of dead machines i'v fixed because they didnt use filters & the cpu heatsink got clogged-up.

Comment

Originally posted by capacitorguy View Post
                I had good experince with Teapo capacitors I wont say they are excellent but in my friends old computer had teapo caps he had the system running much of the day for 8 or so years before the motherboard chipset went bad, I have the PSU (HIPRO) running in my computer now which is going well... nowdays he has another machine it has a coolermaster unit it is running windows 7 it was one of the last windows 7 stock machines before they went to 8 and i used the rest of his old system for parts. but still those caps just keep on going they could die tomorrow or they could die in 5 years or keep on ticking longer... then again im using it for daily internet and using a old AMD athalon 64 which is well for internet so light load will be fine on the thing
                yeah teapo is like wal-marts great value brand, you get great value.
                My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                  yeah teapo is like wal-marts great value brand, you get great value.
                  Hey, don't knock Great Value. We get their soda crackers imported from you guys to Canadian Wal-Mart and they are much better than Canadian soda crackers.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

got a 1982 4 switch atari 2600 and it has all original old school teapos in it, runs like a champ!
                    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

My 1984 Atari 2600 (PAL) has Wang's caps (enter penile jokes here). The board is stamped 1 JUL 1983, but the chips are later, one being from 1984. Not only that, they are socketed rather than soldered straight to the PCB. Not a surface mount component to be seen!

Unfortunately this console doesn't want to work properly (you'll find this machine on one of my early YouTube videos).

C21: 4.7uF 35V -> [in circuit]
                      C243: Wang's 2200uF 16V -> 2519uF, 0.04Ω

That's all of them on the entire board (I didn't bother opening the RF modulator section, as that would require desoldering).

I also got a low battery warning on my ESR70 just then and it turned itself off!
                      Code:
                      ** WarninΩ **
                      █ Low Battery █
                      Sure enough, the battery is now 9.87V. One original GP Ultra 23AE removed. I might try to zap this one back to life as they aren't that cheap, although alkaline batteries aren't supposed to be recharged (it never hurt any of my AA Duracells and Energizers I did over the years though).

Comment

Teapos aren't good for longevity. I'd say 5 years absolute maximum. I had a project where I had to replace hundreds of bad caps in psu's of cable boxes and all the bad ones were Teapos. the company was so cheap they gave us another cheap junk cap for the replacements. The cable company was Comcast

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                          With a lot more experience now, I can say that probably 15-20% of the Teapo caps I have encountered that failed, failed without showing any visible symptoms.
                          Yup, they often dry out or out-gas through the bottom bung, similar to G-Luxon. I've seen a fair number of failed Green/Gold Teapo SCs without any visible bulge - mostly from mobos. It's best to replace all Teapos on VRMs and Vcore rails at sight.

Comment

Originally posted by CapSwapper View Post
                            I had a project where I had to replace hundreds of bad caps in psu's of cable boxes and all the bad ones were Teapos. the company was so cheap they gave us another cheap junk cap for the replacements.
                            Stupid, but not surprising. What did they use for replacements?
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Teapos aren't good for longevity. I'd say 5 years absolute maximum.
                              My 2008 FSP PSU is still doing good, even with Teapo caps.

Nothing like that Deer 250 W PSU.....
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-16-2014, 08:52 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

12.5mm and 10mm Teapo SC may very well be almost comparable to top tier brands in terms of longevity. I've stopped doing mandatory replacements of them in PSUs. The 8mm Teapo SC are replace on sight however.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                  Stupid, but not surprising. What did they use for replacements?
                                  I forgot the name but it was a brand I never heard of. I remember it was just initials on the cap and it was shipped in yellow boxes with chinese writing.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                    My 2008 FSP PSU is still doing good, even with Teapo caps.

Nothing like that Deer 250 W PSU.....
                                    you should desolder a few and check the readings. The 2200uF Teapos I was replacing daily were reading 10 - 20uF with no leaks or bulges

Comment

you should desolder a few and check the readings. The 2200uF Teapos I was replacing daily were reading 10 - 20uF with no leaks or bulges
                                      Interesting. Were these the 10mm Teapo SC, or Teapo SEK?

Comment

I 've never seen Teapo caps large diameter go bad without bulging.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                          I 've never seen Teapo caps large diameter go bad without bulging.
                                          I have. 3300uF 16V 12.5mm Teapo SC read 0.33Ω ESR (was not bulging). But generally, yes the 10mm and 12.5mm ones seem to be more reliable

Comment

Working...
                                          X